aaa s3000xl weird sample behaviour - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: s3000xl weird sample behaviour

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             18-Sep-99  @  06:04 PM   -   s3000xl weird sample behaviour

Purple Haze

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Earlier today I had something weird happening.

I had cut up a loop and transferred the individual parts to my s3000xl using nicewave.
When replaying the loop (triggered from cubase) I noticed gaps in it, and when sampling it again and comparing it to the original in soundforge, it seemed that every individual sample was starting to fade out a bit before it had to end.
When adding a bunch of silence after each sample and sending them to the akai again the problem seemed to be solved.

Now, I thought this might be an envelope problem, so I adjusted them but it didn't make any difference. I put the playback-mode to 'TO END' in the multi/edit/smp2 screen just in case my midi-notes weren't long enough or cubase was sending a 'note-end' signal before it should, but still the same problem.
BUT when setting playback mode to 'LP til R' they were playing fine, except for some causing some weird looping (I noticed wavesurgeon tends to add loop-points when saving indivudual samples, god knows why).

Now I don't know what's going on, but I'm a bit baffled by this.

When I set playback mode to 'TO END' and use absolutely no envelopes, shouldn't the samples just play the way they are without starting to fade out ???

Anyone else had this happen ? This sucks! HELP!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             19-Sep-99  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: s3000xl weird sample behaviour

Purple Haze

C'mon people help me out here.

I tried it with another sample, one that clearly doesn't fade out in the end but was just cut off in a loud part.
I send it to the akai, put playback to 'TO END', so that it just needs a trigger to play the sample till the end (at least, that's what the manual made me believe), but a bit before the end it fades out!
Aaaargh! Now i now why my breaks sometimes sound more choppier when cut up and send to the akai!

It finally happened.... I'm going slightly maaaaaad!

Message 3/7             08-Oct-99  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: s3000xl weird sample behaviour

DustLust

Knowing the way samples get written(just through much experience of computers] I would say this is either screwy software ie: you mention using some software (but what platform is that ? ie win95 mac what?

Some software will work ok but screw with your samples if theres a problem with it - if youre using win98 / 95
uninstall the software then go to the windows directory and start up regedit.exe and search for nicewave. whenever you find a nicewave reference edit it out and when you've finished reinstall the software

OK so if this doesn't work I was wrong but in my experience esp with windows it's the software you try first - Will repost if this doesn't work

Message 4/7             11-Oct-99  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: s3000xl weird sample behaviour

Purple Haze

Thanks for the suggestions, but... (btw: nicewave is a windows program, but also tried sending it over midi using wavesurgeon and soundforge and got the same results)

If I send a sample (not faded out) to the akai, the akai fades it out (dynamically) when it plays it, then I get it back from the akai, save it as wav and compare it to the original, and it turns out to be exactly the same ??? Then I don't think it's a problem with the software.

In the meantime (after posting this question to several other places/newsgroups/mailing lists) I got reply from several other people who had noticed exactly the same. Only advice they could give (if any) was to add some silence after each sample, so the 'dynamic' fade-out caused by the sampler falls in this silence and thus doesn't affect the playback of the 'real' sample.

If you've got an s3000xl (probably also other akai samplers), try this yourself... take a sound and just cut the end in a loud part so that it abruptly cuts off, now send it to the sampler and hear the sampler fade out the tail. Not a huge fade-out, probably only just enough to avoid clicks when using badly cut samples, but very noticeable when finely chopping op a drumloop.

Message 5/7             20-Oct-99  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: s3000xl weird sample behaviour

M

Get Millenium.. works perfects... I think? dunno where to get it though..

Message 6/7             20-Oct-99  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: s3000xl weird sample behaviour

-

I heard about this flaw of the s3000, I guess it was used to avoid clicks. Does the mpc2000xl have this problem too?

Message 7/7             24-Oct-99  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: s3000xl weird sample behaviour

Purple Haze

I guess the mpc2000xl has the same 'problem'. Better ask a 2000xl user though.

M:Thanks for the tip, but this really isn't a problem of what program is used to transfer the sample but a problem with the sampler itself.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)