aaa ZR-76 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: ZR-76

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             26-Aug-99  @  06:30 AM   -   ZR-76

4uhlh

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

i have several questions about the ZR-76. for 1, is this truly the *only* keyboard on the market with a "perfect piano" ? that's a bit shocking considering kurzweil's seem to be very expensive for the reason of sound samples... second, the Flash add-on that is 4 megs (i think).. would this allow me to sample sounds (wav/aiff) and play them on the keyboard? and third is the flash expansion required to make samples or does it just give you 4 more megs of space?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             01-Sep-99  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: ZR-76

jondl

Link?: Link

I'll try to answer as best I can.

1) The "Perfect Piano" hype is inreference to the Piano samples used by the ZR-76. There is a commercial CD-ROM named "William Coakleys Perfect Piano" which is very well regarded for its outstanding piano samples. Ensoniq licensed these samples for both the ZR-76 and one of their EXP expansion cards used in the MR/ASR-X/ASR-X Pro series. It may or may not be the "best ever" - if that matters to you - but it is very, very impressive.

2) The ZR-76 does not have a sampling engine - it only provides for sample playback. This gives you access to the tons of .wav and .aif on the web, in your exisitng library, and of course commercial CD's.

3) ...and more on #2 - the Flash expansion allows you to retain your samples in memory after the ZR had been powered off. Next tiem you power it on - there are your samples.

I've only played the ZR briefly but I was impressed with the action of the keys and the sound quality. I believe it also has the same filters as the ASR-X series (unlike the MR!) I know that the Emu-Ensoniq merger really shook things up at Ensoniq and that there has been a back order on the ZR and ASR-X Pro. The story going around is that a custom chip has been in short supply and they are in 'catch up' mode. Don't ya just LOVE supply & demand?

Regards,
Jon

Message 3/4             18-Sep-99  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: ZR-76

88keys

Link?:  No link

About the action on the ZR-76. Can anyone compare that action to various other weighted action boards? For instance, the RD-500 (Roland digital piano) or the RD-600, which I *think* has a different action, or the Kurzweil 2500X or KX-88, Korg weighted boards, or the Generalmusic Pro 2 (or new Equinox Pro) action... is the ZR-76 heavier, lighter, mushier, slower, faster... ? Lots of adjectives there! :o) Anyway, I'm going to retire my RD-500 to the living room and want some board that has, among other things, really great action and a really great piano sound. Thing is, if it has workstation-like qualities along with some sort of virtual analog and/or sampling or sample playback... well, the more the better, so long as the quality is tops and it is friendly. Also, I'd prefer it try not to hover too much over 3K$, and if it wants to be half that, that'd be fine, too.

Thanks....

J.R.

Message 4/4             18-Sep-99  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: ZR-76

4uhlh

Link?:  No link

the action i can't really tell youtoo much about. i played the keys for about 5 seconds at a store months ago and the've been sold out since. they should have it in by now. all i remember is that i liked it better than the alesis qs8 keys, the zr-76 had a bit faster response time and went down easier/faster. if you go to www.zzounds.com they have a list price of under 3k but you can get one at zzounds for about $2300

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)