aaa HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             03-Nov-98  @  08:13 AM   -   HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can someone please help me buy a soundcard. I'm new to this,I want a soundcard that will allow me to mix, record,sample & some synth sounds.If you have a card that can do all this please reply.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             05-Nov-98  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

omaltha

Wait for the Pulsar from Creamware!!
look at creamware.com.

Message 3/10             05-Nov-98  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

p_poep

ok, I have the same problem.
All I see people talking about here are these very professional (and rediculously expensive) soundcards like the creamware pulsar, yamaha sw1000xg and so on with 20 i/o and what not.

What I want to try to do is to do all my music stuff on one big system like a pII 450 with 128Mb (I'm going to expand to that soon). So I only need 2 outs. That's all. The most important thing however is that the card (and the comp of course) must be able to run multiple audioapps (sequencer, softsynths, virtual mixer, fx) at the same time. The funny thing is, that after some research I found out that with a very simple pci soundcard I can already do what I want. The Diamond Sonic Impact S90 for instance seems to be able to handle multiple audiostreams and has a high soundquality (>90db sig/noise ratio) and costs about $45.

What I want to know now, is which pci audiocard between $40 and $200 is the best and has anybody (like a magazine or something) done a comparative test.

And what about usb cards, anybody knows anything about this?

Message 4/10             05-Nov-98  @  07:43 PM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

EveningFalls

I Just got my PC and I also would like to get my soundcard..I've been reading in the Magazines that the EMU audio production card is the best...its a sample/synth....It's $500.00. I hope that I can get something else with the same capability and for a lower price...but if price is the answer for better quality then so be it....

There's also this new Yamaha soundcard, can't remember the model name but I read that it has a hardisk recorder built in.. I'm going to be skeptical about Yamaha products though... Not sure about this..

Message 5/10             17-Nov-98  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

Yeah the APS looks pretty good

Message 6/10             19-Nov-98  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

mattlupton

Buyers beware ! The Yamaha products on the market these days are very suprememto almost any other products out there...for the money. You can literally spend as much money on pro gear that you wish. The question at hand is "how can I maximize the efficiency of the mighty doller?"
Put it into the yamaha; it will definitely pay off in the long run.
Yamaha offers two products these days that are superior soundcards: 1) DSP 2416 - a harddisk mixing/recording card @ $700. 2) XW1000xg - an XG synth card built to be directly compatible with the DSP. The DSP and the XW have their own processors onboard, freeing up your CPU processor do work on other things - this is why they cost so damn much. If you want HD recording, go with the DSP. If you want More of a synth go with the XW. The research is the fun part. Cruise around this site and you can basically get all the information you are looking for. That' what I did.

have fun dude !

Message 7/10             19-Nov-98  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

mattlupton

p_poep

Get a "Creative Lab's" Sound Blaster AWE-Live. If you are looking for a good, low-priced synth card, it will definitely do te trick. When I got started with all this stuff a year ago, I bought the AWE gold. It was/is a pretty cool loittle device and is plug-and-play - very simple to install. I don't use it anymore, because I need something more professional than that. But it is definitely the best way to go for under $200. If you want, mail me back and I will let go of my AWE gold for $80. They are going for $150 new these days. If not interested, then good luck to you.

Thanks dude !

Message 8/10             19-Nov-98  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

gedas.v

I just can't decide between the two cards within the same price range: APS and SW1000XG. I guess Yammy is more professional, but it hasn't got a sampler board (yet?). Any news with it? Rumours go on, but nothing more. With a perspective of adding sampling capabilities SW1000XG would be my choice, otherwise...
If the price wasn't the case I'd go for the Pulsar, just check out its specs!

Gedas

Message 9/10             08-Dec-98  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

music1

I just bought a new 333 Nextrend computer with an ESS1869
soundcard. When inputing note data from a MIDI controller
keyboard to Cakewalk notation programs, I get a delay which won't do. Cakewalk says to download the latest drivers from ESS but I can't find any. For my arranging I need a good acoustic bass and about 10 or 12 good sounds for a jazz band and school concert band. If I get a new sound card, hopefully not too expensive, which one is a good one. I have used Roland D110 sound module for years but want the new General Midi sounds. I had an extra MPU401 interface and installed that but it wouldn't work at all and killed the existing ESS sound card. My old 486 with MPU401 hooked up to the D110 works fine but have to use the new 333 with Overture2 for my arranging.

Message 10/10             10-Dec-98  @  01:47 AM   -   RE: HELP! HELP! HELP! TO BUY A SOUNCARD.

shado

Link?:  Link

Hi there,
You do tend to get what you pay for. The only soundcards within a budget that i think may help that sound ok for gs that use wavetable are the dream based cards ie the maxi home studio and the cheaper terratec ews64s version. The turtle beach cards apparantly sound good but alot of ppl have trouble with the drivers. If you don't want sampling however the yamaha sw60xg has built in gs and xg format sounds and apparantly sounds the best of all. Even though the d110 is very old, it still has a better dynamic range than a normal soundcanvas. The sc88 would do you perfectly but is probably outa budget. There is also a program out there that can turn your d110 into gs via sysex. That may suit you best although of coarse it will only be 8 part multi tymbral. Dale

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)