aaa Interrested in ASR-X Pro - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             02-Sep-99  @  10:45 AM   -   Interrested in ASR-X Pro

Harry.Mitschele

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

To all ASR-X Pro Users,

I am interested to buy an ASR-X Pro Turbo but my dealer said that this product causes a lot of trouble. Now please all you ASR-X Pro users, could you please help me on this. My dealer mentioned a lot of bugs and malfunctions and that they had to return 7 out of 10 units back to ensoniq for service. My dealer very strongly recommend not to buy this product because of unstable and faulty behaviour.

Thanks for any feedback

Harry

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             02-Sep-99  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

jondl

Link?: Link

Harry,
Okay, I'll try to help as best I can. First, I've posted a short review in the ASR-X section of Dancetech - give it the once over. Read K's article too.

Two, go to http://www.onelist.com/ and do a search on ASRX. You'll find instructiosn to subscribe to the ASRX Mailing list AND there is an archive. It is a very active list. There is a second mailing list too which was a spin off for bitch sessions. I think it died off...

Three, check my site (the URL is right there for you.) I've posted links, freeware for Mac, tech spec's and commentary. You'll find more than enough ASR-X & Ensoniq info to get you going. I've more updates in the works - possibly this weekend as time permits.

The #1 problem with the X Pro TODAY has to do with matched pairs of EDO SIMMs - they don't behave in the ASR-X Pro. I've no explanation why they work in my unit - to date at least. The Sequencer timing is *okaaaay* but, it will hiccup when you use the real time 'mute' buttons. As far as your dealers '7 out of 10' comment - I've no idea except to guess there was either a. A bad manufacturing run -or- b. they were damaged in transit. Of course he could be full of it too. I've bailed on local dealers - mail order and DIY from now on.

I think you should check out the A3000 & MPC2000 sites (yes, I've posted links at my site) and you'll find they have their share of problems too - maybe even more so for the MP2K. Those fellas are certainly no less kind to Akai than the X users are on Ensoniq ;-)

Good luck,
Jon

Message 3/9             13-Sep-99  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

tpeppers

I've had the original ASR-X for two years now. It's had many problems, but its workable and very easy to use...I imagine the new ASR-X Pro Turbo has cleaned up many of the bugs, so any problems left must be trivial compared to what used to be the case. Anyway, this is a good sampler/synth for the beginner, but I'm about ready for my next purchase and I'm gonna move on to something else.

Message 4/9             13-Sep-99  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

jondl

You know, you may want to hold onto your ASR-X for awhile longer. I had my first sampler - an Emax II - for 8 years before I decided to 'graduate' to a new sampler. I got everything I wanted in the ASR-X Pro that I found lacking in the Emax II - multi-wave LFO's, dedicate PEG, resampling, improved SCSI compatability, the ability to import multi format samples (.WAV, .AIF, Akai, Roland, etc.), improved sound quality, i could go on & on but the point is I nver felt that I really taxed the Emax II beyonds it's limits in eight years, I can't believe I'll have exploited every feature in the ASR-X within 24 months. Don't be too hastey to spend money twice...good luck. J-

Message 5/9             11-Oct-99  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

druma

I have the black X and I will never sell it! prehaps upgrade 2 a pro, its a fab! recycle on weels!

Message 6/9             15-Oct-99  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

m_smooth69

im interested in buying a used Asr x pro do you know where i could get a good deal

Message 7/9             15-Oct-99  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

jondl

Yeah, the red 'X' is pretty cool. I'm stil happy with mine but, there is room for improvement. The new EMU/ENSONIQ web site is up and running with the combined support documentation for both. The navigations is so-so but everything looks like it made it over from the old Ensoniq site.

I'd encourage anyone with a black or red 'X' to email E/E with their feedback and/or wish list. If they won't come to us - we shall take it to them ;-)

I'd like to see the backwards compatability with EPS/ASR sounds improved; I'd like the lag time in the Mute buttons cleared up; I'd like direct numeric entry from the essentials buttons (I find them useless as they stand); I'd like to see better quality potentiometers used for the Parameter & Value knobs; I'd like to have a S/PDIF option; I'd like OS 4 to be released; I'd like Propellerhaeds to provide direct support in ReCycle; Get the idea? Great!

jondl

Message 8/9             17-Oct-99  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

k

well, it appears that Ensoniq have been guzzled-up like E-mu by Creative - they are all now under one banner company.... oh shit!!

Message 9/9             20-Oct-99  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Interrested in ASR-X Pro

jondl

It's true. Creative bought up E-mu in either late '97 or early '98. Then, in late '98 Creative bought Ensoniq. The Ensoniq instrument division in Pennsylvania, USA was shutdown and relocated to E-mu's headquarters on the West Coast. Rumour has it that there was nifty Paris display at the AES convention and that EMU/ENSONIQ still take it seriously as a viable product. ASR-X Pro and ZR-76 supply dwindeld while demand built up and the rumours are that a custom chip used by both was in short supply so orders became back logged (this created LOTS of gossip.) Anyway, it seems that ASR-X Pro's are making there way back into shops with E-mu serial numbers on the bottom label as opposed to Ensoniq. Good news or bad news? I don't know...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)