aaa So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             17-Oct-00  @  02:37 PM   -   So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

Timo.Kiviniemi

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hmm... When is this possible???
And when u think stores are gonna drop their prices?

BTW
There's no mention about price cuts at www.korg.com but there are some new tracks of mine at website above  

Tinde

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             17-Oct-00  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

k

Link?:  No link

well i was told by korg some 4 weeks ago.... it's to drop to 995 rrp in the Uk, but with web sales that means everywhere, even IF they decide not to drop the price in other territorries...

um... but i think Korg won't let DT sell Korg cos we don't have an actual 'store/shop', but we might be able to do their card's at least, i have to talk to the korg UK rep soon.. if yes, then we can do 'em uk-wise, but, i dunno what our chances are - at the new price it is just creeping into 'very good value' territory, and as asio reports are all like down in the 1.5-5 ms area it's all looking good... No notice at Korg?... well, there ya go.... i have to say again the weay they handled this was terrible... all i said was based on MY knowledge of the market NO WAY can that price stand if they want to sell it... whatever people (inc' Korgs rep) accused me of motivation-wise, the proof of the pudding etc... i mean you don't sit here for 5 years listening to hundreds of thousands of mails & posts from people buying kit and NOT know these things... So now, despite what dan accused me of, we WILL support OASYS now it is the right-price, AND we would sell it AS WELL AS HOONTECH if allowed by Korg UK, cos they are not in any ways challenging each other or even the same type of product - The old Hooney i reckon is unbeatable in the price bracket for what you get, hence we plug it, and oasys again holds the same claim in IT'S market area now the price is realistic... but remember we also plug old Emax samplers to the max as well... so it's NOT about sales or trying to sell something, it's simply about trying to give readers an HONEST opinion based on experience of the studio workplace & techniques & marketplace etc... -

i think lowering the price this much is a good move for Korg cos it'll build a WAY bigger user-base, but for those who already lashed out around 2k in the last month or two, i dunno quite how THEY will see it, especially as they got no advice or news to the effect a price cut was due... quite the contrary in fact.. If anything it was deliberately concealed from them by the official OASYS news source !! -

There has also been NO notice either in the OFFICIAL OASYS forum... Anyways, i'll try to get my paws on one asap

Message 3/21             18-Oct-00  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

Timo.Kiviniemi

Have Oasys cost £2000 sometimes??
I thought the suggested retail price would have been £1299.

Thousand pounds ain't that cheap then. I thought the price would be same as the DIGI001, 999$.

Message 4/21             18-Oct-00  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

k

it will be once the price settles cos of online retailing whic has no borders for pc stuff

Message 5/21             18-Oct-00  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

phunkytek

I like the card's design and sounds, but at korg, they did not list if you could run two of them, and what kind of I/O devices are available. The talk about all the input types, but all I need is 24 analog 1/4 i/o's and spdif i/o. I did',t see info on the actual analog conversion device. just the card.

Message 6/21             19-Oct-00  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

correct price

I went to NAMM a few years ago where I was told in confidence that the planned price was going to be list $1,000. before the card was even officially announced. Obviously between then and when the card actually was announced, some greedy marketing types at Korg got a big head and thought they could put one over on the consumer. Well I think by now it is clear that the consumer has stood up to Korg and said: Hell no we won't take it anymore! There are way too many other and cheaper and better ways to do the same thing and more. According to this latest news, it seems that Korg is finally starting to see reality and hopefully will adjust the price to a fair offer, if it is not too late. Personally, although I would have bought the card if it had originally came out at $1,000 list (meaning $700. at the store), based upon the poor Keyboard Magazine review, I wouldn't buy it now unless it came down to maybe $600. list. I am still not even convinced that the bugs I heard about in the Windows software have even been fixed (referring to one of the oasys mailing lists). It is a shame too because here we had some very interested consumers waiting for a new product and we were all (except for that guy from Finland) sorely disappointed when Korg overreached. Well maybe for the next product Korg comes out with they will start listening to consumers more rather than trying to shove something down our throats. Are you listening Korg?

Message 7/21             19-Oct-00  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

correct price

I went to NAMM a few years ago where I was told in confidence that the planned price was going to be list $1,000. before the card was even officially announced. Obviously between then and when the card actually was announced, some greedy marketing types at Korg got a big head and thought they could put one over on the consumer. Well I think by now it is clear that the consumer has stood up to Korg and said: Hell no we won't take it anymore! There are way too many other and cheaper and better ways to do the same thing and more. According to this latest news, it seems that Korg is finally starting to see reality and hopefully will adjust the price to a fair offer, if it is not too late. Personally, although I would have bought the card if it had originally came out at $1,000 list (meaning $700. at the store), based upon the poor Keyboard Magazine review, I wouldn't buy it now unless it came down to maybe $600. list. I am still not even convinced that the bugs I heard about in the Windows software have even been fixed (referring to one of the oasys mailing lists). It is a shame too because here we had some very interested consumers waiting for a new product and we were all (except for that guy from Finland) sorely disappointed when Korg overreached. Well maybe for the next product Korg comes out with they will start listening to consumers more rather than trying to shove something down our throats. Are you listening Korg?

Message 8/21             19-Oct-00  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

alkio

Link?:  Link

Phunkytek:

It has stereo analog I/O out of the box, see:
http://www.korg.com/oasyspci.htm#io

If you just need a multi analog I/O card you'd better off with something else.

You can't currently use more than one Oasys PCI in the same computer.

Message 9/21             19-Oct-00  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

alkio

Correctprice:

If you read the mailing lists you can see that all the people who have bought the card have been really happy with it. Only gripe is that we all wish for more power - but Korg has clear numbers on polyphony etc. on their website so people should have nothing to complain about.

We are currently trying to sort out why some guys have problems with the card and Logic in the official mailing list.

So far I haven't read of anybody that didn't finally get thigs to work.

If you don't think the card is worth more than $600 then I think you should be looking for something completely different alltogether.

- Jouni

Message 10/21             19-Oct-00  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

k

if you added ADAT audio rack inputs and say an old esi or s series smapler, wired 8 outs to 8 in's on the adat rack then that'd be interesting... when you DO add the adat rack, are you still limited to just 12 mixer channels in oasys mixer or do these 8 adat in's create 8 new oasys channels ... I guess they appear at the vst mixer ...but from there they can have vst or oasys fx added if i remember right... anyone know before i check their site?...

well, if you DID add extra ADAT channels then fine, no hardware mixer in your setup at all?.. but with the fx in oasys, you could start to think of it as like sorta a O1V in as much as it'll route, pre-amplify, and eq & FX your incoming signals and from the converters on the rack just as with a dig mixer, it's all in digital domain past that point... now, you dont get 16 in's and you dont get hardware interface, but you get superior reverbs and fx i'd say to say an 01V, and high end synthesis to boot !.. i think therefore with rack & smapler added, it is a powerhouse system which at the same time solves your audio I/O problems.. have you seen the asio latencies?.. around 3ms!.... you must experience asio down below 10ms ...it is great !! and add's in effect another free set of input FX and realtime mixing in s/w of outboard inputs on the rack thru VST as well as oasys -

so with the adat rack , cable & a s/h sampler it would be like... another 500... cheapest 500-600 average and your seperate smapler outs can process thru oasys filters, eq's etc perhaps (if the data addition enables more oasys mixer channels to match. an adat rack costs from 250 upwards...

think about the possibilites as that is all wired to the vst or logic etc track heads ready to export/record.. just add master keys !.. that can be a cheap DX to get the sounds too...

ok, so say you started with a PC and no decent audio i/o and no studio and a hi -fi only for monitoring... a pc & hi-fi... ok.. and you want a whole setup without going mad moneywise, but it has to perform... you were thinking mebbe a sampler a few synths, a good soundcard & midi i/o, a small mixer, some fx....

you buy oasys, s/h smapler & dx21 or dx7 or dx9/11 ... adat rack & cable... total?... well at that 999 rrp even it still comes to 1600 MAX if you find a good cheap but solid sampler with 8 outs

what you have acheived for that 1600 is smapler, rack dac Input system direct to mixer with dsp & vst fx, internal dsp synthesis & drums, all to a VERY high standard.... if you added scsi to the pc you can record any combi of inputs and audio tracks to loops and export to smapler via scsi or to tracks... and a high end audio I/O system to boot

it's a complete solution you could use 100% to turn out pro sounding releasable music in any genre at all... just add mic & pre-amp (if needed)... at this price it looks very good value... as long as there are no bugs, but people seem to be getting it going who post reports in the mailing-list... we need more reports tho, and that needs more users...

Message 11/21             19-Oct-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

alkio

Oasys has 12 mixer channels (mono or stereo). This is fixed.

You can independently assign every channel to be an internal Oasys synth, take input from the physical connectors (analog/ADAT/SPDIF) or take a stream from other software such as Logic or Cubase (for processing VSTi synths or audiotracks with the Oasys effects, for example). Each channel can use the Oasys effects as inserts or sends, no matter what the source is.

I don't actually have a need for getting an ADAT/Analog converter box myself. I only feed the analog inputs from my Trinity V3. There are decent software samplers already and the Oasys can be used for sampling waves to be used with the soft samplers.

For dealing with non-electronic music a multitrack I/O solution would be a must, though.

Greets, The Brown Nosed Reindeer Who'll Tell Santa If You've Been Nice or Not

Message 12/21             19-Oct-00  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

k

ah !!.. well you could use the digital board couldnt you to go direct from the trinity in via s/pdif to the oasys for 100% digital domain?? - i thought trinity had this s/pdif option ..?

Message 13/21             20-Oct-00  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

phunkytek

I'm going to stick with my ds2416, and just get the rfx 32 for my e4. I like the idea of plug in architecture, but 12 channels doesn't cut it. I could route the spdif from my o1v to it, but I really want something closer to the protools expandability. I'm leaning toward scope and pulsar right now. I havn't heard the synths on it yet, but I'm more interested in the fx quality. I don't like the VST latency i have with my yamaha card. I'll be doing alot more with the sampler when I get the rfx32 , and puting less tracks to disk. I have a great set up, but I really want real time plug in archatechture on my card.

Message 14/21             20-Oct-00  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

alkio

Kilo,

There is an ADAT-option for the Trinity and the Hard Disc Recording Option has SPDIF (but would be overkill).

I've been considering getting the ADAT option but don't really need it yet since the Oasys analog I/O is so good that you don't know if it's analog or not.

But - if I sometime want to add _another_ synth then I could route that thru the analog inputs and get that ADAT option for the Trinity. I saw it for $75 on some US webstore so it isn't insanely expensive.

- Jouni

Message 15/21             20-Oct-00  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

bluton

This new price makes the OASYS card interesting indeed. But still I am not sure why I should get this card and not the Creamware Elektra. (I don't have any chance to try these two cards.) While both card seems to be underpowered, the Elektra has only one disadvantage being a resource hog which my system can handle that. The Elektra has 24 channel mixer,is around $350 cheaper, is very expandable, plays samples, has very low latency and it will even support my CDROM drive to play CDs. Please tell me if I miss something here. (OASYS fans please don't flame me.)

Message 16/21             20-Oct-00  @  11:42 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

alkio

It's actually a bit sad if a DSP card is a resource hog. One of the benefits of DSP cards shoud be that they free the CPU for other things.

Anyway, Elektra and Oasys are very different. Elektra is basically a modular synth.

Note also that Elektra has half the DSP power of the Oasys (even if it wasn't a resource hog).

Also, sample playing will be possible with the Oasys as well after the next OS version is available.

As for latency, I get 3ms or even 1.5ms ASIO latency with the Oasys. I doubt you can get any lower with the Elektra (not that there is even a real need for lower latencies).

Anyway, the two products are so different in concept that you really have to think what you want from the card. If you want FX processing or physical modelling, for example, Oasys is the clear choice. If you want an easy-to-use modular synth, get the Elektra (or Reaktor or whatever).

- Jouni

Message 17/21             20-Oct-00  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

k

well i'd get one at that price whilst they still exists in stock cos they wont have them forever...

and it is true, for me Korg biggest cock up with oasys is the inability to link multiple cards to get more channels.

Message 18/21             27-Oct-00  @  12:47 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

soundcarduser

i can get 2ms asio on my elektra with a pentium iii 800 computer. audio input through the card has zero latency !

Message 19/21             27-Oct-00  @  01:51 PM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

boomer

Hey soundcarduser,

How many voices do you typically get out of the Elektra, say if you run basic 2 OSCs+ VCF+VCA+ 2 LFOs? I am very interested in this card but I have a feeling it is just as under powered as the OASYS.

Message 20/21             31-Oct-00  @  07:14 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

opus

you poor british buggers pay about 400 british pounds for an item for sale in the US for $400 = $1.00= 66 pence i think. keep that in mind the next time you vote

Message 21/21             06-Nov-00  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: So, where and when can I buy Oasys under 1k?

soundcarduser

boomer :

with just an elektra, it is comparable in power to say, a nord micromodular. i also have a pulsar for 7 dsp's total. this is a really nice amount of power.

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)