aaa Too many hard disk read errors...s2000 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Too many hard disk read errors...s2000

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             02-Dec-99  @  09:15 AM   -   Too many hard disk read errors...s2000

martijn.as

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am using a s2000 with a apple cd-rom and omega zip drive connected. Every now and then when I am loading samples from one of those drives I my sampler says: Hard disk read error. I am using original sample cd's and new zip disks. It happens totally random. A sample which contains an error according to my s2000 can load the day after without problems. It really pisses me off because when an error is founded, the loading process stops which sometimes means i have to load 40 loop samples by hand! Oh, btw, i am using os v2. Anybody had this as well? any suggestions? Thanks...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             05-Dec-99  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: Too many hard disk read errors...s2000

k

well, dunno bout akai, but e-mu recommend an Apple scsi cable.. dunno if that matters to your unit, maybe a dodgy connection, maybe something else - hard to say - if you go to akai site (akaipro.com i think) , do a search for scsi, there is listing of recommended paroducts - see if your's matches for a start... what do akai say ?... did you mail them ?... also, is there any similar circumstance in which this occurs, maybe you missed it, or is there any similarity in WHAT it chooses randomly to NOT load ?

Message 3/6             04-Jan-00  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: Too many hard disk read errors...s2000

ggc

I had a similar problem going on after moving my gear about, and by accident found the problem to be the hardrive cable was slightly bent. Try straightening them out maybe. I've had no problems since.

Message 4/6             06-Jan-00  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: Too many hard disk read errors...s2000

martijn.as

Yo, thanks for the tip. I did some investigating on the problem and i found out that if you once had an improper scsi connection, it might damage the hardware. Do you know if this is true, and if, what part is damaged and how to fix it? thanks,

martin

Message 5/6             07-Jan-00  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Too many hard disk read errors...s2000

ggc

I haven't had any problems since making this little correction. Everythings working fine. Only problem is I lost almost all my samples on my hardive while trying to sort the problem out initially. Oh well.

Message 6/6             21-Jan-00  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: Too many hard disk read errors...s2000

Purple Haze

What's in your scsi chain ? Is it properly terminated ?
Does it also happen when you connect either the cd-rom or the zip drive ?
Are you using a zip-plus drive ? When it turned out the zip plus scsi implementation was rather buggy, iomega stated that it should be the only device in the chain (check http://newmedia.com/threads/iomega/messages/435.html ).
Has it happened when you just started the sampler up ? (chips and godknowswhatother electronic components might start failing when they heat up).

scsi can sometimes be tricky... my esi32 didn't seem to have any immediate problems with my plextor 4220 in the same chain, but after a while it turned out that it would crash when saving to zip about 1 in every 5 times. When it's just my pc -> old sony cdrom -> zip -> esi it's never ever crashed.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)