aaa live Vox help needed!!!!!!! - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             27-May-00  @  12:40 AM   -   live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

damaged69

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i'd really like to get that distorted sound out of my vocals, both live and in my home. when i throw my voice through a pedal, I end up getting a lot of feedback.
is there some kind of special voice box available that would be able to help me??? To give you an example of the vox sounds i'm going for, try to imagine almost any industrial band, (nin, ministry, etc...), or if industrial is not your thing, in some P.J. Harvey song's, she also distorts her vocals. I need something inexpensive that will work, for both live and at home!

thankzzz

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             28-May-00  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

99devils

The short, quick answer is, no. At least not live. You can get that sound on record by simply distorting the recording. Some people have reported success with running distorted vox live through the mains, and clean through the monitors. I have not tried this yet. My best advice is to get a good noise gate if you want to mess with that :-)

FYI, vocoding with noise as the carrier produces a very similar effect. Since it doesn't rely on gain and distortion to achieve the sound, you should be OK with that live.

-Craig

Message 3/8             29-May-00  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

$3 solution

If you have a mackie mixer You can do it for about $3.I was in an industrial noise group and this works at home,studio,radio station and a small bar.
Step 1 go find a pa system like one at a quick 10 in the Atlanta area or a big flea market.You're looking for a Shure Microphone that is sort of olive drab colored and has a switch on the side like a trucker's cb radio w/ a real long cable.
Step 2 Pull out your Gerber Emergency Knife and slice that bad boy off and pocket it and the knife(don't try this w/ a slack knife the object is to be quick.you can't unplug it there is a lock to keep it from being stolen,works good too!!!)I procured 8 like this so it can be done.
Step 3 solder a xlr connect.
Step 4 Go buy a $3 patch cord(see I told you it would cost ya)
Step 5 plug it into ch.1 or any w/ insert and crank up the gain all the way(both knobs)
Step 6 connect the insert from that channel into another ch. on the board and pad the signal to unity gain (don't forget to push the button on the mic when you scream or whatever the hell your going to do)
There it is push the button when you use the mic and release it when not speeking and you can make KMFDM or MDFMK jealous of your sound.(plus everyone will ask you where you got that really swank mic.)This thing is alot more interesting to look at and you can put it out of your way and no feedback.No noise gate either.For extra stage foolery drill a hole into your controller keyboard(not the triton please)and install a i/o jack and plug your mic into the kybd and a cable from your controller to the mackie.Not only will you create the illusion of plugging the mic into the kybd you'll also look like MC900ft. Jesus in the I'm going straight to heaven video.

YOU CAN"T GET ANY MORE INDUSTRIAL THAN THAT.

Message 4/8             29-May-00  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

$3 solution

I also saw Foetus use a Boss SE50 and he was distorted as fuck.LIVE AND LOUD...
OR TRY A MEGAPHONE INTO A SM57

Whoever said it can't be done is trippin' out loud
"I'm sorry you can't do that it will hurt our ears and your soundman will hate you"

figgin hippies!!!!!!

Message 5/8             05-Jun-00  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

99devils

Heh... Anyway, the reson why that works is because there's a manual on/off switch on the mic. It can be done, of course, but not very reliably in the confines of your typical live gig without massive amounts of feedback:

1) You CANNOT monitor the distorted signal through the monitors without uncontrollable feedback

2) You CANNOT predict the effects of reflection in a room you've hardly evey been in before.

3) You CANNOT simply plug a mic into some magic box and be on with it...

-Craig

Message 6/8             05-Jun-00  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

damaged69

I'm guessing the boss se50 is a guitar peddle?
Is anyone here that is replying to me in a band currently that is pulling off the distorted vocal thing????
Craig, help me out man! Give me some good news. FIND THAT MAGIC BOX!!!!

-rob

Message 7/8             06-Jun-00  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

99devils

SE50 is a half-rack thing... It's all about physical transmission of sound, and the amplification that is applied to the sound to generate distortion. The only way to not get feedback is to physically not allow the distorted signal back into the microphone. It requires good control over your monitoring environment. Usually you simply cannot guarantee that in a club. Using in-ear monitors might help. Using seperate monitor mixes (which you should have if your sound man is any good) might help - ie feed undistorted signals through the monitors and distorted ones through the mains.

I don't have enough PA equipment to check on this, and I'm not going to just wing it during a gig. I'm sure it can be done, if you're properly observing the preceding factors (and maybe some I'm not aware of).

I never said it was impossible, just difficult. You also have to factor in the sound guy - is he going to know what to do if your lead vox start howling like a dog in heat? He won't have the control to shut off the distortion at the board, right? Unless you're mixing from stage, or bring your own rig, or whatever... There's too many factors for anyone to be able to say "just plug this mic into that box and you're all set!"

-Craig

-Craig

Message 8/8             07-Jun-00  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: live Vox help needed!!!!!!!

subtex

I use a digitech rp6 for vocal distortion and other voice effects and that has never had any feedback problems
live. they can be had fairly cheap now if you look around

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)