aaa where the hell is the Andromeda? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: where the hell is the Andromeda?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25

Original Message                 Date: 01-Sep-00  @  02:18 AM   -   where the hell is the Andromeda?

p

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

No news, and no synth. When, where, and how much? You think you could get some updated info since NAMM at the Alesis web site, but no such luck. In fact NAMM is the only entry on the Alesis page showing any mention to the synth and no press release or statement is available about the synth. I just hope it's not like the car makers and their concept cars. They unvail the concept car at the big show, but when the production model is released it pales in comparison.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/247             09-Nov-00  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

oscillateur

The andromeda has VCOs, check the analogue heaven mailing list archives for info on this. Not DCOs, there are very good explanations by Mike Peake (one of the designers), and he definitely looks like someone who knows what an analog synth is.

Message 42/247             09-Nov-00  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

phunkytek

VCO,good news, now some of the fanatics will cut andromeda some slack.

Message 43/247             09-Nov-00  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

k

sorry .. i thought the 106 was a DCO VCF synth like the mks & jx3p?, or is it the weed?

anyways.. i called alesis already, and have to do it again.. i'm going to offer them the ability to bring the synth over and make an audio demo 'show' which we'll put on the radio feed channel....

the coldire processor is just the interface between the parts and the midi - see motorola.com for more... or search this forum for 'andromeda' cos i posted some Motorola website extracts to another older Andromeda thread.

Message 44/247             11-Nov-00  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

ivan

Link?: Link

The 106 is a DCO synth, but the Juno6/60 have VCOs.

Analogue Heaven is a good place, lots of info on the Andromeda. Hope the Andromeda is as good as it sounds (I don't have the money for it, but anyway...)

Message 45/247             12-Nov-00  @  06:08 AM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

H

Juno 60 is DCO too.I don't know if the sunsyns out.Are the new ferraris out means the same to me.Drummachine museum is a dealer.I wish I wish I wish.Nope the sunsyn didn't appear.oh well.If it is and you get one i wanna play w/ it.I know it's nice,and i've never seen or heard it but i've known about it since the xbase hit these shores and he told me it would be expensive but damn it's alot for a synth.My friend has an MKS70 w/ a PG800 i can pick up fairly reasonable so i think i'll try that.It's 2 JX8Ps in one or two.Yes I know it's DCOs but it's those High Dollar 80's DCOs and they sound much thicker than juno series.

I WISH I WISH I WISH,Nope i just can't seem to make a sunsyn materialize.

Message 46/247             13-Nov-00  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

phunkytek

106 DCO? yes, that is what i thought I typed. sorry! That is the point I was making, that DCO can sound very nice, and it's still analog. But it's not an issue because andromeda is VCO.

Message 47/247             13-Nov-00  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

The filter in the 106 is also digital. That's why the 60/6's sound better that the 106. The only reason folks like the 106 better is cuz it's MIDI, not DCB. Well, that and the fact that a 106 only weighs half as much as a 60. Maybe folks like the unison mode in the 106 as well, but I was never into it. Much prefered the 60. Simple, good sounds. Now where's this fucking Andromeda?

Ape

Message 48/247             14-Nov-00  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

k

no surely it's a VCF the 106?..(!)... it's a VCF in the mks/jx3p too... but the 106 sounds harder/fatter cos of that usinson mode, that is where it gets alot of it's reputation as 'a sound' -

Message 49/247             14-Nov-00  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Nope, to my understanding, the 106 is completely digital. I could be mistaken, but the guy who told me was one of ARP's head techs, and my repair tech until he retired. If you stick a 60 and a 106 side by side, the difference is immediately apparent.

Ape

Message 50/247             15-Nov-00  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: where the hell is the Andromeda?

phunkytek

well your understanding is wrong. It is DCO, VCA The osc is digitaly tuned and triggered from a digital envalop. Filters are fat as hell, and it has a analog non-resonant highpass filter as well. The only diferance between the 60 and the 106 are it is DCO instead of VCO, and midi has been implimented. Better tuneing and no sloppy cv/gat conversion needed to control it with midi. The reason a DCO is less punchy, is that old digital meathods were slower in trigering than VCO. So you get an attack that takes 2 or 3 ms more to fire. Newer DCO and Digitaly controled VCO are faster. My 101 looses punch when I sequence useing the cv/gate and sometimes misses an attack in a fast sequence. When ever you add steps to the process:ex:cv/gate conversion, the you slow down the triggering. You can compensate this by adjusting the entire midi track. I think the setting is slide in most track parameters areas. A negative value of -1 or -2 will trigger all midi notes a little earlier. It helps make your mixes sound tighter and more punchy.Don't dis the 106. It has a higher street value because it is more a useful tool than a 60 or a 6. I would'nt trade midi to get a little bit of puch that is only noticable when the units are side by side in a studio, but in a mix no one could tell and you are misinforming people!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25

There are 247 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)