aaa yamaha vs emu ? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: yamaha vs emu ?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             10-Mar-00  @  02:51 AM   -   yamaha vs emu ?

alias117

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

im fairly new to the sampler...own an mpc2000 and feel the need for a sampler to mangle and twist breaks, etc...i think i've narrowed it down to an emu ultra or a yamaha a3000, a4000...what should i get? how about an older emu e6400 (non-ultra)? any input will be greatly appreciate...thanx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             10-Mar-00  @  05:37 AM   -   RE: yamaha vs emu ?

R-Tek

I can`t say 4 any of the Yams, cos I aint been near them. But I`m running an MPCxl and an Emu 6400 Ultra and I gotta say, its a force 2 b reckoned with. The emu cant touch the akai 4 beats, but the bass is laarrrrge my friend and it colours the sound in a positive way. The sample editing options r extensive 2 say the least and theres very little u cant do on it. And of course, emu filters r something else - you`ll piss yourself laughing at the gutless akai 2 pole with squeeky rez after hearing the emu efforts. One thing though regarding editing your drumsound on emu and then passing them over 2 the akai - u have 2 "listen through" the emu sound, it no way near as punchy or hard so sometimes when u mangle up a snare or whatever and think you`ve done a good job, when u pass it over 2 the MPC, you`ll realise you`ve overcooked it bigtime and`ll have 2 start again. Don`t let that put u off though, emus sound a lot warmer and fatter and even though I aint ever heard a Yammy, they`d have 2 b quite a piece 2 beat the emus in the synth-sampler stakes.

Message 3/7             10-Mar-00  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: yamaha vs emu ?

fvicente

Also, don't forget E-mu's Beat-Munging for mangling beats and loops. This is only available on the Ultras and not on the older non-ultra models. If price is bothering you a little, you can save a little money and buy an E5000 Ultra instead. It has all of the higher Ultra features except that it is limited to 64 note polyphony (ie you can't get the polyphony expansion for it to give you 128 note polyphony) and it comes with only 4 outputs.

It accepts all of the other options of the other Ultras though and will be compatible with the new RFX-32 chip which should be available around June or July this year. With that chip, you'll get 15 fx busses and tons of fx. It looks quite powerful. EOS 4.5 will be available at that time and will incorporate Beat Munging 2.0. While I don't know what new features will come in BM 2.0, it also will only be available on the Ultras.

I agree with R-Tek, that you can't go wrong with the E-mu's. They are quite powerful and have a lot of options available to them. They also have a larger sample CD Library (although the Yams can load Akai samples - but then, so can the E-mu).

HTH
Fernando

Message 4/7             11-Mar-00  @  09:32 AM   -   RE: yamaha vs emu ?

R-Tek

that RFX thing looks awesome - UK Price of £650 though!!!!!!! Mind u, FIFTEEN EFX BUSSES!!!!!! Didn`t know about Beatmunget 2 though - thanks Fernando, I`m a getting excited already.

I can`t bigup emu enuff - they make excellent kit, real musicians pieces and they look after their customers in fine style.

Message 5/7             11-Mar-00  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: yamaha vs emu ?

alias117

thanx much for the info...i really appreciate it....how are the bone stock efx, what about compression...to R-Rtek; how would you rank the interface (as compared to your mpc)...how about proccessing/loading speed

Message 6/7             12-Mar-00  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: yamaha vs emu ?

R-Tek

interface is superb - not as straightforward as the MPC, but u HAVTA bear in mind that this is an awesomely powerfull beast an so therfore its gonna b more complex. That said, all u really need 2 do is learn the relationship between samples, groups and preset and then you`ll know enuff 2 get busy - emu have obviously put a lot of thought into their OS and it shows, u only have 2 delve as deep as u want.

The fx, I havta say r poor really, but u get internal and external resampling so u can run a sample through an external efx box and resample it back into the emu thus freeing up your efx busses and compressors (very bloody usefull). The compressor is ok, just b gentle with it and don`t expect 2 get anything like that trademark hip hop crunch out of it. Processing speed - very fast 4 all but the most complex tasks (and even those don`t take all that long). Loading speed from zip is extremely fast indeed (don`t even think about comparing a Yam 2 the emu in that dept.) - mine loads up 32meg in less than 10 secs.I`ve never connected my zip up 2 my MPC, so I cant say how that compares though floppy access is quite some way quicker on the akai.

Message 7/7             12-Mar-00  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: yamaha vs emu ?

alias117

your input has been greatly appreciated...who knows where i can get an e5000 for the least? i can't wait to get my mitts on one...

i wish (and hate) having to ask this question...thanx travis

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)