aaa Digital I/O on E-mu Samplers - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Digital I/O on E-mu Samplers

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             28-Jan-00  @  08:47 PM   -   Digital I/O on E-mu Samplers

jondl

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Does anybody know if the S/PDIF I/O on the new E-mu samplers - Ultra 5K and ESI-2K (or ESI4K for that matter) permits the internal routing of your samples through the internal effects processor to the digital I/O?

Or to rephrase the questions: Can you take the output of your multi-timbral programs on your E-mu, route through the effect to the S/PDIF output to the S/PDIF input of your computers sound card?

Can the Yammies (A3k, etc.) do this?

regards,
jondl

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             29-Jan-00  @  12:54 AM   -   RE: Digital I/O on E-mu Samplers

fvicente

Link?:  No link

Hi Jondl,

Yes, they can. It is basically like the analog output except digital. Note, that it is an XLR connection and not the regular rca type connector. This is because it serves not only as s/pdif but also as AES/EBU and AES/EBU must be a balanced connector.

There is a software switch in the OS that allows you to select between the 2 formats.

HTH
Fernando

p.s. - any sampler that has s/pdif output can be routed this way. Not all samplers support AES/EBU though.

Message 3/5             29-Jan-00  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: Digital I/O on E-mu Samplers

jondl

Thx Fernando. Guess I'll need to review the spec more closely next time I hit the E-mu site. I just assumed the the add-on output card included a typical RCA jack for S/PDIF. Sine my recenlty acquired Gina sound card has the same I wonder if it is possible to use an XLR to RCA type digital cable (does such a thing exist?) or should one use a convertor box in the middle of the signal line instead.

again, many thx!
jondl

Message 4/5             30-Jan-00  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Digital I/O on E-mu Samplers

fvicente

Hi Jondl,

I don't know if such a cable exists or not. I believe that there is something in the manual on how to build it. If not, I'm sure that E-mu provide this information. I've seen it somewhere but can't remember where. Building your own cable will cost you under $20 while buying a converter box just for this purpose will probably cost 3 times that. If you can build it yourself, it would be better.

AES/EBU and s/pdif is not the same protocol for sending digital information. However, in the operating system for the E-mu samplers (EOS sampelrs), you can switch this from AES/EBU to s/pdif and vice versa. The E-mu sampler is capable of sending out both streams of digital audio so I wouldn't worry about it being compatible with your Gina card.

HTH
Fernando

Message 5/5             30-Jan-00  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: Digital I/O on E-mu Samplers

jondl

Thx again Fernando...I'll get off my butt now and review the PDF's at the E-mu site again ;-)

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)