aaa Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             11-Jan-01  @  02:44 PM   -   Balanced and Unbalanced sockets?

blackkeys

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can someone please help me out with a question I have?
What is the difference between Balanced and Unbalanced sockets?
Do you have to use different cords for different types of sockets. And in that case how and why?
I'd be really happy for an answer!
Thanks and cheers!
/John

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             12-Jan-01  @  05:45 AM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

influx

Link?:  Link

balanced can carry a hotter signal as I understand it, due to the ground wire which phase inverts any noise introduced. so you get a hotter, cleaner signal.

yes you need a different type of cable. a balanced one 

Message 3/15             12-Jan-01  @  07:12 AM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

phunkytek

A balance line makes an inverted signal "out of phase" ... of the source and sends them down the line on two seperate wires. At the end of the line, only the signals that match identicaly (or balance out +/-)on each wire are kept and the random noise picked up by the wire is ignored since it is diferant on each wire. Balanced are the way to go to keep low level line noise to a minimum. Line noise is not noticable until you have a few tracks recorded with low noise and the effect is a dull sounding mix. (Mix magazine)

Message 4/15             15-Jan-01  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

Def Z

Balanced cable is good, but only works if you have balanced inputs on either end. If I hook up a balanced cable from my XT to my mixer, it wouldn't do any good because only one end (the mixer end) is balanced. You need TRS cables - that's 1/4 inch T(ip) R(ing) S(leeve) to do it. Is XLR balanced? I think so - not entirely sure.

Message 5/15             16-Jan-01  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

blackkeys

Thank you very much guys for these answers.
You've learned me the difference. Now I just have to check if I have "Balanced" in both ends!
Thanks again....
/ John

Message 6/15             16-Jan-01  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

influx

well what pieces of gear are we talking?

and yes XLR are balanced

Message 7/15             17-Jan-01  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

phunkytek

I have all HOSA brand cables. What are they. they are the black with grey and orange tips you see for sale at GC. They are very noisy. I need new cables badly. Monster are way to expensive. This guy I met who runs a studio said to but the tips and buy a professional snake. Unravel the snake and make you own cables by soldering the tips on yourself. $5 a cable as opposed to the $29 for a monster. I am looking into this as low level line noise is a big issue with my cables now. I record every synth through the two monster cables I have. I switch it around when i am ready to record it. then it goes to the o1v and to my card via the spidf. This eliminates line noise, but I need to just wire the set up with quality cables and a gold plates patch bay.

Message 8/15             21-Jan-01  @  04:04 AM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

influx

hosa isnt that bad. tons of studios use it. the cables arent creating the noise.

you usin balanced where possible? got any interference anywhere?

Message 9/15             21-Jan-01  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

phunkytek

hosa makes good cables, but they are the pro-series blue ones. they are $30-$50 The orange and grey tipped cables are crap. My mixer is balanced. I am going to get some balanced cables for my sampler because the outs are bal.. but none of my synths have balanced outs, and they are making the noise. I guess the cable really is irrelavent if a synth is noisy.

Message 10/15             21-Jan-01  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

influx

yeah..

you could also get a balancing transformer. turns an unbalanced signal into a balanced.

We had some made by Inward Connections 2 of em 8 in/out each...

not using them actually...dunno if you might be interested in something like that but if you are lemme know cuz these are up for grabs.

Message 11/15             23-Jan-01  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

Defector Z

Nobody makes cables, too. I haven't hooked it up yet to try it, but if looks mean anything, it's pretty solid. It's red too. :-)

Message 12/15             05-Feb-01  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

opus

nobody make real nice cables! mine is a kind of baby blue

Message 13/15             09-Feb-01  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

druma

hey while on the topic: got my xtra 8 analouge ins for the 01v (balanced I belevie) but the only balanced outs r from my xbase (3 outs) I guess I have to get balanced 1/4” cables? (the signal is low using standard cables) but that still leaves 5 balanced inputs (which I belevie can b used w unbalnced signals (?) but no matter what I plug into them I’m always getting a low signal and there is no gain level controle! What am a dude to do? …A) is there a i/o box/amp that converts unbalanced to balanced? B) can I somehow work it out?! or C) u should have thought about it before u bought it sucker!!
mucho gracias

Message 14/15             10-Feb-01  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

influx

no gain on the extra ins? yes there is! its not hardware tho..you gotta flip oh hell I guess not

yes there are converters. theyre called balancing transformers..or a DI box would do the same thing..

if youre interested in such a thing, I have two that Im selling for someone...both 8 in 8 out made by Inward Connections here in california. top notch stuff

Message 15/15             10-Feb-01  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Balanced and Unbalanced In/Out?

druma

Thanks man,... u gotta flip, u mean flip cannels to one of the 1-16 and use thre gain on that ?? dosn't make sence unless the o1v actually routs the signal throug the gain amp wich I thought was directly conected to each cannel!? if not the 8 in 8 out is exactly what I need:

please email spacelf@hotmail.com

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)