aaa Fz-1 VS. Sci Prophet3000 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Fz-1 VS. Sci Prophet3000

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             16-Aug-99  @  11:06 PM   -   Fz-1 VS. Sci Prophet3000

menshevick

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Alright, I am selling my akai s-2000 so that I may buy a sampler that doesn't sound like a piece of cardboard. I would like something that has character, something that makes interesting sounds, but can also replace my s-2000 as a main sampler (polyphony and memory).
I can get enough money from selling the piece to buy either an Fz-1 or a prophet-3000 (which one of my friends is willing to cut me a deal with). My main concern is that I have an emax, so that all of the synthesis functions on the Fz-1 are redundant to those on the Emax. On the other hand I've heard much talk about the pro-3000 being one of the best sounding samplers concieved but lacks any synthesis options. I believe both have 8 note poly (not as much as I need, but I can survive), and both are expandable up to 4 megs ram. Both have 8 outputs.
so....
Does the Fz-1 sound just like an Emax with digital filters and more memory?
>Would it be redundant to have the Fz-1 with the emax?
Is the sequencer useable? (Does it have a step sequence mode)
Would YOU choose an Fz-1 or a Sci Pro-3000???

Thank you
Robin

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             19-Aug-99  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: Fz-1 VS. Sci Prophet3000

foxglove9

I read you post about whether to get an FZ-1 or Prophet. I have no experience with the later, but I've owned the Casio Fz-1 for about 8 years now. First off, it does not have a sequencer. For me that's no big deal. It can only be upgraded to 2 megs RAM. There is a High density floppy drive but no SCSI port. It also has 8 outputs and one mixed output as well as headphone jack and a few other jacks I never use   When I originally bought the casio it was a tossup between the Emax 1 and the Casio. I was drawn to the FZ because of it's price(at the time was much cheaper) and I thought the sound quality was a bit better(16 vs 12 bit?). It samples at 3 levels (9,18,or 36 MHz)

The casio is a cool machine. I guess it's sound is kind of unique. It has this cold raw sound to it, hard to explain but when you hear a sample in a song you can usually tell it's from a fz-1. I don't know how different it sounds from the emax though. When I tested both out I didn't notice a huge difference. The casio sounds grittier on lower notes, but screams on higher notes. The Emax seemed to have a balanced sound to it. Maybe it was just the sounds I tested it with I don't know. It's the only sampler I've owned. The filters are nice, I never used them much but a nice addition either way. And I wasn't aware the Emax has a synth feature. I liked that feature on the FZ-1, You can create lots of synth lines and it takes literally no memory to save on disk. I used filters on these. Not perfect but fun to mess with.

I've decided to sell FZ-1 because I upgraded to a new sampler. I feel like I need to expand a little after all these years.

So I hope this helps at all.

-fox

Message 3/3             07-Sep-99  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: Fz-1 VS. Sci Prophet3000

granny

Correction: There is actually a way to upgrade the FZ-1 to 4mb, but that includes lots of soldering and you have to purchase some rare and expensive (?) memorycircuits.

Does anyone have a 2mb expansion for sale, btw?

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)