aaa Need translation & pronunciation - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Need translation & pronunciation

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             08-Aug-03  @  07:52 PM     Edit: 08-Aug-03  |  07:53 PM   -   Need translation & pronunciation

Mick

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

"I've ta'en at oulart hollow"

I believe its Gaeilge but I'm really not well versed in such matters so please don't be offended by my ignorance.

The pronunciation I've heard on the recording is confusing in that it sounds like, "I've tammer too ter tallow", which looks nothing like the above spelling. Perhaps the transcriptions I've seen, of which the above is but one of many, are incorrect.

Thanks,

Mick

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             08-Aug-03  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

errata

This rang a bell somewhere in my warehouse, but as usual the crew is napping. What's it from? I'm feel like I've heard it before!!!

e

Message 3/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

Mick

"The Wind That Shakes The Barley"

Message 4/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

pict

Link?:  No link

It's not Gaidhlig(Scots) or Gaeilge(Irish) it's English possibly as spoken by a Scot.I have taken at oulart hollow(taken,is often pronounced as tain in parts of Scotland there is a lot of elision in Gaelic and Scots and a lot of glottal stopping).

The few lines you've given sounds like it is from a song or poem about a highwayman,oulart hollow(remote place?) being the place where he has taken(ta'en)loot from his victims.

Sealgair geoidh,

ròin is eala,

bhric a nì leum

'n fheidh nì langan

That's Gaidhlig unpronounceable to the non Gael and grammatically the reverse of English.

Message 5/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

Mick

Also, If anyone knows of a recording of a traditional arrangement I would greatly appreaciate the hook up. The only version I've heard is by Lisa Gerrard which is acapella (quite beautiful, though).

Message 6/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:19 PM     Edit: 08-Aug-03  |  08:21 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

pict

from Dick Gaughan's site
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/songs/texts/index.html

It's Irish

"I sat within the valley green
I sat me with my true love
My sad heart strove the two between
The old love and the new love
The old for her, the new that made me
Think on Ireland dearly
While soft the wind blew down the glen
And shook the golden barley

Twas hard the woeful words to frame
To break the ties that bound us
But harder still to bear the shame
Of foreign chains around us
And so I said, "The mountain glen
I'll seek at morning early
And join the bold United Men"
While soft winds shook the barley

Sad I kissed away her tears
Her arms around me flinging
The foeman's shot burst on our ears
From out the wildwood ringing
The bullet pierced my true love's heart
In life's young spring so early
And there upon my breast she died

I bore her to a mountain stream
And many's the summer blossom
I placed with branches soft and green
Around her gore-stained bosom
I wept and kissed her clay cold corpse
Then rushed o'er hill and valley
My vengeance on the foe to wreak

It's blood for blood without remorse
I took at Oulart Hollow
And laid my true love's clay cold corpse
Where mine full soon may follow
Around her grave I wander drear
Noon, night and morning early
With breaking heart whene'er I hear
The wind that shakes the barley

Written by Dr Robert Dwyer Joyce (1830-1883). The folk process has been at work on this and there are various small differences in the text as Joyce wrote it in most versions sung today"

Message 7/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

Mick

Thanks Pict (I knew you would come through on this). As an American singin English I would feel uncomfortable using anything but the proper translation so I'm still wondering how to translate it.

The complete stanza is as follows"

"But blood for blood without remorse
I've ta'en at oulart hollow.
I've lain my true love's clay like corpse
Where I full soon must follow.
Around her grave I've wandered drear
Noon, night, and morning early.
with breaking heart when e'er I hear
The wind that shook the barley"

The song, as I understand it, is about a young man leaving his, "true love", to join the IRA and upon saying his goodbye she is shot by, "a foe, man's shot", and dies in his arms.

Message 8/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:27 PM     Edit: 08-Aug-03  |  08:30 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

Mick

Pict, we seem to posting on top of each other.  

I looked for references to the original on the web but couldn't find any. Where did you find yours?

"The folk process has been at work on this and there are various small differences in the text as Joyce wrote it in most versions sung today"

I suspected that Lisa'a version was updated from a traditional arrangement to reflect the politics still current in Ireland, and the UK in general at the time of her recording.

Message 9/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:39 PM     Edit: 08-Aug-03  |  08:45 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

pict

I've got an .mp3 of Dick Gaughan singing and playing this song he is regarded by many as THE voice of Scottish traditional music,that I could post up somewhere for you to download do you have somewhere I can upload to?

I could even slap a quick version together myself.

Message 10/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

errata

Thanks lads...

That woke up the crew... and they got to work.

Love this song, in the many ways I've heard it... I have a recording of the Dubliners singing this somewhere... but it was Lisa Gerard's that came to mind while reading it..

Always gives me chills... thanks again

e

Message 11/17             08-Aug-03  @  08:54 PM     Edit: 08-Aug-03  |  08:55 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

Mick

Pict, how can we exchange e-mails without either of us publicly posting our addresses?

Major thanks.

Message 12/17             08-Aug-03  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

errata

"Scene of a famous battle during the 1798 Rebellion. Panoramic views from the top of Oulart Hill, where a series of commemorative stones have been installed, one in respect of each battle site which can be seen from this elevated location."

It's near Wessex, in Ireland!

e

Message 13/17             08-Aug-03  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

errata

Whops... sorry... Wexford!!!

e

Message 14/17             08-Aug-03  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

pict

WESSEX!!!! anglo saxon or what!

Message 15/17             08-Aug-03  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

pict

Mick if you click on the view user link next to your handle you can send an email to me without the rest of the board seeing it.

Message 16/17             08-Aug-03  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

errata

i deserved that!

e

Message 17/17             09-Aug-03  @  01:34 AM   -   RE: Need translation & pronunciation

pict

Mick here are some links at this url

http://www.cernunnos.com

to some of the songs.I'll leave them there for a couple of days let me know if the links work for you.

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)