aaa Layering Snares for Trance Drums - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             09-Jun-00  @  09:49 AM   -   Layering Snares for Trance Drums

raver

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I hate to ask about this by calling them "trance drums" but I've heard this in a lot of trance/progressive house tracks. It's the snare drum. In a groove some how the snare sounds like it off from the 2 and 4 beat by a little and it makes the whole thing groove so well. I've tried bumping the snares off beat a little but when I do it, it just sounds like my seq. is pissed. Can anyone help. If you need an example just listen to a digweed or sasha comp. cd. Actually I think heaven scents drums are like this not sure. Any help would be great. Someone said I should layer snare drums. They posted it in drum grooves. Not sure how to go about doing this.

Steve

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             13-Jun-00  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

k

do you really mean the snare is actually off on the 2,4.. or that there is some other grace snare notes before or after the 2/4 beats?, they use lots of different beats, and there's sometimes rimshots and claps layered, with reverb fx on sometimes, delay feedback fx , layered beats like on 'Superstring' which has got like a layered samba-type pattern etc, there's delays at work sometimes subtley on kiks....

but if you mean the snares are just dropped on the 2 and 4 behind the beat, i cant hear that on any sasha/digweed comps ive heard it's smak on the beat to me...

Message 3/9             15-Jun-00  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

max coombe

try experimenting with different lengths of snare/clap sounds as that can alter the groove - as can the length of the reverb on the sample.

as for them not being exactly on the 2nd/4th beat - i have to agree with k. if there's any off-beat groove, it tends not to be on these notes... for example, the groove quantizes on cubase/logic do not affect these notes...

Message 4/9             15-Jun-00  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

max coombe

btw, layering your snare sounds will affect the sound of the snare, but won't directly affect the timing of the groove unless the length of the sound changes as i mentioned above... but this is by default rather than an intrinsic result of layering...

Message 5/9             15-Jun-00  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

raver

I think both of you are right, I just need to fiddle with the fx on the snare and the actual sound of it. Thanks for the help!

Message 6/9             16-Jun-00  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

Andreas Chatzakis

Have you tried using shuffle quantising on your sequencer?
It makes everything so funky!

Message 7/9             19-Jun-00  @  08:32 AM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

raver

Does Cubase have a shuffle? What I've been doing is programming drums in Fruityloops, and then export the midi file out to cubase. For some reason I don't think the shuffle works when I use just midi in Fruityloops. I'm using Fruityloops/Cubase to control my Drumstation.

Message 8/9             19-Jun-00  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

max coombe

cubase definitely has a shuffle - check out the groove quantizes.

other thing you can try is quantizing your hats/snares to 8t or 16t. (triplets)instead of straight quantizes.

happy funkin'...

Message 9/9             23-Jun-00  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Layering Snares for Trance Drums

99devils

In addition to layering different sounds, don't forget to try different velocity values too... This can spice up an otherwise mechanical groove. Like making grace notes or off beats a lower velocity than the 2-4 snare...

Good luck!

-Craig

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)