aaa Modular Theory - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Modular Theory

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             21-Mar-00  @  12:24 PM   -   Modular Theory

Rob (rak3889

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Okay,
Now I'm sure people have asked this before, but I'm gonna take a try at it.
I'm an electrical engineering student in ROchester, NY and I'm thinking of making synths for a living. Well, I figured I should get some practice under my belt before I gradute so I'm thinking of starting a modular. Now I know it won't be easy, or quick, but i get to understand some things at a certain level. What I wanted to know is, is there any good books on sythesizer theory? I'm not looking for schematics of Junos,or TeeBees, or anything like that. I want to design most of it. So thats why I want some theory books. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Rob

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             21-Mar-00  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Modular Theory

99devils

Not a clue, but if you want some creative input, give me a shout!

-Craig

Message 3/6             21-Mar-00  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Modular Theory

idiolect

try 'Sound Synthesis and Sampling' by Martin Russ, ISBN #0 240 51429 7. I've been using for the past two semesters in the sound synth courses at my university, and it provides a fairly detailed overview of all the synthesis types I can think of. It progresses from simple analog subtractive synths and moves on through FM, wavetable, all sorts. It might be useful to you, as each section goes into a fair bit of depth as to the different methods of implementing each type. It's moderately technical in parts, but if you're an EE major it should be no problem.
in any case, good luck... modulars are awesome. first analog synth i ever played was a moog modular 55  

-justin

Message 4/6             22-Mar-00  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: Modular Theory

k

that is a fucking great idea - check out the old REBIS racks - 19" rack about 4U hight - each rack could accomadate several FX units - each one was a plug-in card with a front panel (vertical) that attached top and botton to the rack cage with two screws.... this was a great system... each FX module (gates, compsetc needed NO box, NO power supply, just a plugin card like a pci or isa card in a pc... so how about a modular synth where these cards are each a different synth modular part... running on a common bus inc' power delivery... that'd be awesome, and very cheap to produce (although a synth designer freind of mine says getting well made custom PCB's made is a nightmare in the UK at least) - you could offer different osc' type modules filters, etc etc... Interestingly, KENTON the UK analog company are bringing out a rack that takes the yamaha AN1X pc cards to make a multi-timbrel an1x rack... excellent idea

Message 5/6             23-Mar-00  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Modular Theory

idiolect

yah, so k, when does this kenton box come out? I've got an AN1x and love it to death, but this semi-bitimbrality is killing me. And does this plugin rack need something like the sw1000xg card to support it or will it be standalone?

-justin

Message 6/6             09-Apr-00  @  01:32 AM   -   RE: Modular Theory

:||CHAMBER||:

Rob, a basic suggestion for you to possibly consider. Maybe try and contact some of the people building modulars currectly. One that comes to mind would be the creator of the Wiard modular, check it out at www.wiard.com. Really cool system and it is a small company so he might be a bit easier to talk with than say a larger group like Doepfer. Something to look into.

But like one of the comments above, I would love to have the option of going on and on about modules I would like to see made. Although I suspect that Doepfer will eventually make basically everything... they've already created most of what I was wanting to see, but there is always room for more. Good luck though.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)