aaa I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             13-Jul-00  @  10:41 PM   -   I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

justinlofling

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

After a few setbacks I was finally able to get a sampler and ended up with a B stock ESI4000 turbo. The thing is badass, but one thing sort of bugs me. When I go into the sample setup (under sample management) I select the "Monitor through while sampling" but I can't hear the sample before is sampled. Isn't that the point of monitor through while sampling? I can record the sample and play it back, but thats all. I'm using headphones but that is the same as the main outs. I'm also recording via S/PDIF, but I don't think that would matter. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Justin

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             17-Jul-00  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

r-tek

maybe its different with digital, I dunno. Maybe if you record into the digital in, then it`ll only monitor through the digital out? sorry I cant help anymore bro.

Message 3/8             17-Jul-00  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

siva

Link?:  Link

Worth a try, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Justin

Message 4/8             18-Jul-00  @  06:25 AM   -   RE: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

Ison

Aha you have stumbled across the Achilles heel of the Esi range.
Within the innards of this Sampler is a little connector and a lead.
One end of which terminates at the headphone board and the other can be plugged into one of two places.
The first is a duplicate of the main outputs situated on the main board.
The second is a duplicate of the Effected outputssituated naturally enough on the effects board.
I would hazzard a guess that it is currently in the Effected position.
Which does not allow you to hear during sampling.
If you change the position to the main board you should be able to here while sampling.
But you will not be able to hear via the headphone socket the effected output.
I think this information is correct as i remember fiddling with mine a few months ago to find out the problem.
Possibly your best bet for headphone monitoring is to aquire a patch bay and a Headphone amp into which all the outputs are fed.
But i surpose one could even hardwire a switch onto the front panel to select from which source you will be monitoring.
Sadly there is no software function fo this.

I asked Emu and found that this is indeed normal.

Message 5/8             20-Jul-00  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

siva

Well damn! THat sucks. Well, I'll be gettinga SCSI drive tomorrow (hopefully) so this wont be so much of a problem. Any suggestions on SCSI drives? I've heard bad things about Adaptec, but don't know of any other brands around here. Also, do I need a scsi drive or an ultra scsi? Ison, thanks for the reply.

Justin

Message 6/8             20-Jul-00  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

Ison

Determining what sort of Hardrive i would need for my Two ESI (2000/32)drove me half mad until i contacted Syntec for a solution.
In fact when Thomann ship me my 24U rack i will rack it all up properly with the ESI's the Syntec storage a patch bay and even my little MAM SLM8/2 line mixer with headphone output.
Strangely whilst the ESI allegedly suports only 4 GB hard drives i have mine connected to a 6GB drive.
But i have not used this gear extensively so i dont know if this configuration is actually workable.
In fact it has only really been unpacked and put aside for later.
And already i look at the interesting developments in sampler technology that Roland are putting forth.
If you like i can open up my Syntec storage system and try and find some product ID for the drive i had supplied as being compatible.

Message 7/8             21-Jul-00  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

siva

I'm sorry, I meant SCSI controllers. Anyway, I think I'm going for the Adaptec 2940 Ultra. EMU tech support recommend that card with v1.3 drivers. Its a pretty expensive card but some guy on ebay is selling a bunch of them cheap. Thanks for all of the information.

Justin

Message 8/8             21-Jul-00  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: I finally got one, ESI4000 smapler question

mr filter expert

Link?: Link

zip disks are excellent no probs i no they are only 100 megs and new ones 250 but they are reliable & removable and cheap to backup just make doubles of all your stuff, none of that send off you whole hard drive if it crashes.
any way glad you got an esi 4000 had one 18 months and for an entry level machine its excellent, those filters once you learn what can really be acheived are true sound shaping devices and people say the fx are not good, ithink they are basic but very usable the key is to only process one or two sounds with well chosen fx, not to run every sound through,the reverb cavern is a massive reverb just right to space out lush pads.
god ive gone on a bit there but hey enjoy and sit up to 3am tweeking sounds
ps emu themselves are selling the 4000 range of cd roms well worth a look i got protozoa which contains all the samples from proteus 1,2,3,vintage keys,vintage keys plus,planet phatt,orbit i know they are old ,but as start points to your own sounds and one of the best set of drum kits (orbit/phatt)its good value one cd rom is about £60.00 and emu also throw in 3 of there library disks which are also superb.
phew
bye bye

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)