aaa DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             27-Dec-98  @  12:10 PM   -   DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             27-Dec-98  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

Haven't you been reading other threads? We've been discussing APS over and over. Even I who have APS and like it think that there's been said enough about APS.

Rafael

Message 3/22             28-Dec-98  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Message 4/22             28-Dec-98  @  07:30 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

I bought the Sw1000xg and am happy with it. I also bought Reality about a year ago. If you want to use your own samples you could buy Reality for $299.00. It has unlimited Ram storage (1 gigabyte) the APS has only 32mb. Of course you could just download the Crack. Alt.binaries.sound.utilities. The choice is yours. I would have bought the APS except in my opinion 32 megs is a little limited for todays samplers. If they could raise this number to say 128 megs then I would say go for it. I heard the APS only outputs at 48hz though.

Message 5/22             28-Dec-98  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

I don't understand why people see the 32MB limit in APS as a such a bad thing. Ok... It'd better with higher limit. Me however never have reached the limit yet. Rafael

Message 6/22             28-Dec-98  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafeal. Your right to some degree. 32mb is plenty good if you are using sound fonts or other professionally produced multi-samples. However, in my opinion, the whole point of sampling is being able to record your own samples or pick and choose from other people. If you buy audio cd,s with sounds THEY ARE NOT LOOPED! This is the the only bitch about sampling that gives me a headache. I suppose its the basis behind the gigasampler. I certainly don't need a 1 gigabyte piano. I am not that fussy. But when making my own multi samples each sample needs to be at least 4-8 seconds long to sustain notes if your not going to spend the HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS, trying to get good loop points. If all your going to do is use professional soundfonts, then go ahead and get the APS. If not consider what I have said. 32 megs is sufficient but of course more is always better.

Message 7/22             29-Dec-98  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

I get yor point, whater your name is ;-). And yes, I think too that more RAM would give you much flexibility.

I still remember a sampler module I once had (2 years ago)which I then considered as a technical miracle when I bought it. It was a Roland S550 and it had 1 or 2 Mb. Now 32 is not enough! Time changes...

Rafael

Message 8/22             30-Dec-98  @  01:50 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

adams04

Hi Raphael
Have you done any serious Audio recordings yet?
I had a lot of trouble getting error-free Wavs with my Maxi HSP64,and finally the sync went completely so i,ve sent it back for testing.

I may well be looking for a new card to replace mine so Audio in a Sequencer is very important to me.

Can you explain what i do if i want to convert all my music,samples from 44Khz to 48? Everything i did this year was at 44,so i want to know if its a big hassle to convert my stuff or not?

cheers Carey(mutant)

Message 9/22             30-Dec-98  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

I'm not an expert on audio. All I have are some humble opinions. If you want to replace your card with APS only to get better HD-recording, there are better options. HD-recording is not APS' main function. I haven't really used that function that much yet to be able to say anything more specific.

The good thing about APS is that you can prolong audio recording playing around with midi, because of the many effects on APS. This way you can experiment much more before you start recording.

Rafael

Message 10/22             30-Dec-98  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

I have an APS, and I can say that it is an excellent card for audio recording. While the main attraction to the card is its midi and sampling capabilities, the card has excellent features for pure audio recording as well. I've been very pleased with the sound quality and the quality of the effects. I also have the Maxi HSP64, and I consider the APS a big step up in terms of flexibility, ease of use and effects implementation.

The only disadvantage of the APS relative to some other cards out there, from an audio standpoint, is that there is only 1 stereo buss for the audio. By contrast, the Yamaha SW1000XG, for example, has 3 stereo busses, which enables you to route some audio tracks through a "clean" buss (no effects) and some through 2 other busses with effects, with all busses being summed before they are output from the card. There's only 1 physical stereo output, but internally there are 3 busses to work with. With the APS, there's only 1 stereo buss for audio, so effects you apply to the audio buss will be applied to all audio tracks. I think the HSP64 has 4 internal stereo busses, but the effects are so limited you don't really get the opportunity to use these busses effectively.

Bob

Message 11/22             30-Dec-98  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Regarding the question of converting samples from 44.1K to 48K, I've not yet created any samples from scratch for my APS, but I don't think any conversion process is necessary. I'm pretty sure the spec for Soundfonts allows 44.1K samples. The APS internally processes everything at 48K, but you don't need to convert your samples to 48K to use the APS.

Bob

Message 12/22             30-Dec-98  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

adams04

Thanks for the info Bob
Is there another card like the Pinnacle then,that offers more busses as i certainly want different FX and levels on music to what i use on my Vocals?

carey

Message 13/22             30-Dec-98  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

If you are really aiming at a product like TB Pinnacle only because it migh have better HD-recording you better consider buyng APS for a while longer for this reason: E-MU has promised an update in the beginning of the next year. This update, according to my local dealer, is going to amongst other things add several audio busses. Another option could be buying a cheap audio card like midiman or something in additions to APS.

Then you've got Yamaha SW1000XG. But who wants to go into programming a synth?

Rafael

Message 14/22             30-Dec-98  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Lettus Be

Link?:  Link

My main concern is the 32 meg limit. BUT I keep thinking I could just render all the other parts to .wav because I'm only going to play 1 or 2 parts per song LIVE anyway.

Though this thing about the 1 bus really concerns me as well... Oh well

LB

Message 15/22             31-Dec-98  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

Well I bought the damned thing and I feal no pain. No concerns... :-)

Rafael

Message 16/22             31-Dec-98  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

The Pinnacle has only 1 audio buss, so that's not the answer. I didn't mean to scare anyone away from the APS by pointing out the lack of multiple audio busses--in fact, the Yamaha SW1000XG is the only card I know of that has multiple audio busses, so it's not really a "deficiency" in the APS--it's a deficiency of most cards. And I'm thrilled to read Raphael's comment about the upcoming update that will add multiple busses. With that update, the APS will be unbeatable.

Also, keep in mind that most audio software applications today provide directX effects so you CAN add directx reverb to vocals and other directx effects to your instrumental tracks using different directX effects. What I do if I want to use an APS-based effect on my vocals is record the wave file clean to start with, and then re-record it with the effects added. The APS can internally route the effected signal back to the APS input, so this is all done digitally.

If you're thinking of a Pinnacle, I assume it's because you want sampling capabilities. If you want sampling, I would definitely steer you to the APS. I'm extremely impressed with the Soundfont CDs available from EMU, Sonido Media, Hrusk Audio and others, so you have an excellent library of sounds available to you. The Pinnacle, by contrast, has very few commercial samples available, although you can convert most Soundfonts to the Pinnacle sample format using the Awave shareware program.

Bob

Message 17/22             31-Dec-98  @  12:32 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Regarding the concern about the 32meg sample ram limit, I guess that's a personal choice, but I've never felt constained by it. I can load in a high quality (2 to 4 meg) bass guitar, lead guitar, drums, brass, strings, and use up only 10 to 20 megs. That leaves another 12 for a decent piano. By that point (actually long before that point), I've clearly run out of polyphony, so I never really get to the point where a sample ram is an issue.

As I said in one of the other APS threads on this site, I have a number of sound cards spread among 3 different computers, and, within minutes of the time I had it installed, the APS had me making better music faster and more easily than any of my other sound cards.

Bob

Message 18/22             31-Dec-98  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

I've got the Sw1000xg and Reality. The two work well together. If you have a soundblaster card I recommend Audiosim. Its a realtime control synth that costs about $40.00. The sound is a little raw but VERY punchy. Its monophonic but you can save wav files and import them into a sampler. It works well for analog and it has superbass response, better than any synth I have ever heard. I then take the wav files in soundforge and slap on some effects if needed. I put a looped sequence into reality and I then have dozen of looped sequences to build a song. 32 megs of ram is plenty if your loading preset sounds, but for the way I like to arrange its not quite enough. Seer systems designed the softsynth used in the AWE64, since the APS also uses system ram the 32 meg limit is in the software, maybe they could expand this. My advice is just to buy what suits your needs.

Happy NY 1999!

Message 19/22             04-Jan-99  @  06:46 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Any word from EMU when Direct X (Direct Sound) will be supported? I purchased a less expensive card so that I could play games and such. But there are some other issues that I have that I hope Direct Sound Compatibility will solve.

Tim

Message 20/22             04-Jan-99  @  06:56 AM   -   An APS Puzzle. (Help Please)

witchway

I use my APS primarily for composing witha guitar and a keyboard controller. So far it has been really easy to use and has provided me with the best recording quality I have ever experienced (on my own). There are a couple of weird things that I can't figure out.. maybe one of you have the same prob??? I Use Cakewalk 8 Deluxe. When I record from an analog strip, I can't record the effect. Even though I am able to monitor the effect while I am recording, it is recorded dry. The only way that I have found that I can record the effect is by selecting Stereo Mix as my record source. This is very frustrating when I am trying to record while streaming audio via another digital audio track or MIDI, because all of the strips are then recorded to one track. Can anyone offer a suggestion??? Thanks, Tim

Message 21/22             04-Jan-99  @  08:07 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

Hi Tim

I don't really think that Cakewalk 8.0 is the reason to that. And what the real reason I don't know. I have experienced similar problems myself but I havent's investigated it yet.

But I know that E-MU doesn't recommend using Cakewalk 8.0 yet. According to them one gets best results using the Cakewalk version that followed with the package. I know that some people have experienced audio being played out of sync with the newest version of Cakewalk.

Rafael

Message 22/22             07-Jan-99  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing the APS and was hoping that someone could help me answer some basic questions.

I would imagine the APS to be quite similar to the Pulsar in its "role"; it's basically a synth/sampler and a mixer/effects (with assortment of software), right?. For example, if I were to use another midi/audio recording software like Cubase instead of the bundled Cakewalk package, would APS just be the downstream mixer with effects (with Cubase controlling the APS synth/sampler)? The internal mixer of the Cubase would be in-line with that of the APS, I would imagine.

Also, does the APS come with a genuine synthersizer beyond that of just synth samples that I can tweak?

Thank you in advance.

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)