aaa Esi-2000 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Esi-2000

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             25-Feb-00  @  01:18 PM   -   Esi-2000

Ison

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I am waiting for this shiny new unit to arrive from Germany.
But i need some info.
Is this basically the same as the 4000 but with a different paintjob?
And if so is it at all possible to remove the floppy and install a Zip or even Jaz drive in its place?
The Esi-4000 turbo Zip obviously had this but was it just a different drive adding to the cost of the basic model or were there additional software drivers that the standard version did not have?
And Simms specifically low profile to allow effects card.
Where does one buy these if in UK?
And one last question:Can i find a suitable enclosure for say an internal Zip/Jaz and Cd player/Rewriter and hard drive?
This would enable all the storage devices to sit comfortably under the rack preferably on castors.
A pc enclosure is out of the question as they are way to bulky.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             25-Feb-00  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Frostbyte

Link?:  No link

Yes, it's the same and it has the same expantion possibilities. You can replace the floppy foe a zip, a Jaz or a Hard Drive. I don't think you need additional drivers. You assign scsi ID, mount drive in master/global/disk utilities and then format. If you want to get more info, download the PDF manual on emu.com, it serves for both Esi-4K and 2K.

Message 3/28             25-Feb-00  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

So would i be right in thinking that the existing floppy is a Scsi device?
And what exactly is the"Click of Death"and should i be concerned?
And what of system disks?
And And And...
Why did i pay £621 Sterling when some folks have seen them for $628 US?
Why did i not just buy the knocked down Esi-4000?
The nice lady at Emu UK who actually phoned me back with some details i suspect.

Message 4/28             25-Feb-00  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Fostbyte

I guess the floppy is scsi, but I could be wrong, I didn't take that in consideration, since it's the default drive on the unit. I think the "Click of death R-Tek is reffering to is bad scsi termination, but he should clear it up for us, since I wasn't sure what he meant either.

As for system disks, i don't see what you mean, OS ?

Regarding prices, well, just don't look at US prices, it's depressing. They have a much larger market so...

I didn't see any deals on the 4K, i guess not that much unit gets sold in my part of the world, because I would have got one. It would have fitted so nicely with the Nova I have in mind...

But then maybe it will coordinate nicely with the new Korg MS2000.

All those millenium product names are kind of sick tho', visiting the link banner at the bottom of the Home page of DT, I stumbled on the Millenium toilet, I mean How low can you go  

Message 5/28             25-Feb-00  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

I cant wait to open it up and see just what is in there.
What can be modified...
Products carrying the 2001 mark should be sought after though.
System disk would be a legacy of the few momments i spent with an Ensoniq EPS what seems like a lifetime ago.

Jaz drive inside would be even better.

Message 6/28             26-Feb-00  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

R-Tek

The "click of death" is supposed 2 have been sourced 2 some quality control probs at the factory which they reckon r now fixed (but they would say that wouldn`t they?) on the zip100 drives. The factory floppy aint scsi, I think its IDE but I`m not sure, emus don`t have great floppy operation speed. And LOL, u wont need 2 load the OS everytime u boot - Mother E-Mu looks after her children, but u will need the floppy 2 load up any OS updates so u might have 2 arse about a bit there if u put an internal Jaz/Zip in. I don`t think you`ll b able 2 fit more than one internal drive in there I`m afraid.

Message 7/28             28-Feb-00  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

I found the unofficial click of death page...what a laugh.
My next problem is memory.
I find a source of 72 pin edo simms at 64 mb in the form of CUBE their tech dept inform me that this device measures one and one sixteenth inches tall so that it is within Emu's guidlines for low profile simms.
But CUBE then goes on to explain that since this particular form of memory has a refresh rate of 4k it may or may not be compatible with my sampler.
Emu are a little vague on this matter.
So any ideas?

Message 8/28             08-Mar-00  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

Just in case anyone is even remotely interested.
Direct from Emu's Tech Support.
But 100mb Scsi Zip's seem to be now discontinued.

REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTALLATION OF INTERNAL ZIP DRIVE IN THE ESI SAMPLER:

You will need a standard SCSI internal Iomega Zip 100 drive. Iomega will supply
specifications for configuring the Zip drive (SCSI id). Iomega SCSI Zip 100
drives can be purchased from computer supply stores.

You will also need two replacement cables...
AC419 SCSI harness.
AC420 Power harness.

Emu Parts can be purchased direct:
Emu USA- 831-438-1921 ext 1164
Emu Europe- 44-131-653-6556

... Replace the two cables (data and power) and remove the three resistor packs
located directly in line and next to the internal 50 pin SCSI socket. These
resistors are 3/4" (2 centemeters) long. They fit in small sockets next to the
50 pin socket.

Message 9/28             10-Mar-00  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

hajee

Wil i be avle then to read the zip disk in my pc internal zip drive as well? So i could edit stuff etc? For instance sample and aedit some wavs on the pc and then load em in from the esi's drive.. or even better pacthes? I just love the spoundforges handles sample editting, i really like the graphical way of doing this kinda stuff..

Message 10/28             11-Mar-00  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

ivan

I guess you won't be able to read the zip in the PC, since Emu uses their own format for HDs and floppys (and so it seems unlikely to use the windows filesystem for just the zip).

There's a program called Translator that can do this I think. Otherwise you can just transfer the samples with SCSI or MIDI.

Message 11/28             11-Mar-00  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

Is it at all possible to copy the operating system from esi-2000 an dpaste it into my newly aquired previously owned Esi-32?
And if so how?
Is this model supported anymore?
It seems to have OS 3.00.
Thanks.

Message 12/28             11-Mar-00  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

R-Tek

nope. OS 3 was the upgrade 4 it though with all the extra filters, so you`re an even jammier bugger than I thought.

Message 13/28             11-Mar-00  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

But Emu are selling (still) an OS 3.02 for this sampler (ESI-32)?
And it would seem it also has Scsi port which was non standard at the time of its creation.
R-Tek you will have to get up earlier to beat me to the bargains!

Message 14/28             11-Mar-00  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

R-Tek

well bollocks, at least I`m not from Dunstable - I`m from suave and sophisticated Luton (fnar fnar). Just out of curiosity, where did u geddit? Same place u got TWO MC202s for 150 notes? (dont suppose u wanna sell me one?) Anyways, I`m almost certain the esi2k OS wont work cos then people could just DL the upgrades for the 4k or 2k straight from emu without having 2 pay whatever it is they`re charging 4 3.02.

Message 15/28             11-Mar-00  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

Yep both Mc 202 came from the same place as my lovely Esi-32.
But they have been modified for large blue Led and black bezels.
In fact they can now illuminate a darkened room with the sequencer running and the lfo light flashing in and out.
But i have had several embarassing buys such as the Yamaha Dx-27 at £129 and some Godawful drum machine by yamaha termed the RY-10 at £69.
They have an old VOX valve bass head at the moment but with slightly torn front fabric and buckled knobs.
But the valves look intact and it smells really old.
These things in good condition sell for a packet but it seemed beyond my abilities to restore.
They had an Elka X10 in a while ago looking like a stripped down version of the X-705 but i could find little about it and it went.

Should i reveal my sources to R-Tek?

Message 16/28             11-Mar-00  @  12:08 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

R-Tek

C`mon, u know u wanna...ok, maybe not then. My DX21 cost me £35 though from a carboot sale, but I`m gonna sell it 4 a TX81Z. So u don`t wanna sell me a MC202 then? You`ve got TWO ya greedy bugger.....Ahhhhhhh go on, u said they were shit b4.......I`ll give u a tenner and a pack of woodbines.

Message 17/28             11-Mar-00  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

No i have a better idea.
You be Digital and i be Analogue.
I have grown to like my Doorstops.
Besides i can use them now in conjunction with my Esi.
Mono out of each into stereo in of sampler.
But can i tape sync them to a sampled tape sync pattern?
Hmmm.

Message 18/28             11-Mar-00  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

R-Tek

Arse 2 digital, thats what I say. I`ve only got one digital synth..........mind u, I`ve only got 3 synths....and the alphajuno has DCOs so......ah well bollox, I`m gonna get a Q towards the end of the year anyway. And when I do geddit, I`m gonna send it round your gaff 2 kneecap your single-osc 202s.

Message 19/28             11-Mar-00  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

Then i have until the end of the year to bolt arms and legs on my Doepfer modular and send it round on a premptive surgical strike.
You get the Q (VA/Digital) whilst i aquire Bobs new synth and also TBS's Mephisto.
Grist for my samplers mill.

Message 20/28             11-Mar-00  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

R-Tek

Doepfer modular? Well buggery, thasall I can say really........poor little Q, been thinking maybe an MKS80 would b more "me" actually...I dunno. Anyway, my samplers could definately have your samplers mate. And ummm....my dads harder than your dad.....possibly.

Message 21/28             11-Mar-00  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

R-Tek

well fuck me if the MKS80 isn`t only 1 part - bollox 2 that, Q (rack) it is then.

Message 22/28             13-Mar-00  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

vctribe

just so you guys know, the esi series cannot load its OS from floppy like the EOS seies can, it has no flash ROM for the OS. with the esi series you must physically replace the ROM with a new one from EMU that you paid $99 for. i do believe that the ROM chips are compatible across the esi series (32, 4000, 2000).

Message 23/28             13-Mar-00  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

That is good news VCTRIBE.
I was a little concerned that i would be importing a floppy which customs would probably X-Ray and destroy.

Message 24/28             14-Mar-00  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

forcemajuere

i have an esi-32 which i have had for 2 years now.when i bought it the the os was 2.0.1. i had a problem backing up to my zip. i called emu and the sent me 3.0.2 FREE. it was 2 small ROM chips. it was VERY EASY to install these.Is it possible to install 4.0 in to an esi-32?

Message 25/28             14-Mar-00  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

forcemajuere

i have an esi-32 which i have had for 2 years now.when i bought it the the os was 2.0.1. i had a problem backing up to my zip. i called emu and the sent me 3.0.2 FREE. it was 2 small ROM chips. it was VERY EASY to install these.Is it possible to install 4.0 in to an esi-32?

Message 26/28             14-Mar-00  @  07:53 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

Force Majuere,
Owning an Esi-32 i have a question for you:
I notice that the headphone output does not allow monitor through either in the setup or during sampling i have this function switched on and the main outputs output alright so is it normal not to output at the headphones during this proceedure?
Which Emu HQ did you phone for Free 3.2?

Message 27/28             27-Mar-00  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: Esi-2000

krud

Link?: Link

hey i've got the esi-2000 and i built an external HD with a quantum xp34550 fitted in an enclosure. only some drives are compatible and i think that one may be the largest (4.3G) i bought 64M of hitachi memory and it only recognized it as 16M. i would recommend only buying memory from the place that they recommend on the emu website. and check the drive compatibility list too. the floppy is scsi and i'll bet you could hook up a jaz drive, but i'm not sure about the cabling on those. i have a couple extra OS ROM's (i think it's 3.02) that were in my esi-2000 when i bought it about a month ago, but i got the turbo upgrade with new roms which i'm not sure i even needed, but i'm not using em and they're new. oh and yes you can use your pc's zip drive you just need to put the esi file system on the zip disk that you want to use for esi storage. you don't actually format them though. you go to the format function and then press 8 or something- check the manual it's in there somewhere.

Message 28/28             27-Mar-00  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Esi-2000

Ison

Well my HD is a 6.4 Gb Quantum.
But i ordered this along with memory from Syntec.
The only problem was the Harddrive/Cdrom/Zip drive unit arrived geared up for 115Volts.
I assumed this was simply an automatic switching power supply.
So i plugged it in was briefly reassured by the sound of the Hard Drive whirring.
But then the big blue flash from the rear(never a good sign)gave me other ideas.
Upon opening and removing the power supply unit i find the Voltage selector switch on the side of the psu next to the inside of the units chassis.
Completely invisible with normal use.
Of course the fuse had blown in th Psu but it just happened to be completely innacessable.
But i fixed it up in the end.
Memory worked first time without problems.

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)