aaa ESi OS - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: ESi OS

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             30-Jan-01  @  02:39 PM   -   ESi OS

markmurison

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can anyone help me track down the latest OS for the ESi-32 in central London? I called EMU and was given another number to try - and the person who I spoke to was not really much help; she couldn't / wouldn't tell me who they'd supplied with the disks...any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mark

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             02-Feb-01  @  05:47 AM   -   RE: ESi OS

Fresh Pants

The ESI O.S. isn't on disk. It's in a ROM chip. The latest O.S. is 3.02. I got mine from E-MU last year.

FP

Message 3/14             02-Feb-01  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: ESi OS

markmurison

a chip, you say...did it drop straight in to an empty holder, or did you have to remove the existing chip?

Message 4/14             03-Feb-01  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: ESi OS

ivan

You have to replace the existing chip, which isn't that hard. You get the new OS if you buy the Turbo board BTW, but that's slightly more expensive if you just want the OS...

Message 5/14             06-Feb-01  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: ESi OS

markmurison

thanks, Ivan. I'm just after the OS. BTW, what's the cost ?

Message 6/14             07-Feb-01  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: ESi OS

Deano

I bought a chip from the EMU website last year. It came to nearly £100 with carriage and the exchange rate is not so good now. Pretty expensive for what you get. The new filters are ok but not really a great deal of use. Beware if you have a Syquest EZ135. I started having SCSI problems after installing the new OS. It may have been a coincidence. The EZ135 is not on EMU's list of approved drives but it always worked fine with the old OS and one of the features of the latest OS is "improved SCSI implementation". It works ok with a ZIP 250 though.

Message 7/14             07-Feb-01  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: ESi OS

markmurison

Thanks, Deano; I've got a Zip 100, so maybe I'll be okay.

Message 8/14             07-Feb-01  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: ESi OS

Ison

If you intend to buy the FX card you get the latest OS chips for free.
I found the chips a bugger to remove even breaking slightly the flimsy plastic spacer underneath.
But all was well.
I found it impossible to order the chips on their own at a reasonable price so the FX card gamble paid off.

Message 9/14             08-Feb-01  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: ESi OS

influx

Link?:  Link

jeez...OS upgrade was supposed to be a measly $99?!?!

Message 10/14             08-Feb-01  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: ESi OS

markmurison

Hi, Ison, are you based in the UK? I don't really want to spend £300 on the turbo board; I'd rather put that towards a nova or a Micro Q rack...are you saying I may have to pay almost as much as the turbo board just for the chips? But I'm really interested to hear these 'new' filters...Deano says they're OK...I was hoping they'd be really useable. What is your opinion?

Message 11/14             13-Feb-01  @  06:13 AM   -   RE: ESi OS

influx

Link?:  Link

I think the filters are pretty damn good.

I had a 4000...same filters...and you could do some nice stuff wit em

Message 12/14             17-Feb-01  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: ESi OS

Ison

Perhaps it is better to phone Emu in the UK and deal with them direct.
I seem to recollect someone stateside had them shipped to him for free from Emu USA.
Perhaps a sob story how you bought the unit in good faith second hand on E-bay or something and when it arrived it had the old OS?
Some manufacturers do help out in a crisis,perhaps even if it was not genuine?
Good luck anyhow.
Thomann and TBS in germany could not get hold of these "Little parts"for me and i did not feel like going to Turnkey at the time so i took a gamble that the effects card i was thinking of ordering would actually have the OS update also,as it happened it did so my Esi-32 got the chips and my already 3.2 Esi-2000 got the FX card.
Remember though if you want anything for free from the manufacturer you have to hint that more purchases of their products will be made if they can help you out.

Message 13/14             19-Feb-01  @  04:54 AM   -   RE: ESi OS

ivan

I actually managed to find my rom chip s/h from someone that had expanded his esi with the new OS before buying the turbo card - keep an eye out for ads for that, might get lucky.

And definitely get the new OS - the filters alone are worth it. The OS2 lowpass is ok, but not nearly as useful for sound sculpting as all the nice types of OS3. The formant ones are great for pads for instance, and the phaser ones can be used for some nice fx. The other upgrades in the OS are ok, but maybe not as exciting, mostly minor stuff.

What I can't understand is why Emu doesn't put all the filter types of say the XL1 in their E4 samplers? 50 filter types vs 21 - something is missing?

Message 14/14             22-Feb-01  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: ESi OS

coreback

I bought the OS upgrade from musiciansgear - about £80 I think. This isn't my currency...

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)