aaa TB Pinnacle - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: TB Pinnacle

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/1             11-Apr-98  @  01:11 AM   -   TB Pinnacle

ZIGGI

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi !

TB/V Pinnacle is a fina soundcard performing excellent audio quality (full duplex) and Kurzweil MA-1 sampling synth on board. Extended as 'Pinnacle Project Studio" comes with additional Homac GM synth attached as a doughterboard. I used to work with this stuff for 9 months and I would say... very good but unfortunately not yet finished. A lot of problems with the Kurzweil synth (sampler patch programming limited to 12 KB what normally allows you to create some 10 - 12 customized instruments despite it optional 48 MB sample memory, problem with Kurzweil EPROM creates difficulty with root-key conservation when the sample is tuned into higher than its root-key frequency). TB/V is promising an upgrade for the Pinnacle users but this would require sending the card back to USA (their distributors will not be approved for upgrading). Fortunately, the brand new third party patch editor has been recently released by the third-party MTL Software company for the Pinnacle. This one called 'Everest' knocks down the original Voyetra's patch editor to the ground. The card works well with Voyetra's proprietary 'Digital Orchestrator' MIDI sequencer but with Cubase VST has annoying latency due to missing dedicated ASIO drivers. Poor performance with Windows NT and does not support Macintosh. Problems with doughterboards (even with supported Homac) as power supply lines to the doughterboard transmit terrible noice. I was forced to forget my DB50XG :-(
As a conclusion I would say: if anybody is thinking about it - let him rather wait for the upgrade (revision 'G' ?) as the current revision 'F' is not really worth of its $ 500. The audio is perfect (multitracking, S/N ratio etc.) but the sampler is frustrating now and cannot compete K-2000. Keep looking the developement on the Voyetra's mailing list as their advertisments are rather misleading (do not believe them !).
The Pinnacle is potentially the BEST card available on the market for audio/sampling/synthesis purpose but current EPROM/Memory management failures undermine its quality so far that it is more a toy than a professional tool.

Sincerely,
Zbyszek (ZIGGI) Szczesny
Warsaw, Poland

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 1 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)