aaa S20 viable as beginner sampler? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             08-Dec-99  @  10:51 PM   -   S20 viable as beginner sampler?

Ryan.Avery

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

OK, here's the preamble: I currently have a computer setup based around a Yamaha SW1000XG. It worked wonders for quite awhile, but I am now realizing that quite a lot of the world of music is closed off to me without a sampler, such as good breakbeats. So, I have a couple of questions:

I have read that the Akai samplers are the way to go, but alas, I do not have a budget at the moment for a S2000. I have heard that the S20 is a very good budget sampler, but I am concerned with a few of its limitations. First of all, will the lower amount of RAM be a problem? It does not have filters, but will I need filters if I have a computer that can filter the samples before putting them into the sampler?

I have to admit, the whole world of sampling is new to me, as I have been using synths and software trackers ever since I have been doing music. Also, can anyone recommend another good budget sampler besides the S20? I have about $500 to spend, but I would go up to about $650 if there was something really good in that range. Keep in mind that I have a computer-based setup, so I don't want to be redundant in terms of features if that can save me money...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             10-Dec-99  @  08:56 AM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

Jasper

Link?:  No link

Save your pennies (dimes?) for a larger sampler like the s2000, or the emu esi32 can be had for cheap second hand.. you can filter before loading into a sampler but you'll be losing the real-time filtering capeability.

If you are concerned about anything then you allready have a pretty good idea of what you expect from your new machine.. It seems to me that you know what you'll miss so you WILL miss it.. then you'll be wishing you had bought a better one and the whole rigmarole starts again. Read up on all the samplers you have heard about and see if any of them suit you.. remember that a lot of old samplers were the basis of many a fine floor-filler tune,

I reckon on the emu esi32 for your price range, the latest os is rather good with plenty of filter types to play with.

Message 3/9             10-Dec-99  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

k

or look at cheaper roland emax2, s700, s950, emax-1, etc - all great samplers - you gotta get one wired in to really appreciate how much power just a cheap REAL sampler like that can get you... try Samplers section/Budget-samplers

Message 4/9             10-Dec-99  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

Ryan.Avery

Thanks for responding. I think I'm going to wait a bit before I buy a sampler. I still have a lot to research, and I'm not exactly in need of another addition to my setup (I should try to maximize what I have now first).

I will probably end up saving a bit more money, and end up getting a budget "real" sampler...

Message 5/9             07-Jan-00  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

emailsucks98

yO, I have an s20, you might see it here on this site. I like it quite a bit, I would suggest it over other cheap samplers...The beatloop functions allows it to be used as a phrase sampler wherer you can just type in the tempo you are working at and it will make your loop that tempo. Also, you can map differrent samples to differrent midi channels and program #'s, etc., which is a must for drums.(hint-map all your drum set's to GM standards!) You can cheaply expand it to 17mg cheaply, thats 5 miutes or so at cd quality, but you can only save to floppies- a drag if you mant to gig with it. I just load it up and leave it on, no problem. Another drag is that it won't read .wav files, although there is free software that will convert to akai format. The bottom line is that with extra RAM the only thing that separates this from nicer akais is that it lacks a scsi out, and has no filters(which you can do outboard) It works great in a big midi set-up, though...

Message 6/9             07-Jan-00  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

R-Tek

I was told u couldn`t map a sample across the KB on the S20 though? And it doesn`t have any LFO`s.

Message 7/9             07-Jan-00  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

k

a budget real sampler is already within grasp - the guy from the prodigy uses 6 w30's, coldcut made their name with FZ's, janet jacksons seminal 'rhythm nation' was done to a large extent with an E3, one of tribe called quests criticaly acclaimed albums was done totally on an s770 - what is pro? -

it's all about the sound and flexibility, those cheaper 12 bit samplers are fully featured and i've personally had nuff deals on the table with a 500k-1mb 12 bit real sampler.... also it'll give you a great grounding in knowledge when you get a bigger memory/faciliies one, also, those low budget samplers are at rock bottom, if you sold it in a year, you wouldnt loose much... anyways, don't underestimate those units, i bet you wouldn't sell it... in fact i'd NEVER part with my 12 bit sampler, i use it all the time... i got enuff money to go out tomorrow and buy an a3000, e5000, e64 series etc... or an s5000, but why bother, i get the hardest warmest banging sounds already... (bare in mind i'm a minimalist   -

for live work, i'd like more memory for sure, so if i get back into that, i'd want a backup sampler with 8mb or something - plenty for an hours set... finally, if youve never owned a real sampler, i cant even start to emphasise what an impact getting say an emax or w30 has on your life - freinds will never see you again, family will think you are lost at sea... etc...?...

still, surely you could get an esi32 or s2000 for $500 aint it now ?.. anyone on US esi32 prices?... in britain ive seen em at £299 in last few months... i'd have thought you had plenty enuff money for a s/h one of either

Message 8/9             08-Jan-00  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

Ellipsis

esi32 = about 400 to 500 loaded...

Message 9/9             09-Jan-00  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: S20 viable as beginner sampler?

k

there ya go ! - get one and be happy :-)

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)