aaa In all honesty..... - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: In all honesty.....

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             09-Dec-00  @  09:02 PM   -   In all honesty.....

Si

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Bit of a dilema here. I'll soon be getting some more gear for myself, and I'm caught between a nicely expanded Emu or a high spec VA. Price isn't really an issue, but I'd like to be reasonable.

I've experience creating/editing both sampled and analog based sounds on my Ex-5 (don't laugh!), and I've found the AN side of it more enjoyable, and rewarding, to program. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to get an Emu sampler to sound like a VA synth?

The initial samples on the Ex are pretty shite, so getting something that sounds analog out of them is nigh on impossible, and there are too many crappy 'generic' samples, but if you had a good quality 'analog sounding' sample to manipulate from the beginning, could you get realistic VA results out of a sampler? I know they're completely different beasts, but I've found very little use for the sample based synthesis on the Ex, apart from the odd plucky lead or bass, and have resorted to writing mainly AN based sounds. Is it really a case of 'garbage in, garbage out'??

Hopefully I've explained that enough!

Cheers,

Si.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             09-Dec-00  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

Si

Link?: Link

Eh, sorry I just saw phunkytek's post earlier, which I had already responded in!

No need for an answer here  

Si.

Message 3/10             09-Dec-00  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

phunkytek

Link?:  No link

get a vst instrument and sample it into your e4 ultra with an rfx 32 card. I have made presets from the pro 5 demo that are fat. The e-mu filters are not as raw as i would like , but the rfx 32 will probably have filter plug-ins for it.

Message 4/10             09-Dec-00  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

phunkytek

I just made a 303 preset from sampleing rebirth and it sounds authentic to some degree, but lacks the filters to really pull it off, yet it definatly sounds analog. The 101 preset i made is spot on. I sampled the saw into group 1 and the square into group 2 and now you can mix between the two. for sub osc I copy all the midi data to a second track and run the preset with just the saw and I detune it a little and transpose it down an octave. You can emulate specific synths if you know there architecture. I've been running sampled analog through the filters on the Nova and mixing them into the fx and layering them on nova sounds. I would recomend having a synth to create fat samples with. Like 1 analog mono synth, and then having some realtime controler to tweak your sampler. But an old analog, like a juno 60, or an old pro one or something, and sample it at all of it's mod settings with filter open and the rez off. I make poly pads out of 101 notes. When i get the rfx these presets are going to really come alive. I think they sound great in the mix all comming out of the same sound source. It gives them all the same sonic footprint and makes mixing and live gigs easier. I saw Uberzone live, and all those fat sounds were coming out of his samplers. He must do the same thing ith all those old analogs. Some of it was loops in his samplers, but I think a lot was midi sequenced from presets he had made with all those analog toys he has.

Message 5/10             11-Dec-00  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

influx

Link?:  Link

yes. youre right;) sampled Six Track on "believe"

everything up to the freaks was written on a VERY limited setup (less than most of us have NOW...fucking NUTS)

mixed on a shitty ass seck 18:8:2. No DAW involved. all midi recorded to 2 track. the guy knows his shit Ill tell you

Message 6/10             11-Dec-00  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

phunkytek

his kit is perfect. He has all the fat analogs and mixes it and layers the hell out of his basses. He also does some weird compression to his drums and gets a lofi grit to his snares and hats. His sound production is flawless and timeless electro. I don't like all of the songs persay, but i love his synth programming. I remember when Botzs came out. i played that record out. Just some fat 303 grooves with a digitech talker "covert..." that song is still one of my favorate breaks.

Message 7/10             12-Dec-00  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

phunkytek

I have found a limitation. The resonance is not taking effect on the voice in realtime, rather when it is retriggererd. I've e-mailed e-mu. I'll post the responce.

Message 8/10             14-Dec-00  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

fv

This is a limitation that can not be changed unfortunately. Real-time resonance is not possible on the E-mu samplers. You can sort of fake it but it is not ideal. You fake it using cords and, depending on the attack of the sample and how quickly you can retrigger it (a sequencer will be easier) you can sort of achieve the desired result.

You need to make the following preset changes for it to work:

Amp Envelope Release 1 rate set to 0 (instant off)
Set two cords to the following settings:
Vel+ 'SStart +100%
ModWl 'FilRes +100%

In order to hear it properly, disable all other cords for now. There are cords settings that could potentially defeat the above purpose.

When you move the mod wheel you'll get the effect. Try it and see if it works at all for you.

HTH,
fv

Message 9/10             14-Dec-00  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

phunkytek

I am very disappointed. I was getting ready to buy an ultra. I might just wait. How can they call it an emulator if it can't emulate an analog. I gues they are designed to emulate all instruments. The filters sound fat and the tone of my presets sounds great, but i would love to recreate some sweeps that change with the res as well.

Message 10/10             15-Dec-00  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: In all honesty.....

fv

Well, the Ultras are great even if this isn't one of their strongest points. Maybe it is possible but I haven't heard that recreating sweeps in the way you want is possible. Maybe I'm wrong.

I tend to use either real analog or VA to achieve this kind of sound anyway.

fv

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)