aaa NI Kontakt thoughts please.... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             13-Sep-02  @  08:23 AM   -   NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

anyone running kontakt tell me how many virtual outputs you can have?

also hows the cpu usage compared to say the exs24?

cheers
stvy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             13-Sep-02  @  08:59 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Just took delivery of one.. gonna take a look this weekend.. granular timestretching hmmmm.. :-)

Message 3/22             13-Sep-02  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

k

it's pretty light, although I haven't compare it to EXS24... Kontakt loads as a default shell into which you put sampler objects... so you load a soundset and that loads into the rack as one section which is the section which holds the actual samples & key-mappings etc, then if you want to, you can add a filter section & fx sections etc... if you dont need them don't load them (I haven't yet)... so without any processing all it's doing is playing back ram loaded samples which is a simple task and not very cpu intensive.

It sounds good anyways... it comes with a very good selection of samples, my only criticism would be that it doesnt come with any strings... you get guitars (steel 6/12 string & classical), real acoustic bass, a good selection of drums & percussion and 'The best of synth' providing a selection of pads, leads and other synth sounds & fx... a good selection for doing contemporary production work basicaly... Like i said, all I need is some good string discs and also some selection of middle-eastern instrument sounds i'm sorted.... it's a good package all in all.

Message 4/22             13-Sep-02  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Nozza

Kontakt is pretty damned good. It's better than EXS24 in most areas except pure simplicity and the conversion of entire Akai CDs in one go. Other than that it is way better.

It's damned easy to use and has filters and modulation options that you'd only find on the most expensive h/w units if at all.

Message 5/22             13-Sep-02  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

toast

I dont like kontakt. I think it's really clumsy which the exs is not. In terms of quickly getting to all your sounds and quickly putting together basic patches the exs doesn't have much competition. In terms of specs, kontakt pretty much kills everything else. The filter bank on the exs isn't even in the same league as kontakt's and neither is anyone else's. As far as CPU usage goes for raw voices they seem pretty close with maybe a slight edge going to the exs.

Message 6/22             13-Sep-02  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

influx

DUNNO.. I sold my E6400 ultra in favor of Kontakt

Message 7/22             14-Sep-02  @  03:40 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

Hi,

Thanks people.

Looks like I'm going to go with the crossgrade deal for exs24 owners. 40% off can't really go wrong...

Bit of a shame theirs no strings...I don't really want any samples of NI synths really.

What are the drum kits like that come with it... Having said that only 3 months till I can afford a machindrum.. then I'll have to sample the shit out of that into Kontakt.. Hmm looks like I'll have everything I need to safely say I'll never finish anything again!

Cheers

Stvy

Oh by the way how many mulitouts can you get?

Message 8/22             14-Sep-02  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

k

16 as far as I know if the host supports it although I did here somewhere of a bug in one sequencer meaning the outs dont show - or was that battery?... i think bedwyr was saying something about it in another thread.

Message 9/22             15-Sep-02  @  02:55 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

Hi,

Is 16 the limit on mulitouts? I was hoping for 32 or so, I want to build a kit for percussion and I don't really want all the different types coming through the same outs. Seems a shame as I'll have to have several instances open. bit of a waiste of cpu.

Cheers

Stvy

Message 10/22             15-Sep-02  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

influx

you can DL the manual from the NI site and get a definitive answer there!

Message 11/22             15-Sep-02  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

256 voices, 16 part multi and 32 outs per
instance.

more than enough.

Message 12/22             15-Sep-02  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

k

whoops - ok I musta misread that or something... er...

Message 13/22             16-Sep-02  @  06:14 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

Hi,

32 outs thats what I'm looking for. Great. EXS24 will have to go then.....

I'll have to look into the crossgrade deal.

K - I think you heared about the problem with NI kontakt battery etc multiouts not working in Logic v.5.2 weird because reaktor v3.05 or whatever I have multi outs works great. I have heard that this has been fixed in the v5.3 logic release.

On a side not WTF are NI playing at with their updates? reaktor v3.3 still not here.... kontakt 1.1 with eXS24 import due early sept not here!

Come on NI

Cheers to all for their help

Stvy

Message 14/22             17-Sep-02  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

horizens

[image file]

all i know is KONTAKT MAC IS HERE.
WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Message 15/22             17-Sep-02  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

horizens

[image file]

and 1.1 is out with exs support.

Message 16/22             20-Sep-02  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

Just got Kontakt v1.01 working with v5.3 and I can now get 12 multi outs whereas in v5.2 it only operated in stereo.

However I was hoping for 32 as stated on the NI website? Anyone else using this combo? Also anyone using Kontakt v1.1 on the mac? How many outs can you get? Anyone one using Kontak VSTi in Cubase VST/SX Neundo? How many outs can you get?

I need to ascertain if this is a logic issue or a Kontakt issue before I buy Kontakt. Which I plan to do as sson as I can get this clarified and weather it will be fixed in the v1.1 update of Kontakt (if it is a Kontakt issue).

Does Logic have a limitation on the number of outs? Does the VST spec have a limitation?

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Message 17/22             20-Sep-02  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

influx

well I just set it up with 8 stereo and 12 mono. Dont know why I picked that number, though...

Message 18/22             21-Sep-02  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

Hi,

Niceo n influx looks like its a logic thing. AGHH!

Have to see if the v1.1 update sorts this out..

Cheers

Stvy

Message 19/22             21-Sep-02  @  03:51 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

well I worked out how to get more mulitouts in the Kontakt demo. I can select anything from 1 to 16 stereos or 1 stereo with 1-30 mono outs from the options window.

However, if I selct a combination of outs totalling greater than 16 LAWP v5.3 comes up with the following error when I try to open that song:

ASIO: Plug-in "Kontakt" of type 1-0 not available.

Now I guess this means that v5.3 is limited to 16 outs for a VSTi. Can anyone else confuirm this? AGHHHH!

Stvy

Message 20/22             21-Sep-02  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

well I worked out how to get more mulitouts in the Kontakt demo. I can select anything from 1 to 16 stereos or 1 stereo with 1-30 mono outs from the options window.

However, if I selct a combination of outs totalling greater than 16 LAWP v5.3 comes up with the following error when I try to open that song:

ASIO: Plug-in "Kontakt" of type 1-0 not available.

Now I guess this means that v5.3 is limited to 16 outs for a VSTi. Can anyone else confuirm this? AGHHHH!

Stvy

Message 21/22             02-Oct-02  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

Stvy

Hi,

Just been playin with the demo of v1.1 the EXS24 import works ok. Although the lack of streaming is a BIG problem since I only have 256MB RAM.

ALso the lack of VSTi automation is a BIG problem as well. I think I'm going to wait until these two 'issues' are fixed.

Cheers

stvy

Message 22/22             02-Oct-02  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: NI Kontakt thoughts please....

breakerbox

Link?:  Link

there is automation in kontakt its bunch of midi CC# s i think .. so you have to enter them to cubase manually .. kinda what you would do if you had a hardware sampler... i think they have the midi ccs on Ni's website... That bugs me too on kontakt...

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)