aaa Best card for classical music ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Best card for classical music ?

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             18-Nov-98  @  07:56 AM   -   Best card for classical midi music ?

dominique.pittet

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello,

My wife is singing as a solist with Classical Orchestra (Bach, Mozart...). So, she is working a lot using Classical Midi files we mainly download from the WEB (or sometimes write ourselves).
At the moment we have an old SoundBlaster 16 with a Korg Wave upgrade, and would like to replace them by a solution offering better sounds.
So, what are the best choices for a Souncard if we want:
1) Very realistic Classical Instruments (we don't mind about electric instruments)
2) Decent choirs (if it happens to exist)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Dominique

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             15-Dec-98  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: Best card for classical music ?

bparvin

I have comissary for you on this problem!!!

I write for orchestral instruments, and have searched for quite some time. The lagest problem in synthesis always appears to be with higher pitched (most instruments in their higher registers) instruments and primarily strings.

This Problem exists because the instrument synthesis modules that are used in computers and keyboards (korgs, roland, kurzweil, and the other top keyboards) are based upon the matching of one note within the range of the instument, and then halfhazardly apply a bending of that one note, which ends up lacking the harmonic overtones of the desired note (it is artificial!!!!!!)

Depending on how much money you have, you can either purchase another instrument synthesis module ($200-$2000), or try a sampler ($1000- ? ). Once you own a sampler, you can just purchase a classical instrumant sample CD ($200 - ? ), which has samples of every note from the instrument, as well as additional notes with different dynamic timbres (ie. strings have a more sharp attack at higher velocities, softer at lower velocities, etc..)

CHEAP & GOOD SYNTHESIS MODULES: Ensoniq (?) Do not know the model number, but ensoniq is a good company to seek in refuge from those silly circus-like modules.

[Even the more expensive Korg, Roland, and Kurzweil orchestral sounds are not good when heard in a small chamber ensemble instrumentation.]

SAMPLERS: I do not know, but it depends on the polyphony demanded by the midi files (how many instrument?).

You are best off keeping your sound card and connecting one of these modules via midi. You might want to go to a music store with a keyboard department and trying the ensoniq I suggested and comparing the sounds which areinportant to you with those of the other modules.

GOOD LUCK

Message 3/4             16-Dec-98  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: Best card for classical music ?

kilo

100% cheap..... the old Proeus modules were great... but er... shit they are not GM... oh well..... dx50xg daughterboard is best cheapest or the stand alone card version the sw60 version ... there are a few GM compatible modules out ther like the MU etc... or the new sw1000xg... which is a bigger version of the db50.... aprt from those, i'm sure there are other more expensive synths that will go to GM protocol if they are asked to... but i wouldnt know which...

Message 4/4             16-Dec-98  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: Best card for classical music ?

Rafael

Come on Kilo...

Rafael

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)