aaa Once you buy it, your stuck..... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Once you buy it, your stuck.....

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             18-Dec-98  @  09:13 PM   -   Once you buy it, your stuck.....

Mr Realist

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ever notice how you never get a chance to listen to and compare different sound cards? There are so many out there now, how in the HELL do you know which one is the best? The stores don't set them up for you to do actual recording, because they know this:

Pro recordings require top notch equipment throughout the signal path. That means great mic, great mic pre, and great a/d conversion. If you just plug in to a sound card, you're not going to be very impressed, unless your new to recording and your ears are not trained to know what quality sound is. And a little inside information: A lot of the "demos" you hear from the sound cards are actually pro recordings done in studios and DIGITALLY transferred to the computer!! So the card's a/d conversion is bypassed, and you could be tricked!! So beware....

Is there really a noticeable difference between the gina card, tango, wave4, etc.? Maybe one jumps out, but I can't take them all home to find out!!

Stores and manufacturers bank on the fact that cool looking photos and savvy marketing brochures are the main reasons why people buy their products. Besides, you can't really know what a product if fully capable of until you spend some considerable time with it. Guitar Center will not let you return sound cards, at least where I'm at.

The retail stores would lose a lot of business if they had fully informed customers!!!

I'd love the chance to demo 20 or so cards side by side and choose the one that I like the best. But that's not practical. So I have become very cautious, as I recommend all of you to be as well.
I am a voice (with a 500ms delay) in the audio wilderness....

Mr. Realist

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             18-Dec-98  @  09:23 PM   -   Once you buy it, your stuck.....

Mr Realist

Ever notice how you never get a chance to listen to and compare different sound cards? There are so many out there now, how in the HELL do you know which one is the best? The stores don't set them up for you to do actual recording, because they know this:

Pro recordings require top notch equipment throughout the signal path. That means great mic, great mic pre, and great a/d conversion. If you just plug in to a sound card, you're not going to be very impressed, unless your new to recording and your ears are not trained to know what quality sound is. And a little inside information: A lot of the "demos" you hear from the sound cards are actually pro recordings done in studios and DIGITALLY transferred to the computer!! So the card's a/d conversion is bypassed, and you could be tricked!! So beware....

Is there really a noticeable difference between the gina card, tango, wave4, etc.? Maybe one jumps out, but I can't take them all home to find out!!

Stores and manufacturers bank on the fact that cool looking photos and savvy marketing brochures are the main reasons why people buy their products. Besides, you can't really know what a product if fully capable of until you spend some considerable time with it. Guitar Center will not let you return sound cards, at least where I'm at.

The retail stores would lose a lot of business if they had fully informed customers!!!

I'd love the chance to demo 20 or so cards side by side and choose the one that I like the best. But that's not practical. So I have become very cautious, as I recommend all of you to be as well.
I am a voice (with a 500ms delay) in the audio wilderness....

Mr. Realist

Message 3/4             19-Dec-98  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: Once you buy it, your stuck.....

shado

Link?:  Link

http://www.harmonycentral.com/Computer/#card

Here is a place you should check out. The technical benchmark site aint bad but no review of the APS. Boo Hoo. Dale

Message 4/4             19-Dec-98  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Once you buy it, your stuck.....

drcheddar

Then there is communal facilities

but much of the novelty comes from the architects, is there the same degree, potential of training in the 'ear', of space within the soundcard digital domain?

I know when I know but now I realise the effects of the room.

Maybe Wim Wenders is right

Still without a soundcard

Festives

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)