aaa Software vs. Hardware Synths - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Software vs. Hardware Synths

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             10-Nov-98  @  10:07 AM   -   Software vs. Hardware Synths

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Overall I think I like hardware synths better.
Note: I own Reality, Rebirth, Audiosim and a few others. Softsynths pros: Versatile, easy to upgrade, can implement new synths technology fairly easy. Cons: require IMMENSE CPU Power. I have a PII 300 and it only averages about 35-40 note polyphony. I have yet to hear a softsynth that sounds as warm or as full as a K2000, a JV1080 or a AN1x. I have owned all these synths and they sounded better than Reality to me. Reality can sound good with really good samples, but alot of the presets have that bland gm type sound. The effects are mediocre. Reality 1.5 has 128 note polyphony but I don't think you could get that with any thing less than a PII 500mhz. Reality makes a good sampler and this in my opinion is its greatest attribute. However, I don't see any sound banks with the quality of samples available for the Kurzweil or Akai samplers. These instruments have 16 meg piano samples, ect. I think the D/A converters in harware synths sound better. Reality is great for experimental stuff and sound effects but in my opinion it still needs a lot of developement before I would throw away any of my hardware. I just don't have two years to wait. I want to make music now. This is just my opinion, you can judge for yourself.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             10-Nov-98  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: Software vs. Hardware Synths

Boris

I think you're right...

Message 3/5             11-Nov-98  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: Software vs. Hardware Synths

kilo

me too :-)

Message 4/5             11-Nov-98  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Software vs. Hardware Synths

Boris

Wow... the world would be a lot more peacefull if all people agreed like us :-)

Message 5/5             11-Nov-98  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: Software vs. Hardware Synths

troels

'kay, i'll disagree then ...

welp, obviously hardware-synths are preferable, but the price of a softsynth is pretty much competitive with that of a hardware kind. My favourite of the kind AXS2.02 actually does (technically) a better job than my An1x. This doesn't cause me to throw out my An1x, but it IS a funny thought that i could just by a computer+a soundcard, install the AXS2.02, stuff it in a box, and pretend that it was a sound module ... see ???

/troels

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)