aaa breakbeats with a sampler - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: breakbeats with a sampler

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/25             18-Dec-99  @  07:41 PM   -   breakbeats with a sampler

Ady

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I want to know which sampler is best for breakbeats

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/25             19-Dec-99  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

k

any sampler will do it

Message 3/25             24-Dec-99  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

rustynail

Kilo is absolutely correct....

Its all in the sequencing....

I also hear that the newer EMU samplers have a lot of neat processing features that may be useful with breaks... but I dunno for sure, since I never actually used one.

Shawn

Message 4/25             24-Dec-99  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

R-Tek

Nah, that beat munger on the ultra is a bit hit and miss really - sometimes you`ll get great results, but all too often the damn thing will only find 2 or 3 beats in a yer bar. No big deal though, knowing e-mu, they`ll sort it properly into something more along the lines of recycle with and OS update.

Message 5/25             27-Dec-99  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

wai

Beat Munge is good, infact v.good, but for tempos below 120bpm. Not much use for a junglist like me. but i tried time expanding a 170 amen into 85, with swing feel and it sounds real cool

Message 6/25             22-Jan-00  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

chris

I know this is the Akai chat area but...the sp-808 is pretty good for doing this.Once you make a beat(or sample one) you can lay a few measures down on the sequencer and then rearrange it using the cut and paste features.Then all you have to do is transfer your beat back to a sample pad.It's so easy.

Message 7/25             23-Jan-00  @  08:53 AM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

R-Tek

U can do that on virtually any sampler, and you`ll prolly get more than 4 note poly and even envelopes.........and mom-proprietry(sp?) format thatll let u send samples between that and other samplers and/or computers for extra processing.

Message 8/25             24-Jan-00  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

chris

Hey R-tek why don't you give this sampler a try before you dis it! You obviously don't know much about it besides what you've read. You can send samples to your computer. They are in .wav or .aiff files. It does have envelopes and filters and such.The four note polyphony is not even a problem.RESAMPLE< RESAMPLE< RESAMPLE. Check one of these things, or just don't say anything at all. The demo is not that great, I warned you.

P.s. I got music going up on MP3.com soon, all done with the sp-808.Do have any music R-tek? That was done with your big bad equipment.MPC right...

Message 9/25             24-Jan-00  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

R-Tek

I don`t need 2 have used one 2 know that an upgraded SP202 is gonna b lacking next 2 a proper rackmount.

Message 10/25             24-Jan-00  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

chris

Check it out R-tek, I don't come to this site to get my gear put down. If I wanted that I would go to the skratchpiklz website. Do you ever hear me say MPC 2000XL, what a piece of shit...the emu 6400 ultra fucking sucks.HELL NO. Keep it to your self. The sp-808 is no where near the sp-202 anyway. You are so wrong. Also, what you are doing is probably different from what I do, so my gear may not accomodate you like it does me. Peace.

Oh yeah, what about those tracks? Ya got anything to show, bro?

Message 11/25             24-Jan-00  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

R-Tek

Damn, why r u getting so uptight?

Truth is, the MPC sucks as a sampler, I never said I was some sort of creative genius did i? I aint fronting with any tunes till I`m happy with what I`m doing.

If I`ve been fed some misinformation about it, then I apologise, but I did get that stuff from a wishlist on a site devoted to 808 so I took that as being a pretty firm fact.

I never said it was a piece of shit, just that it dont standup 2 other rackmounts in its pricerange, which I still feel is fair comment.

Like I said, no need 2 take it personally.

Message 12/25             24-Jan-00  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

chris

Thanks for the apology. Maybe my samplers not the best, but for what I do, it's great. Of course I would love to have more though. I just feel like positivity is better than negitivity.

I definitely want to hear your tracks when you feel like there completed.I hope you do the same for me.

The site your talking about is one that I frequent, as well as this one. Some of the info is fact and some is fiction. Don't believe everything you read.

Message 13/25             24-Jan-00  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

R-Tek

OK, Cool. I`ve just been 2 that site anyway and the thing about it not having envelopes aint there - its actually on the Roland US site as a review from Keyboardmag. I thought seeing as Roland posted it 2 their site, then it must b true.........which obviously it aint, so I`m only half a dickhead (I love blaming other people 4 things).

Message 14/25             24-Jan-00  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

chris

I actually have that issue of Keyboard. There are a couple of other things in that same review that aren't true too! One of them being a "karaoke" feature to block certain things like vocals and stuff. There are a few isolators, but no karaoke. I believe when that article was written all the bugs weren't worked out and there were changes made.
R-tek's no dickhead, just misinformed.

See ya later.

Message 15/25             25-Jan-00  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

k

ye3ah well, prolly keyboard mag didnt even hands-on review it -by the way the A3000 has a recycle-type beat cutter which also generates a midifile for the cut sounds... also it has beat-rearranging, where the sample is re-arranged on the fly and played back continually with different random cut-points.. when you hear one that you like, you just save it, and continue... also, it will 'Listen' to your CDinput and sample each audio part on the playlist trimming it and saving it to ram.. nice !!!... in other words, plug-in an audio sample CD, and it'll sample trim and save all the samples one after the other presented to it's input while you go and have a nice cup of tea (if you are english) - oh.. and cucumber sandwiches

Message 16/25             25-Jan-00  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

chris

Just for the record, the 808 does that too.

Message 17/25             25-Jan-00  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

chris

It doesn't have the midifile stuff though.  

Message 18/25             07-Feb-00  @  07:54 AM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

digiphallus

I think the Sp808 kicks ass in some regards. Of course, there's areas that it can't match a studio rack sampler, the polyphony thing is kind of ridiculous, resampling or not..even the little Zoom St224 has 8note poly with digital resampling...but there's areas that a studio rack sampler can't match an Sp808...like interface for example...which one feels more like programming a VCR?

Personally, I wish they'd make more of these tabletop type samplers like the Asrx, Sp808, MPC etc, with specs, effects, and resampling that can rival rack units. Something with the sequencer from the Mpc and the sampling power of the Asr would be unbelievably rad.

Message 19/25             08-Feb-00  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

synthy

WRT k's comments on the A3000's breakbeat abilities (just a few clarifications - nothing personal):

Beat chopping (Loop Divide): true, the A3000 chops up the sample into segments, but the segments won't necessarily turn out to be each drum-sample start-transient if your loop isn't trimmed properly before executing the Loop Divide. According to SOS, this is also the case with MPC2000XL's beat chopping.

MIDI file associated with Loop Divide: i owned an A3000 for 8 months and never knew that a MIDI file was created when Loop Divide is executed! Where did you get that from?

Beat "munging" (Loop Remix): true, only if the loop is properly trimmed, unless you're like 99Devils and prefer glitchy loops. (hi Craig)

Automatic Trimming: input threshold determines start of sampling, and the sampling ends as the input level drops to the threshold level (adjustable via SRCIN/OUT).

Automatic Assignment of samples upon recording: in practice, this is way cool, because the A3000 names and assigns MIDI note numbers to the individual samples by itself. HOWEVER... a significant limitation is automatic assignment to a "SAMPLEBANK" (i.e. Multisample), since an A3000 samplebank can only contain up to 64 samples - SOL if your drumloop CD has more than that, and if you want them all in one Samplebank...

synthy

Message 20/25             09-Feb-00  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

99devils

Err... umm... do I know you?

:-)

-Craig

Message 21/25             09-Feb-00  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

synthy

Craig,

I'm from UB (we shot the sh!t @ gasstation eons ago.)
You thought you'd seen the last of me, huh? :-)

synthy

Message 22/25             11-Feb-00  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

99devils

Ahhhh!!!

-Craig

PS there are no glitches in my loops!

Message 23/25             23-Feb-00  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

eddie

anyone touched the su700?
is it same inside as the a3000?
could it be rival to mpc?
i know this is not the right chat room but since someone mention the a3000...

Message 24/25             20-Mar-00  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

casparproject

my glitches are loopy though. does that count?

peaceout

Message 25/25             20-Mar-00  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: breakbeats with a sampler

K

yes, that is true... the original loop has to be exact for the feature to work...

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)