aaa cheap midi/cv - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: cheap midi/cv

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             15-Apr-98  @  12:33 AM   -   cheap midi/cv

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

anyone have any idea who might make a cheap midi->cv converter that could drive 1-2 cv synths? thanx...

also what is the difference b/w cv and gate?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             15-Apr-98  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

hilliard

Philip Reese makes one called the Little-CV or something like that. But, I don't think it'll do multiple synths at once. Paia supposedly has a cheap kit too. But, Kenton has probably the most popular line. They include PRO-SOLO, PRO-2 (discontinued), PRO-2000, PRO-4 (PRO-KADI and PRO-DCB too). The more expensive ones will control multiple synths at once, as well as controlling filters and other stuff, if the synth has the correct inputs.

As far as I understand it, CV (control voltage) is the voltage that determines what note (pitch) to be played, and the GATE is the note on/off value (sound, no sound).

I'm no expert (in fact a beginner with the CV/Gate stuff) but I'm pretty sure this is correct info......anyone?

One more thing: sometimes with these units, it depends on what synth "manufacturer" you are trying to control. They had verious, different methods, between Korg, Moog, ARP, Roland, Oberheim, etc. I really have only had "complete" success with Roland's method. My Moogs (Source and Micromoog) have been quite a headache for me to control.......so much that I've decided to only play them "live"........hhhhmmmmppphhhh.

BTW, some newer synths (rackmount, usually) have added a CV/gate interface as well as the standard MIDI conections. For instance, I use my Novation BassStation Rack's interface for contolling my SH-101 from an XP-50 sequencer.......works great, but you only have control of the notes, not the filter......you'd need a better, dedicated unit like the Kenton boxes for that (I think).

Message 3/10             18-Apr-98  @  01:13 AM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Hey buggo, I got my head outta my ass...http://www.tiac.net/users/jkjelec/ Check out that link... Pretty good prices on CV/Midi convertors...

Message 4/10             18-Apr-98  @  07:34 AM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

self_osc

If your synth dosn't have any control input jack (for cutoff and the like) you CAN'T control those parameter from the CV control outputs of a MIDI/CV box (i.e SH101, MC202, YAMAHA CS20, etc)

Dan

Message 5/10             18-Apr-98  @  07:34 AM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

self_osc

If your synth dosn't have any control input jack (for cutoff and the like) you CAN'T control those parameter from the CV control outputs of a MIDI/CV box (i.e SH101, MC202, YAMAHA CS20, etc)

Dan

Message 6/10             19-Apr-98  @  04:17 AM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

Sedusa

Nope, the SH 2 has just got CV and Gate..... But.... See, I think if the whole rest of your setup is MIDI'd , than it'd be great to just let everything do it's thang and twiddle the knobs on the SH 2.... I wish when I was playing I had both hands free so that I could twiddle tha sliders.... I love my SH 2... I hope you buy the SH 2  

Message 7/10             20-Apr-98  @  01:05 PM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

Sedusa

I've been hearing that the CV on the bassstation was pretty unreliable... And that was the reason they pulled it outta the Super Bassstation.... I don't know, tho.. This is just hearsay... I was considering for awhile picking up a used bassstation instead of a MIDI CV convertor and getting an extra sound source as a bonus.... But if it's not reliable, it ain't the way to go... How well does the MIDI - CV work on your BS, Hilard? Any noticeable fuckups? And are you in the UK? I also heard that the US models have even less luck than the UK ones... (110 vs 220??) But all this is just hearsay, as I said... Tell me about it, Hillard!

Message 8/10             21-Apr-98  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

hilliard

Well, my BassStation Rack's CV/gate interface works good with the SH-101. Like I said, though, the Moogs have given me some trouble. The BSR has a switchable setting for which manufacturer you're controlling. I switched to the "Moog" setting but still had some problems (Moog-end, though, I think).

I must admit, though, that I haven't used the SH-101 in this setup very much. What I mean, is that there may be some "bugs" with the Novation interface that I just have yet to discover......but so far so good (SH-101, that is).

The best thing about the Novation setup is that you can specify a different MIDI channel for your CV/Gate data vs the MIDI channel specified for your BassStation (sound source) data. Some of the other units (like the Doepfer MS-404) don't have this "different-channel" feature (I think). Also, I don't think the TeeBee (which has a bunch of CV/Gate jacks) has it either......dunno for sure.

I would like to get one of the Kenton boxes (probably the PRO-2000 or a used PRO-2) for future use. Having the extra CV outs for controling the filter would be nice on my Micromoog (nothing else, I currently have, has any CV inputs for the filter). I have a PRO-KADI (using it for DIN SYNC and ARP CLK for my TB-303, TR-606, and SH-101) and it has been a very reliable unit. Since it has the KADI interface on it already, I would like to do the KADI retrofit on my 606. I have the kit, but I have yet to get out the drill and solder iron....... :^]

Message 9/10             21-Apr-98  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

hilliard

BTW, Sedusa, I live in the US, and I purchased the BassStation her in the states.

I also have never gotten the CV/Gate "inputs" on the BassStation Rack to work. I have no desire to control it from an old analog keyboard, but ya'never know.....maybe someday I'll be using an old ARP sequencer or something, eh?

My BSR was a floor model, so maybe it is just screwed up on that end......maybe this is the "bug" you were referring to......or maybe I just didn't know what the hell I was trying to do. Hey, I only paid $300 US for it....so I'm not complaining.

Message 10/10             07-May-98  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: cheap midi/cv

Steveo

I use 3 x Philip Rees Little MCV's and they are great...I've used them for MS20 , SH101 , CS30L and ARP Oddy - they work fine and are dead simple to use....if you wanna get clever then the Kenton 2000 is the way to go...

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)