aaa Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             23-Aug-00  @  06:32 PM   -   Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Dum Bow (ellipsis)

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Okay, so i've been at my computer for like 14 hours a day the past 4 days trying to figure out what to do.. i think i have the solution figured out

I have a pIII 700 Mhz 256 MB ram machine (2 20gig hd's, 1 solely for audio storage)

I dont have enough money for the va's and efx's and such that i want, and i cant get a job (parents and stuff) so i think i have found out a solution...

i am buying a copy of cubase vst 3.7 frome some1, and i am going to buy the VST synth from stienberg (it seems as powerfull as like a nova to me, at least spec-wise.. that coupled with some freware synths and all the free plug-in efx available, and i should be set).. i dont mind using the computer for music, but i want the low latency that you described in previous threads.. so i think a hoontech card is the way to go.

as you can tell, since i want to do everything softare-based, i need to have a soundcard with the low latency drivers.. but since i hardly have any outboard (just the es-1.. and then all of my hand drums and physical percussian stuff, which i am going to record one track at a time..) i only need at most stereo in and stereo out..

i have no need for the 8 by 8 or 40 by 40 solutions i heard you talking about...

what hoontech solution is best for me? i really trust what you say, and your backing a product as your "wonder card" is enough to make up my mind for me.. i am not following blind, its just that i cant see anything wrong with the hoontechs... except for the fact that the modularity of the system is very confusing..

so yea, what parts do i need to order? you said you dont wanna ship internationally.. so should i find a US distributor or have a UKer buy from you and send it to me? I dont need a breakoutbox that is rackmounted for any reason (i dont even own a rack..) either rca or 1/4" or xlr connectors would work.

Thanks Man, i just wanna score my heart into sound.. i really dont get all the modularity of the hoontech's..

aaron

if you need to mail me for any reason please dont hesitate to do so.

thanks again.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             23-Aug-00  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Dum Bow (ellipsis)

almost forgot to explain the thread tittle.. this might be easy for you to get your head around.. but i couldnt find any visual representation of the system, so i need it turned into babyfood for me to follow linearly..

a visual ideaweb or fowchart or something explaining the hoontech system would be cool..

(by the sytem i mean the modularity of its components, not the internal mixing and stuff, i get that)

Message 3/16             24-Aug-00  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Link?: Link

What do you want to do?
Do you think you'll be needing additional inputs, outputs, ADAT, spdif, MIDI, in the future? Somewhere in the future you might want to use more outboard gear, maybe synths, FX, sample, vocalist (now there's an outboard gear...what's the best vocalist for trance type of music?;)... right?

Sound Track Digital Audio 4/16 ch or Audio DSP 24 (which u could expand later) might be for u... But i just can't see why take something else thant DSP 24 and AD/DA 2000 package...

Message 4/16             24-Aug-00  @  06:27 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Dr. B....

you should check also the Waveterminal 2496 from EgoSys; it's a very uncomplicated soundcard and delivers great performance for VST Instruments with Cubase (~7ms latency), 2 A/in,2 A/out, 1 D/in, 1 D/out and the price is o.k. (~330 USD), i'm very happy with this card ;-)

regards
Dr. B....

Message 5/16             24-Aug-00  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Point Being

no outboard gear 'cept es-1 and my drums.. oh yea, have a singer now, too.. so maybe i will just get the Audio DSP with the ADC box.. i dont need all those outs... can i do that, just buy the input box?

Dr. B... can you do the realtime efx processing? What is the D port you speak of?

Message 6/16             24-Aug-00  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

ADC box's got al inputs and outs... but you*can*certainly buy Audio DSP of course.theres 2 dig i/o and line I/o... tho K said somethin tho about that card own output wasn't 1st class quality (just for monitoring)...
Check out their website there's for different options. There seem to be quite a few different boxes whixh you could use with that little beast.

I don't know about Isis... but i/o count might be for your taste.

But still price is so ridiculous with dsp/adc box....

You're planning to do everything with sw? Never going to touch hw ynth? not even controller?
I wish you luck on chosen path...

Message 7/16             24-Aug-00  @  08:09 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Point Being

wait, you saud ADC box's got all inputs and outputs?

what does this mean?

i had used hardware.. and when i get more money will get more.. i am going to buy a controller, and i am thinking about buying a fader box or 2..

thanks all

Message 8/16             24-Aug-00  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

k

well, the thing is yes, you ca use just the card without the rack, BUT... there is no midi ports on the card, and that maybe very important, cos half the miracle for me of this setup is the slid VST clock i'm getting... - i didnt get time yet, but, mebbe ask that guy Claus who posted in the hoontech thread, as he worked on the drivers etc for the product and is the official hoontech support for europe. - Hoontech do some other smaller boxes that plug into the card - so ask him about a box with just midi ports & mebbe also a better quality I/o in stereo - i'm sure they do one - i also wish you good luck with s/w only, but having said that is it perfectly possible... my mate recently took me round to see some epople working with ninjatunes, and they were using an audio-only VST setup to create the music. - rebirth does work very well, so does neon, i aint had time to try others tho yet... i'm wating for the new PC to come first.

Message 9/16             24-Aug-00  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Point Being

ninjatunes? you're VERY lucky.. the "Let Us Play" videeo is what LARGELY got me into electronic music. (big thanks to rudy who let my bro borrow it)..

cool cool, i will send claus an e-mail.

the package you got was the $500 one, right? And that one had all the digi i/o and the midi ports?

thanks man.. you and this site are a godsend.. (if i ever get it in the big, i will try to be VERY supportive of this site..)

Message 10/16             25-Aug-00  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Like k said card itself doesn't have those i/o (except digitals on the daughterboard and usual one line i/o and mic).

The audio dsp card is dort of "base module" on which you can connect diffenerend kinds of external boxes (modulator, adc, dac, ADAT/TASCAM rack) ... or all of them. On their site you can see all the options (but it is quite confusing. patience). One i (and k) have is ADC&DAC 2000.

pick the one that suits you

Message 11/16             26-Aug-00  @  12:43 PM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

k

frankly though, the reason i didnt take any time to check out their smaller cheaper option add-on boxes/hardware is simply cos the rack is so bloody cheap anyway !!! - still, i'll have a look, and when i finally add the DT 'Hoontech' DSP2496-Card page, i'll list the option boxes there in 'plain-speak'

Message 12/16             26-Aug-00  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Point Being

Okay, i think i hav finally got my head around this (thats the way it is to me.. i am soo lost and wandering around in the dark and then.. BAM! realization)

Okay, so i was talking to claus, and he said this about the Audio DSP 24 (the main card)

"The card itself uses an 18bit Codec for AD- and
DA-conversion
of the type which is also used on consumer soundcards like the SB 128
or
similar products. The quality is OK for monitoring, windows system
sounds or
possibly even some game-playing, etc. - the external converters are of
course much better. The fact that the chip is placed inside the
computer
makes a difference but not a big one. With good layout on the PCB,
noise
from inside the system can be so unimportant that it's not worth to
mention
it."

BUT.. he also said

"Because we get many similar questions in the last months, we decided to
develop a new hardware-revision (called DSP24 MK II) with a 24bit/96kHz
ADC/DAC on the card itself. This will provide 2 channel balanced I/O
(using
XLR connectors) but it also will provide the same functions as the
current
card (which means that you can add an external multi-channel converter
later) including exactly the same driver (same latency, etc.). The
retail
price of that card will be around 200 US$ as it looks now. However,
this
card does not contain a mic-preamp and also MIDI I/O is not included
unless
you connect an external box to it like the ADC/DAC2000."

I am thinking of waiting for the Audio DSP II (which would cost about 200 bucks) but then, i have to keep my mixer (for the preamp and whatnot)... BUT, if i sell my mixer (1604a) Then i am only like $100 short of ADC & DAC 200 package.. and i save $20 if i buy the audio card and the ext boxes together...

Kilo and ville.. how are the mic pre's? Are they useable, or am i gonna have to go uot and but a meek pre?

so yea, the adc&dac 2000 package and an sm 57 and i should be pretty much set.. oh yea, and if stefani would ever be quiet for a second while i am trying to see if her singings on time, maybe i could get some work done   .... *sigh* is there a hardware utility to make chatterboxes know when to be quiet? heeeheeheee..

Message 13/16             27-Aug-00  @  07:26 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

k

i dont htink it's a joe meek or whatever - but it is as good as you'll get on a budget mixer (not a crap one a respectable one) -

clause that is interesting idea for the new card - will the balanced outs be on a spare 'plate' like the s/pdif ?.. how can you otherwise fit them on the card ?

also if yoyve time and know this without looking - whats a midi box you can plug into the dsp2496, just to get ports, but using the cards 'monitor i/o for audio -

by the way Point-being - if youve a dat then you could run your mix to that, stick it in standby, and into the card s/pdif in from there - (if you get the s/pdif bracket add-on that is)

Message 14/16             27-Aug-00  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

Point Being

hmmmm.. i thought about that.. but i dont have a dat currently (*sigh*)

i am just gonna buy the adc&dac2000 kit..

Message 15/16             28-Aug-00  @  02:46 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

I haven't done any recording with pre-amps... i'm fixing my computer again and i dont have motherboard at the moment so i can't try them out. K's experience is better on these things. frankly i don't know anything about that...

Message 16/16             29-Aug-00  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: Turning Cake into babyfood (kilo, help!)

claus

Hi guys - just a comment about the DSP24 MK II: the balanced I/O connectors are realized through an included adaptor to a D-SUB connector on the card (the place where the line in/out's are at the current hardware revision).

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)