aaa Fostex-16 track (d-16) - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Fostex-16 track (d-16)

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             28-May-99  @  01:54 PM   -   Fostex-16 track (d-16)

George

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I think this is a great machine-in the sense of analogue machines-I use this with an Alesis Studio 32 mixer. The board is a 4 bus. The affordability of this set up is nice too. The board cost me 850.00 new and the machine was 1,800.00 used so for 2,650.00 plus cable i'm using a full 16 tracks analogue-cables about 200.00. Right now my logic is channels 3-8 are used for a roland 6 output synth module (u220). The board is like using a 32 channel board though because you can monitor tape or input lines. Does it matter where I locate my synth module in the tracking order. should I use the first 6 tracks or the last 6 tracks. does it matter if drums are on the center of the tape or should I put the bass on a specific track for better lows-how about vocals? If you have some working knowledge of this typical analgue set up please respond.

Thanks George

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             30-May-99  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: Fostex-16 track (d-16)

k

nope perhaps keep non critical stuff to the outer tracks (1 & 16) - but drive the inputs well - fostex machines like that - ignore the meters and monitor off-tape - great units - and a great setup for working - you get real monitoring off tape/fx with no delay like is impossible with most computer setups ....

Message 3/4             08-Jun-99  @  01:59 AM   -   RE: Fostex-16 track (d-16)

O.K.

I was noticing the meters were invalid the other day that is a great tip, Thanks-I figured I was onto something because its alot like all the machinery that produces the music that I enevitably end up liking-kind of a mini studio-but analogue-thanks again K.

Message 4/4             09-Jun-99  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: Fostex-16 track (d-16)

k

as for vocals, i saw an ABBA docu, where they were talking about their techniques... one thing they did to get the ABBA backing-vocal sound was this:

record the primary BV... then layer it... BUT.... slow down the machine and sing along at the lower opitch... then playback at normal speed... this apparently add's to that glassy ABBA big BV sound cos the played-back BV;s tracked at lower speed (or higher then played back normal) introduces artefacts to get that super cutting fine sound... interesting... cant be done with digital...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)