aaa EPS vs. Emax - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: EPS vs. Emax

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             04-Jul-99  @  10:45 AM   -   EPS vs. Emax

Jeppe

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need a cheap sampler / master keyboard... should I get an Emax I or EPS original? They cost the same.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             02-Oct-99  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: EPS vs. Emax

.[

I think that the sound is very different.remember however that eps doesn't have resonont filters

Message 3/8             03-Oct-99  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: EPS vs. Emax

jondl

Link?: Link

I owned an Emax II for many years and the voice structure is very similar to the Emax I. Within a preset you can specify a note range such as C2-C3 for a 'voice'. A 'voice' being a sample mapped to that note range. Each voice can have its own MIDI transmit channel. You can copy a specified segment of a 'voice' back unto itself - such as G2-C3 and it also may have its own MIDI transmit channel. So, if effect, one sample mapped between C2-F#2 could transmit on Ch. 1 and G2-C3 could transmit on Ch. 2 if you like. You could also layer the two 'voices' as primary and secondary layers and retain the independent MIDI transmit channels. Pretty flexible and simple layout. However, multitimbral mode on the Emax series was not as elegant as on the E-mu Proteus series and all of its incarnations. Finally, the Emax KB only transmits Velocity - no aftertouch. All that said it makes for a decent KB controller.

The EPS KB not only transmits Velocity but Polyphonic Aftertouch - a real nice thing to have as so few manufactureres ever implemented this into their KB controllers. The feel is less similar to a weighted KB controller than the Emax series - more like a rounded key top than square. That said, I've always enjoyed Enosniq KB's but I'm not classically trained. I can't attest to the Voice layout but I believe you could have 8 sounds resident in memory at once and you can load the next voice *while playing* - a real boon to live performance I imagine. Ensoniq and E-mu synth capabilites have always been very flexible as far as modulation schemes go. Considering their current price range - you can't go wrong with either.

There is an Emax / Emax II page still on the web - the link can be found in the Der Linx page. There is also an page called Ensoniq Resources on the 'Net (again, on the Der Linx page) where you will find tons of Ensoniq info. There has always been a great deal more sounds and support for the EPS than the Emax on the 'net if that weighs into your decision. You can check out my site for more Ensoniq stuff - I've not gotten round to updating to the 'new' EMU/ENSONIQ website yet...

Message 4/8             14-Oct-99  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: EPS vs. Emax

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

the only thing that the Emax2 has on the eps is the resonant filter. I believe it's a real VCF. that's nothing to snuff at. However, in almost every other aspect, the EPS(16+) eats the emu for breakfast. The sound quality is more satisfying. I't easier to edit and manipulate sounds with the EPS, especially on the fly (in a 'live' type situation). Also, it's easier to read the screen; especially on a dark stage. Effects are software based, and there's all kinds of neat stuff you can do with them, especially the resampling stuff. I swear by my EPS16+. The only thing I'd even think about trading it for is an ASR10 rack unit, and even that's a maybe.

Ape

Message 5/8             15-Oct-99  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: EPS vs. Emax

jondl

P- makes a real good point regarding the 'live' performance features of the EPS series. For the record, the Emax I had analog filters - the Emax II had digital filters w/ Resonance that sounded great (they were much better than any other digital filter on the market at the time.) However, you couldn't sweep the Resonance in real time. Oddly enough, you could map it to velocity for whack percussion and bass sounds.

I still miss my Emax II but I'm pretty pleased with the ASR-X Pro given it's shortcomings...

Message 6/8             16-Oct-99  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: EPS vs. Emax

pv

Hey pongoid , tell us more about resampling .
Could you resample the sounds with effects ?
thanx in advance

Message 7/8             20-Oct-99  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: EPS vs. Emax

jondl

Link?: Link

Well, since Pongoid is busy elsewhere...here goes...

The EPS16+ allowed you to resample a sound through the internal effects bus to create a new sample which could then be used or resampled again. I don't recall if there was a limit on available polyphony for resampling on the ESP16+. The ASR-10 took resampling a step further and allowed 'direct to disk' sampling (if I'm not mistaken.)

The ASR-X & Pro models allow you to resample to your hearts content, through the internal effects bus', with no limits on polyphony, i.e., up to the maximum 32 voices can be playing simultaneously and resampled to create a new sample for further manipulation. The only other instrument I know of that does it nearly as well is the Yamaha A3000 but, it has a four voice limit on polyphony (or 2 stereo voices - again, this could be out of date and changed in the V2 model.)

I think the new Akai MPC2000XL introduces resampling but, IMO, it doesn't hold a match to the ASR-X implementation ;-)

jondl

Message 8/8             25-Oct-99  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: EPS vs. Emax

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Actually, one of the things that really blows me away about the ASR10 is it's ability to sample at the output, meaning if you have a patch made up drums from various breaks, and you want to play them together as a break going through the effects, so that let's say for example you had it all going through some delay and flange, you could sequence your rythm, then run it through your effect, set it to your desired settings, then hit resample, play the sequence and the whole thing gets sampled so that you have a whole new effected break to chop now, whereas in the EPS, it can only resample the individual sounds through the effects and the unit triggers the sounds internally. Not quite as cool, but still pretty neat. Not sure about this polyphony question. Hope this helped.

Ape

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)