aaa Soundblaster Programming - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Soundblaster Programming

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             12-Apr-98  @  07:02 PM   -   Soundblaster Programming-Device in use

dbober

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi- I'm programming in Qbasic 4.5 and my program plays a sound (currently in direct DAC) after resetting the blaster. If I run it in the dos prompt of windows from the qbasic environment and leave quickbasic on press alt taband try to run another sound program, it says Device in Use. I can't even run a second instance of my program. The program has stopped running, though and I'm in the editing screen. No sound is being outputted. I've tried turning of the disabling the speaker and many other things. Why won't the soundblaster reset from any other programs? Is there some command to DESET the card? Why can't I play sounds from other programs while my program is running but not emitting any sound or writing to the blaster? it doesn't happen when I run two instances of other programs at the same time.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             12-Apr-98  @  07:14 PM   -   Oh yeah, also read this(same person)

dbober

By the way-Even if I just reset the card, the same thing happens. How do I end a soundblaster session?

Message 3/3             15-Apr-98  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: Soundblaster Programming

Chris

Hmmm !
This answer is a bit of an educated guess
Cos your Qbasic prog is running in dos (?), windows gives all the driver resources for the sound card to the dos window and won't release them till you close the dos window.
Your windows progs however get to talk directly to the sound driver which will apparently accept more than one input (unless one of the inputs is from dos). I'm quite surprised by that in itself, respect to creative labs (for once).

To cut a long story short ish, there's no way around it other than getting a second card (config nightmare) or one of these new fancy cards that have like 8 wav devices on one card (programming nightmare).

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)