aaa Beat Munger 2 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Beat Munger 2

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             22-Aug-00  @  05:38 AM   -   Beat Munger 2

a.storey

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

Will beat munger 2 be available with a simple os upgrade? I'm sure I read somewhere that a processor / hardware upgrade was required in order to use the new features....please, somebody tell me I'm wrong!

Cheers,
Alex.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             23-Aug-00  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

fvicente

Hi Alex,

BM-2 is not available yet. From the initial press releases from E-mu, it appears that it will go hand in hand with a hardware upgrade but I'm not positive. Best thing is to wait and see. On paper, that hardware upgrade (RFX-32 chip) looks really impressive. While it would be nice to simply load in the new OS and have access to it, the RFX-32 card looks quite powerful. Let's hope that it turns out to be that way for real.

Fernando

Message 3/18             24-Aug-00  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

phunkytek

I'm on os 3 on an e-6400, but don't you need to have an ultra to use the beat munging in the new os. The upgrade is $1200 and has to be done by E-mu. I only paid $1300 new for the unit a year ago with a hard drive full of sounds and the fx card. They say the upgrade on the new board and chip actualy ups the unit to e4xt status. Is it worth that kind of cash. I had planed on getting a sp-808 for live and remix aps and it already does beat matching and loop editing as well as realtime pitch changes and fx. I think i'll jusrt buy that and get the e-mu uped to os 4. That only costs $99.

Message 4/18             24-Aug-00  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

fvicente

Hi phunkytek,

You are right. You need to have an Ultra model to take advantage of Beat Munging. I don't know if BM2 will only require the RFX card or not. If you're able to pick up a SP-808 and it does what you need for $99, then that may be okay for you.

The Upgrade to 'Ultracize' your e6400 gets it roughly to the same specs as an E4XT but, keep in mind that you're not getting the options included that you do by buying the E4XT. You don't get the internal hard drive, you digital board, etc. Those would still be options. However, you will be getting a faster sampler (they replace the motherboard I think) which has better midi timing and the beat munging capability.

Beat munging is not just beat matching though. You can actually change the feel of a beat with BM. You can take a straight 4 on the 4 floor beat and give it a swing feel to it and a variety of other things. It also becomes a sort of sound creation tool as you are able to manipulate and "munge" different sounds to create your own.

You may want to wait until the RFX card comes out. Maybe you'll be able to upgrade to BM2 for a lower price than 'Ultracizing' your e6400 now and then, still upgrading to the RFX chip.

HTH,
Fernando

p.s. - of course, for $99 even if you get the SP-808 now, it won't hurt the pocket book that much.

Message 5/18             28-Aug-00  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

phunkytek

I never said I could get the sp-808 for $99. That is what the upgrade to os4 costs from os3 because the internal system ram has to be upgraded. In order to take advantage of recycle i need to go ahead and get on os4, whick has better midi timing and scsi bugs fixed. I might just sell it and get an ultra. What is the RFX chip?

Message 6/18             30-Aug-00  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

fvicente

Hi phunkytek,

Sorry, I guess I read it too quickly. I thought it was strange for an sp-808 to go for that cheap (although I haven't followed them so I don't even know what the street price is).

Yes, there is better midi timing on OS4 and, especially, on an Ultra, mostly due to its faster processor. It is an excellent machine (I own an E5000 Ultra).

The RFX chip is a new fx chip that Emu is coming out with soon (it's supposed to be this fall sometime). It will have the capability of having something like 15 or 16 fx running simultaneously with a bunch of fx busses. It looks like it will be really cool but we'll have to wait and see.

There's more info at E-mu's website (I think in the What's new section) and at the Emulator archive site (www.emulatorarchive.com).

HTH,
Fernando

Message 7/18             31-Aug-00  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

influx

Link?:  Link

I LOVE my E4, but I think Emu is LAME for doin it like that.

the FX that are available now SUCK, the routing SUCKS (what if I want a mono sound to have say flange, on sub 1 left? nope, cant do it. WACK) and I suspect that the new chip will be SOSO

man..$600? right?

go get some outboard FX for that much money!!!!

but, yes, you must have an ultra to use the beatmunger dealy bob. Might as well just use recycle...

Message 8/18             06-Sep-00  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

cdin

The fx in the E4 are the standard fare you get in samplers. My Akai S2800 had the same stupid routing limitations. I agree with the outboard fx solution, but a lot of people, myself included, want a more portable solution. I've got 32 rack spaces, 4 spaces for outboard fx, and I'd love to squash it down to half the size.

Message 9/18             08-Sep-00  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

chris

Link?: Link

Just the ability to run midi-synchable delays on individual channels makes the RFX worth it for me.

Someone told me that the RFX will come with extra outputs on-board (24 bit) - don't know yet if that's the case or not.

I also heard that the delay (inevitably) in RFX32 is down to software/firmware problems.

Message 10/18             08-Sep-00  @  06:07 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

r-tek

I dont think we`ll be getting extra outs, but they have announced a new output thingy that can *only* be used if you have the rfx installed. Thanks emu.

Message 11/18             12-Sep-00  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

batcrack

where the hell do you keep hearing all this shit? product announcements, 'what emu says'... where can i read this for myself because i am at a loss here...

Message 12/18             13-Sep-00  @  10:28 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

fv

I am pretty sure that I got this from either the user group (at eGroups) or from the E-mu website. I couldn't find much info right now on it as I did a search. You may want to try searching the Egroups archive. The E-mu website doesn't have anything that I could find on the RFX card.

Anyway, what r-tek is talking about I believe is the 24-bit outputs. The RFX card will allow a full 24-bit output path right through to the outputs and even through the ADAT card. E-mu announced new i/o cards at the winter NAMM (2000). This will probably only cover the extra 8 outs, the DWAM digital i/o board and the ADAT card. I don't think that the main outs are 24-bit.

HTH,
fv

Message 13/18             16-Sep-00  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

r-tek

from the emulator archive.........

"Overview The RFX-32 card, containing the new E-mu Systems R-chips, is a multi-channel, multi-buss FX mixing system which will ship with EOS version 4.50. This will be a dramatic upgrade. The R-chip is E-mu's latest custom ASIC and will make its market debut as part of the RFX-32 card. The R-chip is E-MU's answer to a high quality/flexible FX engine. A new revision of the E-mu Systems filter chip (H1.6) will also add enormous mixing power to the card.

Preliminary Specifications The new FX Card has a 32 bit processor which provides 16 stereo simultaneous FX, 8 standard and 8 extended. This means you can have 8 different FAT Reverbs running at one time. E-mu Systems will be able to support various FX algorithms (actually lots, so send your requests to E-mu Systems !).

Many of the algorithms will be multi FX set-ups.This means you will have the possibility of more than 16 stereo FX at any one time. You will not be limited to the number of any one kind of effect you would like to use. For example: If you would like 16 stereo delays, all with different parameters, your in luck, RFX-32 can do it. The FX quality of the RFX-32 will completely blow away what is in your E4 now.

FX Algorithms The RFX-32 will ship with a whole set of new algorithms, not a copy of the old Ensoniq or E-mu Systems FX we have today. These are called G05 effects. There will be a 3 or 5 band EQ in the RFX-32 at first customer shipment. Compression is on the list of algorithms to do later. There is a open plug-in architecture which means additional plug ins will be provided free by E-mu Systems after first customer shipments. At some point depending on development cost, E-mu Systems or a third party may charge a fee for certain plug ins.

Development Kits E-mu Systems will subsequently launch a development kit for the RFX-32, so that third parties (maybe even Lexicon and TC ??!) can develop new FX plug-ins .

Mixing Busses There are 15 stereo mix busses. One will be used for Dry signals out the mains. Two will be used for Master global FX, and the rest (12), will be used any way you like. Each Voice will now have 4 sends with their own send amount. This means you can direct a single sample, lets say a kick drum, to 4 busses at one time. One note of polyphony results in a Kick drum going out of 4 outputs with various amounts and types of FX attached. This is huge! Insert your favourite sample in to this scenario and imagine the results. Having a send amount per voice also means, every sample now can have its own unique send amount to the global FX's. This is not limited to a per channel feature, but a per voice feature!"

If you ask me (and I know nobody is), its looks abso-fucking-lutely incredible - 15 busses dammit - even if you buy cheapo outboard efx, you aint getting anyting like that much power for the money. I am now *very* interested indeed. When it ocme sout I`m gonna go stright down turdkey and get me a demo. If I like what I hear, then I`m selling the 440 and an efx box and picking up the rfx and 8 output expander.

Message 14/18             17-Sep-00  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

phunkytek

HHow about midi control though. That is great that the voices will have thier own sends, but what about changeing the amount during playback with midi. You might only want a delay at a fill or break? I have a e-6400 I was thinking of ultrazizing. When the guy from e-mu, a year ago sent me an e-mail, he said it would up my e-6400 to an e4xt system specs. Does that also include the 128 voices? It would cost me $1100 for the upgrade plus any other extras I might get, more outs, and extra midi. Would i be better selling my e-6400 and buying a used e4 ultra, if I can find one. Nobody ever parts with thier emus! What does an e4xt ultra go for. $3500?

Message 15/18             18-Sep-00  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

r-tek

thats why I`m holding out from selling up untill I get to try it out first - now say we get 2 controllers per buss, and we can freak them in the cord screen - could be kinda interesting. They`re charging a premium price for it (even tho its actually a lot of go for the dough) so I *expect* to get standard efx facilities like the midi control, theres no way they`d screw up so bad and miss summing like that. The old e4 efx card was an emu only venture tho right? But this all-knew one has the collective talents of emu and ensoniq on the case, and ensoniq made the dp2 and 4.......and the asrs and eps, so the quality of efx could be very special indeedy. Guess we`ll still havta wait and see for sure tho.

Message 16/18             18-Sep-00  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

phunkytek

I think I would rather sell my e-6400 and get a new e4xt ultra than upgrade my old unit. My out lay is the same eitherway, and I'd rather have a brand new unit if it's going to cost me the same. I can upgrade to the ultra for $1100, and then get the extra midi port= $100, and then the 128 expansion =$549. , and I already have a HD. the new hard drive would be three times the size off the one I have now though. I should be able to get at least a $1000 for my e-6400 with the fx, 66mb, and HD in it. It's only a year and half old. I wonder If I should take out an ad or run it on e-bay?

Message 17/18             19-Sep-00  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

r-tek

ebay, I guess. You`ll ber almost certain of a sale and none of this bullshit bartering or "I`ll meet you at a motorway service station" that the wankers always try to pull on me whenever I try to sell something. One of the shops in the UK is now giving away FREE, either the extra 8 output card, or the 128 poly puppy with brandnew 6400 ultras so you must be able to swing something similar methinks. Kinda pisses me off tho cos I bought mine when it came out. Still worth every penny.

Message 18/18             19-Sep-00  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

phunkytek

i don't know. The longer we wait and the more they come out with new products, the less our e-6400 will be worth.In a few months I'll have the cash, and i'll probably go for the e4xt ultra, and sell my e-6400. When ever i sell gear here, I have the people meet me at Guitar Center, and they let me do the transaction in the proaudio room in privacy and you have access to power and headphones to demo the unit. I just tell them that i can't buy the new piece till I sell the old stuff, and they accomodate me. I also bring my e-mail bids on items from other dealers and they honor those prices. so you don't have to wait for it to be shipped to you. If you can sell the item at GC, and turn around and buy the other piece right there it adds convienance. They are pretty cool to do business with if you've built a repor.

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)