aaa Emergency purchase situation - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Emergency purchase situation

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             08-Dec-98  @  02:01 PM   -   Emergency purchase situation

alex

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

People!
I need to finalise the soundcard specs for a purchase in the next few DAYS
I have the mother of machines in the makes and the soundcard has not been decided.
What will I do with it?
Mainly multitrack editing using cd input and recorded input from MD (SPDIF) and then out to CDRW
I need as clean a sound as possible without breaking the bank.
I know Yanaha 2416/Event stuff is good but I think this will do my budget in.

Whaddayasay

cheers
L&P
Alex

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             08-Dec-98  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

troels

>Mainly multitrack editing using cd input and recorded >input from MD (SPDIF) and then out to CDRW I need as >clean a sound as possible without breaking the bank. I >know Yanaha 2416/Event stuff is good but I think this >will do my budget in.

okay, you write "mainly" ... if this was limited a little bit more to "only", the answer would be easy ... get any soundcard that has a digital in ... the cheapest i could think of would be an AWE64 gold ... this card may have an awfull s/n ratio when dealing with analog inputs but as digital in's don't apply noise it will work ... probably even easier to use than more "pro" cards, as the awe64 is quite well-supported. Same story about the CD ... the sound is allready in a digital format, so you could rip it with a cd-ripper (software) and get a completely clean signal ... actually you don't even need a soundcard to do this.

Message 3/9             09-Dec-98  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

kilo

forget the awe..... get a dman, dal, or zefiro... a proper s/pdif card... yup.... if it is ONLY from s/pdif input then why not... it's cheaper for better quality.... you could do this:

to record analog... put the MD into record/pause... and it should output the input as a mirror at the s/pdif output... if it does, get your analog input like that....

Message 4/9             09-Dec-98  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

Charlie

AWE 64 - are you nuts ? - Please do not buy this card for anything but maybe, maybe soundfonts, which you
probally won't use. Sorry had to add my 2 cents.

Message 5/9             09-Dec-98  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

alex

OK
Nice one, and thasnks for the words but here is a suggestion to save me the money in buying this baby

I have a mate who travels to japan regular. He brought in the MD(at about 30-40% off what you could buy in the US for, if it is worth it (see questions) then I will try to 'explain' this to him for his next trip

The questions:
1. Do we know if there is a big differential in prices for soundcards (partic Yamaha 2416) there and...say the US?
(I know here (Hungary) they want $1200 +3 weeks patience).
The best I have tracked the Yamaha is 599 GBP from Yamaha UK, and someone mentioned $800 for 2416 + AXX44 combo.
2. Is there any spec differences between standard Jp and...say US/European models?
3. Any newer models only available in Jp, that have not been released here yet (V. common in consumer audio)
4. validity of warantees?
5. I am part of the MD list and there are vendors - serious companies and individuals who live in japan/Hong Kong and will take an order and ship it to you. Do we know of any comparissons for soundcard buying

"Think about it and understand it"

szia

dr cheddar

Message 6/9             09-Dec-98  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

Rafael

E - M U A P S

Rafael

Message 7/9             10-Dec-98  @  08:57 AM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

dr.cheddar

E - M U A P S

Rafael (?)

Message 8/9             10-Dec-98  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

Rafael

Never heard of E-mu APS??? In this case see others threads. It's a all in one card. Sampler, effect-proc, HD-recorder. Well... we've wasted enough space on this card already...

I've got this card and I'm satisfied with it.

Rafael

Message 9/9             11-Dec-98  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Emergency purchase situation

troels

i believe the man was asking for the cheapest solution, no ???
In that case i'll still claim that even an awe64 gold could do it, if only the digital ins are used

/troels

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)