aaa Why sell Asr-X/Asr-10? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Why sell Asr-X/Asr-10?

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             21-Oct-99  @  01:12 AM   -   Why sell Asr-X/Asr-10?

digiphallus

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

heya. Okay, I'm a bit curious about something. Recently, I've been seeing alot of people selling their Asr-10's/ Asr-x blacks ,etc....and often, I've seen em go at very tempting prices. Now, I've gotten to play with a friend's 10, and I've read up on some of the capabilities of the X on X user sites...and I have to ask. Why are so many people selling these things? Compared to what I have, the possibilities these units offer is astonishing! Is there some sort of bug with alot of these units? Is it Ensoniq's bad construction rep catching up with it on another series again? Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Because, I'm really tempted to pick up an Asr model of some type and make it centrifugal to my skimpy setup.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             21-Oct-99  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Why sell Asr-X/Asr-10?

jondl

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

That's a real interesting question. Yes, sometime you can score a real good deal - especially on the 'black' ASR-X. ASR-10 prices flucuate depending on how many options they're loaded with but I think the reason they sell is that are so few keyboard based samplers! Samplers are predominantly a rack mount genre - don't ask me why?!

Yes, there were bugs in the early OS version of the ASR-X - anything pre-2.67 should be immediately upgraded!!! Like any 'all-in-one' box is has shortcoming but, I'm not going to reiterate all of them here. Check the ASR-X web sites and mailing list for details...

As far as the bad construction rep, well, that seems to be the case with FIZMO but not the ASR/TS series. They seem to have no more or no fewer problems than any other popular keyboard. Some ASR-X Pro units do have a problem with two 32 MB SIMMs (see other thread in this forum.)

As far as why people sell them off, I suspect this has to do with the widely held perception that 'newer is better'. I don't know about you but I've bought and sold way_too_much gear before I ever truely exploited it. I owned an Emax II for many years before I decided to part ways with it. I can honestly say I never took it as far as it could possibly go.

Look at the unrelenting popularity of the Roland TR/TB series. People dumped them left, right, and center when ROMplers were on the rise and digital keyboards were in vogue. Then, they were snatched up by the people who REALLY wanted to make music as they were available for cheap! Now, people realize that these 'old' analog synths had some value after all (and I'm not talking dollars here.)

I really, really would like to see EMU/ENSONIQ continue to support the ASR-X series (I'm an ASR-X Pro user if you didn't already know ;-) Better yet, take it to the next level - how about an ASR-Xcel?

I've recently exchanged email with a fellow who is selling his ASR-X Pro to buy back an ASR-10 rack mount because, basically, he is more comfortable with the ASR-10 user interface than the ASR-X. I don't see a problem with that. Another online acquaintance was going to sell his ASR-X Pro to pay off his new Triton - then had a change of heart. Now, I'm not saying it's the last sampler I'll ever own but it does have a lot to offer - in spite of its shortcomings (perceived and legitimate!)

regards,
jondl

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)