aaa 2 hard drives - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: 2 hard drives

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             03-Aug-00  @  02:00 PM   -   2 hard drives

jaskim

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

how advantageous is it to have one drive for OS / Programs and one drive for audio? I have seen many pre-built systems with this configuration (unjustifiably expensive too) and am wondering how much two drives helps performance.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             03-Aug-00  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

k

well you can format them differently to take adnavtahe of the file types each drive'll be working with, the music drive gets less drastic wear as mostly it it delivering files from the same place all the time once the song is started and the files location supplied. if the os drive where you load proggies fucks up then the seperate audio drive usually lives, i've lost c drives a few times, but never e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l, etc, unless it is very old and very knackered and usually they give off noises or signs first...

Message 3/10             04-Aug-00  @  05:25 AM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

Jasper

you get a very slight performance loss, but it's only applicable to windows things like file searching or copying and stuff.

tell the truth, I aint noticed a loss at all.. just make sure you do things like setting up a user defined swap file, 2 1/2 times your memory is plenty.

Message 4/10             04-Aug-00  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

99devils

If you do use 2 seperate hard drives, if possible connect them to different IDE channels. Try to cable things up so that drives which are least likely to be used at the same time are on the same chain, ie boot drive and CD-RW, and Audio Drive and CD-ROM. Unlike SCSI, IDE doesn't handle two drives on one channel very well.

-Craig

Message 5/10             07-Aug-00  @  02:36 AM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

volley

I'm on Windows2000. I have one boot/OS drive and two extra drives (on different IDE chains) for audio.

When I repartitioned my audio partition to use BOTH drives (stripe set), I noticed a slight increase in the maximum number of simultaneous tracks available. Can't quantify, but if HD speed is an issue for you, a stripe set might help things...

Only issue right now is that if one drive fails, I lose the information on both.  

Message 6/10             23-Aug-00  @  07:44 AM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

Yop

what is a strip set??

Message 7/10             23-Aug-00  @  07:44 AM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

Yop

what is a stripe set??

Message 8/10             23-Aug-00  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

99devils

How's Win2K working out for you? What kind of cards, etc are you running?

-Craig

Message 9/10             23-Aug-00  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

jaskim

Link?:  Link

Striping is the key concept behind RAID. It is the interleaving of data across several disks with similar performance characteristics. If an array of 3 disks, for example, is operating in parallel, data can transferred in 1/n the time, compared to using a single disk. But the main advantage is fault tolerance... If 1 disk fails in a RAID 5 array, you loose no data (speed and stability are sacrificed), and once the bad disk is replaced, the array automatically starts to reconstruct itself. very cool.

Message 10/10             30-Aug-00  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: 2 hard drives

drastiksolutions

Link?: Link

I offethere are great advantages

The OS on a separate drive increaes your track playback by %40 percent and it also free's up memory and CPU power.

I have built about 100 audio machines and trust me this is the way to get more out of your PC.

looking for a upgrade, or consulting?

I offer packages to train and teach audios and the secrets of the miss-understood PC

http://drastiksolutions.11net.com

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)