aaa How should I fit my MPC2000XL into my setup? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: How should I fit my MPC2000XL into my setup?

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             29-Nov-99  @  06:53 PM   -   How should I fit my MPC2000XL into my setup?

casparproject

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ok, here's my current setup. I have the following gear

Access Virus
Akai S20
Korg ER-1
Yamaha RM1X
Yamaha TG-33
Roland MC-303
Mackie 1202VLZ
And of course, my new MPC2000XL

Now, originally I bought this unit because I wanted

a) a sampler with smpte and a scsi
b)more ram than my S20
c)timestrech
d)the ability to work like a drum machine

I'm live performance based, so I usually play by alternating b-tween seq's on my 303 and my RM1X, and tweak all the gear they control. Should I maybe learn how to use the sequencer on the MPC and start using that too? I was thinking I should probably dump my 303 sequences into it and get rid of it, but the RM1X with its 8 reassignable midi knobs is kind of a godsend (unless I'l be better off buying a peavey midi fader box). I'm basically confused as to where I should be cutting back, and where I should be adding. I don't think buying this box was a mistake, as I've been wanting one for the longest time, and they are soooo solid. Please give me any help/feedback you can.

Peaceout
Peter

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             30-Nov-99  @  03:04 AM   -   RE: How should I fit my MPC2000XL into my setup?

ModAsBlue

Link?:  No link

Whoah....

You have a wierd combo.

Ditch the 303 and the RMX1.

Totally....you don't need those toys. I know a lot of people on here give props to the RMX1, but fuck that dance market bullshit.

I would use the MPC as a Sequencer/Drum Machine (that sounds pretty ... empty, I mean...obvious, as that's what it's built for, but...)

I would use the external midi on the electribe to drive your Virus and (is that other Yamaha thing a tone generator? I think it is?) whatever to sample into the MPC to save polyphony. That seems wierd, but the reason that *I* do this sort of thing is to make sure that If I sample a sound, I can be sure that it has X velocity and Y gate time.

If I were you, my next purchase would be a rack sampler that is more synth capable. Once you get rid of S&S boxes, you start to get your own entirely unique sound because you literally make your own sounds.

I dunno...that's just my take.

I use an MPC and a JP8080 (which I'm trying to rid of). The MPC is of course my drum machine/sequencer and I ripped some necessary samples from my XP before I sold it (pianos, organs, etc.). Every synth noise I use is either sampled from my 8080, produced by my 8080 (directly) or ripped from the internet.

GO HARDWARE! I have camaraderie with us oldschoolers who still hardware sequence.

Oh, and by the way, that new 1.07 Update for the MPC is total crap. It crashes left and right. Stick with 1.06 until the next update. (If you try 1.07 and it doesn't crash when you do complex timing changes (changing global swing% or the velocity% for a whole track) let me know, maybe it's just my memory that's shoddy.

Message 3/3             08-Dec-99  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: How should I fit my MPC2000XL into my setup?

dru

Link?:  Link

i was in a similar situation a few months ago i had a 505 running my keys and mpc running drums and samples...drop everything to the mpc sell the other boxes trying to sycn all those things is a chore trust me. i like the 505 alot for keyboards but the mpc is a workhorse sample everything you use from those boxes sell them get a rack sampler or another synth

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)