aaa E6400 and EOS-Link - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: E6400 and EOS-Link

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             06-Aug-00  @  10:01 AM   -   E6400 and EOS-Link

fourply69

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've just managed to find myself a second hand E6400 and want to know about this program called EOS-Link. I've tried to get information about it off the Emu site but its a bit shit to be honest.

It says that it can control all the parameters of the E6400 but I want to know if it can be used as a librarian so I can keep all my presets and multis stored on my computer and not have to use a drive in the sampler itself. I just dont want to use the floppy and i'd like to avoid putting a HD in it if I can.

Also, I'm on EOS 3 at the moment. Think its worth paying to go to EOS 4.1?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             06-Aug-00  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: E6400 and EOS-Link

r-tek

Link?: Link

its definately worth upgrading to 0s 4 mate tho you may need to pay out even more for some reason I cant remember - its all at the link above. All OSs from then on will be free so you`ll get the soon to be released OS4.5 which features the mysterious beatmunger 2. EOSlink is a bit shit to be honest, maybe it was my cheap scsi card but I didnt really get on all that well with it - I`m not sure if you can use the puter for storage tho.

Message 3/8             07-Aug-00  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: E6400 and EOS-Link

fourply69

Someone told me that its possible to use an IDE internal HD rather than a SCSI drive. Know anything about that? Also, what do you recon about using an external zip drive? I could then store everything on zip and occasionally back up to the computer. A freind of mine has some software that will generate a disk image but im not sure if it will work with a zip drive.

Message 4/8             10-Aug-00  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: E6400 and EOS-Link

yams

I have and IDE hard drive in mine. Too bad I'm gonna sell it though... Getting another pc instead/

Message 5/8             10-Aug-00  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: E6400 and EOS-Link

robocop

EOSLink isn't much use - it just gives you the front panel of the Emulator on your PC monitor, and let's you use the 'puter's keyboard and mouse - there's no access to disks local to the PC. But I suppose it could be useful if your Emulator is the other side of the room.

As for hard drives, there's a list of compatible IDE drives on E-mu's site, but it was last updated twelve months ago last time I looked and all the drives are probably discontinued. Seagate Barracudas (try model ST310220A, 10.2GB) and Quantum Fireballs (15GB) seem to work OK. External Zip 250s (and probably 100s) work if SCSI, as do (so I'm told) Jaz drives.

BUT: I don't know if this is only relevant to the Ultra series (Emulator IV) - I know you can 'ultracise' some of the older Emulators (at a price), but you can't make them completely EIV (for example, the Beat Munger won't work).

Message 6/8             11-Aug-00  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: E6400 and EOS-Link

fvicente

Hi,

No, that's not true. If you 'Ultracize' your E6400, you have access to all of the features of the regular Ultras including Beat-Munging. There are some models which can not be Ultracized, only have their cpu ram upgraded to support EOS 4. I believe that models that cannot be Ultracized are the e-64, the very original first EIV and the E4K.

In terms of Ultracizing, it is expensive (I think it is about $1000 US or so) but you get a faster interface, support for Beat Munging as well as better midi timing. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

In regards to EOS Link, don't waste your time. It really doesn't give you what you're looking for. I don't think that any software will give you what you're looking for. E-mu's file system is completely proprietary so, at best, you can store samples by doing SMDI dumps. That won't store presets though. There are a few pieces of Mac software but I don't know if they'll allow you to do what you want exactly.

Considering that you can load up 128 MB of RAM in it, a Zip would be too slow for this. You'd be better off to get a big internal hard drive. IDE works fine but you will not be able to use your computer to make backups since you won't have access to the IDE bus inside the sampler. If you have a Jaz drive or something similar it may be okay because then you can transfer the samples that you want to back up from the IDE drive into the Jaz drive.

HTH
fvicente

Message 7/8             29-Aug-00  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: E6400 and EOS-Link

phunkytek

I use a 540mb drive that came in mine. It was the demo unit at guitar center. I downloaded a dos cd burner software that lets you make a disc image copy from any scsi device to a scsi cdr. So the size of the drive is great because it fits on a cd when it is full. I simply copy the internal drive in the e-6400 to a blank cd in the internal scsi cdr of my pc.

Message 8/8             30-Aug-00  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: E6400 and EOS-Link

chris

Link?: Link

"Someone told me that its possible to use an IDE internal HD rather than a SCSI drive. Know anything about that? Also, what do you recon about using an external zip drive? I could then store everything on zip and occasionally back up to the computer. A freind of mine has some software that will generate a disk image but im not sure if it will work with a zip drive."

Trouble with using Zip is that the format of the zip disk is un-readable from PC, so even if the Zip drive is on the same SCSI link, you're a bit knackered.

I use a 250MB zip and an 8mb IDE hard drive. The Zip is pretty fast, not too much slower than my hard drive.

Backing up to Zip is a case of loading a bank into the sampler and re-saving it out to Zip.

Anyone have any easier ways of doing this kind of stuff? Especially ways of reading Emu format drives using a PC...

Anyone come across any useful utilities which do this kind of stuff?

BTW - looking forward to RFX32, I reckon my sampler will get used more than it is at the minute...

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)