aaa thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             02-Dec-97  @  06:46 PM   -   thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

bizarreboy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been seriously considering getting a vocoder for sometime.I've played with the roland-can't think the name and it was like a dream.I've also heard that the moog was good too,but expensive and hard to find.Any help would
be appreciated.
Bizarreboy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             04-Dec-97  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Altavistas tip of the day: Build one!

Click here

Message 3/28             05-Dec-97  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Bizarreboy

Thanks!can't wait to get started and the price-WoW!!!
Thanks again.

Message 4/28             07-Dec-97  @  02:34 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Avene

Link?:  Link

Bizzareboy, I use an Ensoniq DP/2 for vodcoding. It has a really nice sound, much better than a Boss SE50. Picking up something old like a Roland may be difficult. There's a new Zoom Fx unit which is really cheap, less than $200 and has a vocoder..you could check that also.

Message 5/28             09-Dec-97  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Brenballs

This build your own one thing....I was looking at the add.....I assume you get a fully designed and build circuit board and you just have to follow the schematic and solder all the components?? Where can you get one of these?????

Message 6/28             09-Dec-97  @  02:58 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Brenballs

Also......with this home-made one, will you be able to do things like Daft punk and California??
in other words...is the input speach pitch controllable via a keyboard??

Message 7/28             10-Dec-97  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Stefan.Kessler

Best Vocoder Solutions are the EMS 2000/3000 Models...
but quite expensive....original Kraftwerk...

the german company MAM got a incredible cheap and
extremely good sounding Vocoder called VF-11.
I remember that the name of the company and the Vocoder
is different in the U.K. Think is called PCP-330......
...Price: 280 P.

forget the SE-50/Ensoniq DP-2 shit......really poor...

Message 8/28             11-Dec-97  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

kilo

there's a s/w vocoder out there so I heard.... never got round to checking it out tho.......

Message 9/28             13-Dec-97  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Stefan.Kessler

The software vocoder is called fusion:VOCODE from the
company Opcode....
I used the programm as a plug-in with the Peak Editor
on a Mac computer and the whole thing sounds impressive.
It works also on a PC.
The only problem is that you have to run the Vocoder on
a very fast computer........

Message 10/28             13-Dec-97  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

just a correction on Stefan, PCP and V-11 are totally separate units.

http://www.music-and-more.com

the company that makes VF-11 cheap TB clones and other stuff.

Message 11/28             14-Dec-97  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Brenballs

How fast a PC are we talkin' for this Vocoder S/w.....
would a 200MMX do?

Message 12/28             15-Dec-97  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Stefan.Kessler

I think your PC will be fast enough....

Sorry, this is not true.
The MAM Vocoder VF-11 and the Procoder PCP-330 are
exactly the same machines, only the design is slightly
different...look at the backside of the Procoder......
MANUFACTURED BY MAM......

Message 13/28             24-Dec-97  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

micro

There's also the single rack space vocoder by F.A.T. which may be the same as the German one, but a different company name. They're also available in the U.S. There's been a notice in the back of Keyboard magazine.

Message 14/28             24-Dec-97  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

micro

There's also the single rack space vocoder by F.A.T. which may be the same as the German one, but a different company name. They're also available in the U.S. There's been a notice in the back of Keyboard magazine.

Message 15/28             15-Jan-98  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Jock

I have a ROLAND VP330 Plus Vocoder. Its up for sale if anyone is interested. If so e-mail....

james_munro@tolley.co.uk

I am sure we can come to some agreement !

Message 16/28             22-Jan-98  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

stevenflip

How about..you get a plastic tube and attach one end to a horn speaker driver (that you're playing your keyboard through) and stick the other end in your mouth. Then, you can transform the sounds by using the complex acoustic properties of your own mouth. Honestly. Do this near a microphone and your uncle's Robert. This was available years ago as a guitar FX from Electo-Harmonix.

Message 17/28             27-Jan-98  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

kilo

how about.....the F.A.T PCP330 (Freeform Analog Technologies) Vocoder.....they made the Freebass...... the Vocoder is only £ 299 from Turnkey in London (they do worldwide mail order tax free export (www.turnkey.uk.com)

They also do something called the 'Resinator' (THC-00)...... 3 bandpass filters with res' in a 1U rack for only 𧵿.....looks pretty good.......

Message 18/28             27-Jan-98  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

if you go to the turnkey site, there's some demo .WAV files of it playing a vocal, a drum-loop, and a bass (i think)

Message 19/28             06-Feb-98  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

iskross

If you've got money, go for something old.

By the way, the Daft Punk sound was made with a regular vocoder and a resonant-filter. So any vocoder should be able to perform that if used with a filter.

-marcus

Message 20/28             12-Feb-98  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

DDJ/Freon loving

Ok boys, here is a list of commercially available Vocoders...

EMS 5000:
Analog
Price: around 6500 UK pounds
Number of Channels: 22
Filter Order: 8th order
Channel levels can be adjusted with external Control Voltage (CV) inputs
Pitch extractor
2 built in oscillators (VCOs) with square wave and ramp outputs
One noise source
Voiced/unvoiced detector
Slew/Freeze control can be manually operated with a variable control or
freeze switch.
Frequency shifter stage with a range of .05Hz to 1 kHz
Patching of analyzer and synthesizer channels with a matrix of 22 x 22 patchpoints.

EMS-2000
Analog
Price: 1000 UK pounds
Number of channels: 16
Filter Order: 6th order
Internal pulse oscillator and white noise source
Voiced/Unvoiced detector
Spectrum Slew/Freeze (Hold)

SYNTON 221
Analog
Price: around $7500 US
Number of channels: 20
Filter cutoff: 54 db/octave
Channel patching Matrix-panel
Internal VCO
noise generator
Voiced/Unvoiced detection
LEDs for spectrum monitoring
External control inputs/outputs for each channel

SYNTON 222
Analog
Price: $625 US
Number of channels: 12.

SYNTON 202
Analog
Price: $500 US
Number of channels: 10
No noise generator.

SYNTON SPX-216
Analog
Price: $1000 US
Number of channels: 14
VCO and noise generator
Carrier compression & distortion
Rear-connector for CV in/out.

ELECTRO-HARMONIX VOCODER
Analog
Price 400 UK pounds
14 channels

ROLAND SE70
10 and 21channels in the same unit
Digital Effects box

ROLAND SVC-350
Analog
11 channels
Compressor on Mic input
Spectrum Hold
24db/octave filter cutoff

KORG VC-10
Analog
comes with keyboard
Compressor on mic input
1 master oscillator and 1 oscillator per key
3 low frequency oscillators (LFO's) for vibrato
20 channels
24 dB/octave filter cutoff

BODE 7702
Analog
16 channels
Analyzer-Synthesize channel patching
Pulse (buzz) and Noise (hiss) generators
Spectrum Sample and Hold

SENNHEISER VSM201
Analog
Price: 10,000 UK pounds
20 channels
36 dB/octave filter cutoff
Fixed 150Hz pulse generator
Noise source
Voiced/Unvoiced detector with filter

Döpfer A-129
Analog
Price: about $400 US for basic module
Made in conjunction with Kraftwerk.
15 channels
24 dB/decade filter cutoff
Modular, allowing complex processing by adding other Döpfer mdoules

ELECTOR
Analog kit
10 channels
24 db/decade filter cutof
Noise generatorf

Voiced/Unvoiced detector
Sibilance
Engineered in conjunction with Synton.

PAIA
Analog kit
Price: $100 US
8 channels
12 dB/decade filter cutoff
Sibilance
Carrier distortion

Thanks DDJ/Freon

Message 21/28             12-Feb-98  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Hey, I've got an audio in on an old Roland, and I was wondering how vocals would sound thru it as opposed to a vocoder... I don't have a mic, see...

Message 22/28             17-Feb-98  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

hilliard

As far as the audio in, you don't get the "mesh" of synth and voice, as you do in a real vocoder. It does however produce some nice effects, with voice, drum loops, or whatever, since you are basically processing the input thru the filter on the keyboard.....try it, but it's no vocoder.

I currently use the SE-70 with a Juno-106 as the synth input....works pretty good. I had used an SH-101 as the synth before, but the 106 gives poly, and the HPF on the 106 helps for more "recognizable" vocals. I just did a gig with a guy who was using the SVC-350 (Roland)....and now I know how much the SE-70 is *not* a vocoder. The Se-70 is pretty decent (plus you get all the great fx from it for TB-303 overdrive etc), however, I *must* get the SVC-350......that's the shit!

One quickie here: What is everyone else using for the synth input for their vocoders and stuff? As I said, I use the 106, but the guy who had the SVC-350 on my gig was just using a sine wave from a JV-880 (or so he said).....anyone?

Message 23/28             13-Mar-98  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

hilliard

Well, it's almost been a month, now......anyone?

Message 24/28             13-Mar-98  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Johnny

I use SAW CHORDS most of the time, some times I even use drumloops.

Why? You wanna sound like a Sylon?

Message 25/28             27-Mar-98  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

self_osc

You CAN´T use a sine wave as a carrier signal, because the sine have no harmonics over the fundamental, and the vocoder needs that as the basic sonic material for band-filtering and dynamic amplitude modulation of the band "slices" by the amplitude of the correlated bands of the modulation signal (i.e.:your voice)

Message 26/28             27-Mar-98  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

self_osc

The new Zoom FX processors (model 1201 and another that I can´t remember now, really low prices) can hold the basic vocoder tasks with very good quality.
Also they have a bunch of cool, non-standard FX like ring-modulation, low-fi algorythms, etc.

Dan

Message 27/28             27-Mar-98  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

hilliard

Yeah....as I said, the guy who had the SVC-350 "told" me he was sending it just a sine wave from the JV.....so he could be full of it...dunno. I get my best results with a pulse from my Juno-106, using the HPF on a pretty high setting (ie less lows). The "saw" actually sounds fuller, but the pulse seems to give more "intelligent" speech....more recognizable......not actually smarter....hehehehh.....also a little bit of "noise" helps the "SSSS" sounds, too....ya just gotta watch the full chords with that one...it can get a little too "noisy".

The VF-11 from MAM supposedly has it's own osc on board....wonder how good it is. I want to try this vocoder, but no stores near me carry it...I'll have to mail order it and hope it's ccol.....anyone tried it?

Message 28/28             25-Apr-98  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

mentalu

the mam vf-11 kicks some serious a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not too much $ but not cheap well worth the money
11 filters
built in tuneable osc
mix of original, effected, and osc sources
too phat for words

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)