aaa Attention ASR-X Pro Users... - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Attention ASR-X Pro Users...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             20-Oct-99  @  09:17 PM   -   Attention ASR-X Pro Users...

jondl

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

...you're support is needed!

In the little mini-review I posted weeks ago here at DT, and at my web site, I posted remarks regarding problems that some users were having with two 32 MB SIMMs in their ASR-X Pro (matched or unmatched) and that it appeared to be with certain EDO SIMMs. Well, guess what? The problem still exists! You'll know if it affects you - the unit flakes out when the 2nd SIMM is installed but works fine w/only one SIMM.

Again, I have NOT had any problem with the full 66 MB of RAM in my ASR-X Pro (2 MB on the motherboard plus two 32 MB EDO SIMMs = 66 MB) but, at least a half dozen other people have. This is a hardware problem not a software problem. It was reported to Ensoniq months ago but, now that EMU/ENSONIQ are part of the Creative Labs "umbrella" E-mu has yet to publicly announce what action, if any, has been, or will be taken. This is NOT the way to sell a worthwhile tool like the ASR-X Pro (or any other for that matter.)

So, if you own an ASR-X Pro and have or have not had problems with two 32 MB SIMMs installed - please get onto the ASR-X Mailing list at onelist.com this month and let us know. We are trying to put together a list of Serial Numbers affected / unaffected by the problem along with the manufacture date which appears on the underside of the ASR-X Pro chassis.

Oh, and don't think we've forgotten about the OS 4 announcement back in Jan. '99 either ;-) Vaporware...

Thx in advance. jondl

Kilo - thanks for the 'soapbox' - no hard feelings if you delete this post :-)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             25-Oct-99  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: Attention ASR-X Pro Users...

jondl

It appears EMU/ENSONIQ have at last acknowledge the issue of 66 MB's of RAM with the ASR-X Pro. What follows is their repsonse to the issue. Notice that the response excludes EDO SIMMs - I don't know what to make of this as the manual cleary states either EDO or non EDO may be used. If time & money permits I may try a pair of non EDO SIMMs to see if there is an difference in performance.

FROM EMU ***************************************************

The ASR-X Pro can exhibit peculiar behavior when 64 meg of RAM has been
installed. After some time of research I have found that it is not a
technical or software based malfunction. It is simply a dirty simm
socket, or the wrong simm's are in use.

CLEANING THE SIMM SOCKETS:
There are a few tools needed to rectify the situation.
1. Isopropyl Alcohol
2. An Acid brush
(Any electronics store or possibly even a Radio Shake carries them)
Remove the simm's from the unit.
Dampen the acid brush's bristles.
(Alcohol should NOT be dripping from the brush)
Lightly wiggle the brush in and across both simm sockets
WAIT FOR THE UNIT TO DRY
(This should not take long because alcohol has a fast evaporation time)
Reseat the Simm's
(be sure to make the simms fit snug and straight into the sockets)
Correct simm description for the ASR-X/X Pro:
Standard SIMM's that are 32 bit non-parity, or 36-bit parity
72-pin only
70 ns (nanoseconds) or faster
Non-EDO.
The SIMM is a 5-volt chip, 3-volt SIMMS will not properly fit the ASR-X
SIMM socket.

If your unit is still displaying odd behavior, please take your unit AND
THE SIMM's to an authorized service center for further diagnosis and
repair.

jondl

Message 3/4             23-Nov-99  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: Attention ASR-X Pro Users...

idiolect

Link?:  No link

On a similar note...
I'm considering grabbing an ASR-X Pro around Christmas, and sent a letter to E-MU inquiring about their plans for the ASR-X. Here's what they said:

>Justin,
>4.0 is 2-3 months away.
>As always, warranty is one year parts >and labor against manufacturer's >defects.
>
>Technical support is continuing.
>
>Thanks
>EMU<>ENSONIQ TECHNICAL SUPPORT

I just want to make sure I don't get left out in the cold if I grab one... thought that might be of interest to y'all.

- justin

Message 4/4             25-Nov-99  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Attention ASR-X Pro Users...

jondl

Hey Justin!
That's great news if they stick to it. I pester E/E about once every six weeks and the reply you received is far more specific than any I've received. Sounds like it will follow the Winter 2000 NAMM show...at least I hope so! Next time I email them we'll see if I get the same reply you did ;-)

jondl

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)