aaa Van The Great - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Van The Great

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             29-Nov-04  @  03:26 AM   -   Van The Great

Garuna

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Van is still the man. The latest soundtrack for Alexander is truly great. The film itself? Good entertainment, but being a bit of a history buff I thought he could have tracked the journey more instead of tapping the gay issue all the time. But, hey what's an Oliver Stone movie without some shit stirring?

Some of the best music is in the score and not on the soundtrack. Is there any way to get hold the original score for a movie?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             29-Nov-04  @  08:21 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

mcc>>>

the film is well done.
it starts a little rocky but once you get over (?) the fact that alexander is gay...
oh well...bi.....there's actually quite a story.
of course the battles are epic....maybe even setting a new standard for realism without seeking gratuitousness.

the inner-struggles are not only those of the great conquerer but also those of women and soldiers...and even beasts.

someone slap punk-ass kurt loder for wanting to deride the film to the extent of even calling vangelis' music ridiculous.
now what a pathetic dinner-jacket-of-an-excuse for a critic he is.

whereas ollie stone rarely disappoints.

Message 3/14             29-Nov-04  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

milan

there was a great docu on bbc or discovery few years ago where they actually retraced his steps, so they would say "and from this hill he fought thru to that other hill over there" and you'd see exactly what it looked like... but then: "and here on the shores of Gang the locals explained to him that the province had several million people and the regional army was about ten times greater than his, so alex hopped into the boat and decided it was time to head home" plus of course which ever desert he had to cross on his way baack... eek scary! i bet the film has nothing on it.

probably still gonna see it tho... hope its better than Troy whick sucked IMHO.

Message 4/14             29-Nov-04  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

Garuna

It's better than Troy, but not as good as Gladiator, which probably had an advantage of being the first of the new sandal/sword movies.

The most accurate account of Alexander is "The Campaigns of Alexander" by Arrian written 2000 years ago. Cool dramatic moments and quotes that could have been used in Stone's movie, but had give way for the psycho babble, a bit of a shame, really. Diificult to cover it all in 3 hours i guess.

Kurt Loder? The MTV guy? Well that explains it.......

Message 5/14             29-Nov-04  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

k

Link?:  Link

dunno anything about it... is all the gay stuff cos he was?... or cos they had crack frontline gay troops (they did i think)

btw, anyone see the Little Britain night last night - lol - that one sketch after the 'Gay rugby' was a classic

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/14             29-Nov-04  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

milan

well its not sure if he was or wasnt. in that time it was normal to be bi...

ok, i have the feeling the film is gonna suck IMO... gladiator wasnt too great either once you look beyond the spectacular visuals and the wicked soundtrack... thought it was gonna have way more content to be honest. that first battle kicked ass tho!

does anyone remember that robinhood film where he and the sherif are old, filthy, living in shit so to speak and in the final duel they can barely wield those 20kg swords what with all the armour and stuff? that one was the best i think  

Message 7/14             30-Nov-04  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

Garuna

"they had crack frontline gay troops " Hahahaha, no they didn't.... "Charge, woooooo, Die bitch!" ...... K, haha

It simply wasn't a big deal then, gay or bi. That came after the world religions, incl. Christiany. Ironic, isn't it, that gays are now so keen on "holy matrimony".

I like to think Alexander was so busy conquering he didn't have time to think of sexual orientation - he simply didn't care. That's the way the movie should have been made. A larger than life character who realises he can't be everywhere at once and self destroys. And then make it with a cast of unknowns.

Still, Milan, go see it. The battles and music are really awesome. Noone like Oliver Stone can build tension....

Message 8/14             30-Nov-04  @  03:09 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

S1GNALRUNNERS - Andrew

ahhh milan, tijs slaps you for that comment :P

gladiator is in my top list of movies, really love that film. absolutely beautiful- everything is amazing in it IMO, ridley scott is a genious. The music does make it much better, i agree with you, but thats a part of the film!

i have always been a sucker for an epic film :P well--- epic anything hehe

Message 9/14             30-Nov-04  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: Van The Great

k

"they had crack frontline gay troops " Hahahaha, no they didn't.... "Charge, woooooo, Die bitch!" ...... K, haha

ah well, now, it might not have been Alexandra, but one of those empires, the TRojans, or Greeks or someone, yes, factualy their top frontline crack defense troops was a 100% gay regiment. They were the most tanacious best fighters apparently. Take it or leave it but it's true

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/14             30-Nov-04  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: Van The Great

k

anyone watched the original btw (The Rise & Fall Of The Roman Empire) - exactly the same story of Maximus... good film, old style Hollywood epic

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)