aaa help with laptop soundcard - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: help with laptop soundcard

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             26-Aug-00  @  05:43 AM   -   help with laptop soundcard

russkie100

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Hello, I would like to know if exists a usb or pcmcia soundcard with midi for my laptop. It must have the following: 1) midi in,out the more the better 2) digital in and out 3) analogue ins and outs
Thanks SPACE

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             26-Aug-00  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

claus

Link?: Link

Check the WaMi Box from EGO SYStems Inc. (http://www.egosys.net/)

Message 3/9             26-Aug-00  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

k

Link?:  No link

indeedy - we will be buying and testing this product soon as it's really about the only option available giving a decent compliment of facilities - it's at the top of the list to hands-on test when the DT funds are finally all in place - so if it works well, that would be fantastic- i have a feeling it might be very good, it is another pretty un-known korean hardware company in the music biz in the west, but so is Hoontech, & that turned out just fine, so i can't wait to try the Egosys

Message 4/9             26-Aug-00  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

russkie100

thanks K and Claus for putting me on the right way :O)

Message 5/9             29-Aug-00  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

influx

Digigram VXpocket. no midi tho.

then theres the Roland UA100 USB. digi and analog IO AND MIDI

Message 6/9             03-Sep-00  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

Mick

I've been looking at the Roland UA-100 but the specs are kind of weird and the digital I/O is less than inspiring in that there is no digital input.

The UA-30 seems a little better speced but would require a separate midi interface such as their UM-2 (not a horrible proposition, just not an "all in one"). In addition it only supports 16/44.1 & 24/48. I would have liked to see 16/48 support since my DPS-12 will only do 16/44.1 and 16/48 and I don't want to have to record at 16/44.1 till it's time to burn the CD. In addition, I don't have any way to do the conversion from 16/48 to 24/48 without buying yet more gear and I'm over that.

For the price the Roland gear looks good but it's very limited regarding I/O and sample rate. I guess that's why the other solutions I've looked at are in the $1000.00 range.

All I want is to be able to take a K-2000 on the road, write and record with four stereo tracks using my lappy then, when I return home, dump those tracks onto the DPS-12 and add tracks if I feel the need.

The idea of synching my laptop to my gear at home is frightening to say the least. I spent four months, earlier this year upgrading gear, sorting out ergonomics and sussing out midi problems and am not interested integrating anything new.

Simple, economical and compatible? I guess I'll keep dreaming for a couple of more years unless anyone here has answers.

Mick

Message 7/9             03-Sep-00  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

k

what lappy you got?.. what's it running? - my mate does rnb & garage session with an ibm thinkpad an s1100 & a jv & a dat - product level for smaller labels, demo for larger, using the standard lappy's I/O

Message 8/9             04-Sep-00  @  04:12 AM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

Mick

It's a Toshiba Satellite 2755DVD with a 600mgz PIII cpu, a 6 gig HD, two pcmcia slots (or one type 3), and usb. My audio input is a single "mic in" so stereo input is out of the question without an aftermarket interface.

What I'm looking to do is to use a k2k and a sequencer to do relatively simple scratchpad type stuff. If I run out of voices, the k2k being only 24 voice, I want to be able to record the sequence's audio, to free up the voices, synch the audio, and begin sequencing again. In addition I want to be able to record vocals. When I get home I want to be able to use what I've done with my home setup, as noted above. I'm trying to keep it all as simple as possible.

My concerns are with transferring the digital data (audio) from the lappy to my DPS12. I don't want to have to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a box to do sample rate conversion for bit to bit transfers but I don't want to record everything at 16/44.1 instead of 16/48 in order to make it work. I guess I'm asking a lot for how little I am willing to spend. The age-old dilemma, eh?

I have even bigger concerns regarding the bandwidth of USB version 1. I have heard that it does not want to see more than one peripheral on the port. If that's true then separate midi and audio interfaces will not work. That narrows my options considerably and I'm none too happy about it. I can't afford to beta test something on my own ticket either. If I buy it needs to work.

What does your friend do when he/she needs to integrate the work on the lappy with another setup?

I know, in theory, I should be able to sync the lappy with my sequencer at home and it should lock fine. That would mean having the DPS12, the 486 running Cubase 2.6, and the lappy all locked and chatting together in synch. Call me cynical and jaded but I'll believe it when I see it and, frankly, I don't want to be the one to try it. I know how I am and I would spend weeks inside never seeing daylight except through my windows; personal hygiene would become a perceived impediment to my progress as would healthy nutrition and human interaction until I solved the problem. It gets ugly. Even if I did get them all chatting away merrily I would have to do conversion and dithering for two different rates/frequencies at mixdown. Not a very simple, economical, solution.

To say I'm open to suggestions would be understating the matter more than just a little. It's not like this is "cutting edge" rocket science but it's beginning to feel like I'm trying to launch a shuttle into orbit.

Mick

Message 9/9             06-Sep-00  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: help with laptop soundcard

Mick

Tascam US-428 is what I've decided on, it even comes with a copy of Cubasis so I'll have 4 stereo tracks to play with without spending more dosh. It's pretty much an all in one solution with a mixer/control surface, 2 xlr, 2 balanced trs, two unbalanced inputs (designed for direct guitar/bass), spdif i/o, 2 midi ins and outs, 24/48 or 16/44.1/48 recording. The best part, though, is it's about the same size as my lappy and I don't have to be concerned with carrying a bunch of seperate pieces like a mixer, seperate midi and audio interfaces, mic pre and di box.

Drawbacks? No onboard fx or SMPTE read/write capability. I can track using native fx and my desktop system's interface has SMPTE so I'm not too concerned. It should fulfill my requirments on the road I think.

I'll put it to the test in about a month when I leave town again for four weeks in Alabama or South Dakota. All I'm taking is the Tascam and the K2k. I'm excited. Perhaps I'll write a real review if anyone is interested.

Mick

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)