aaa RADAR - Das Boot ist Ans Die Oder Fuss - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: RADAR - Das Boot ist Ans Die Oder Fuss

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             21-Aug-00  @  11:52 AM   -   Das Boot ist Ans Die Oder Fuss mit RADAR

wishdosh

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Huzzah!

You wait for one BeOS bus, then three come along at once...

Not only is Devil Studio (now known as dBe) coming on nicely, but there's MeV (son of MusicX for the ole Amiga) but most importantly, iZ Technology Corporation (an offshoot of Otari) has announced that RADAR, their successful hardware disk pro recording system has been ported to BeOS (previous versions have used iZ's own proprietary OS). The new platform will cost $5000 (as opposed to the previous $30000).

This looks like a good moment for Steinberg to add the two lines of code they need to finish Nuendo for BeOS and get it out on the market QUICK! Nuendo on BeOS is reportedly mindblowingly good. With Logic moving into surround sound (with an eye to post-production), maybe Emagic will get in on the act again. The $5000 price includes the PC, which kind of makes Nuendo look back right now - time for Steinberg to seize the market before it's too late.

What with
1) WDM driver (the new Win2K/Whistler format) delays and teething problems,

2) Win2K's far inferior multiprocessing (bear in mind the limits of Moore's Law), and

3) Microsoft's relentless march onwards to net integration (i.e. their poxy 'dot net' strategy) - the reason Steinberg gave for suspending BeOS development in favour of Windows in the first place,

BeOS appears to be receiving a serious lease of life. BeOS's modular approach (all functions are treated as processes which can be fired and hired at will), broadband from the ground up will mean that any internet integration (i.e. BeIA aka Stinger) will be far more seamless and unintrusive than that of Windows.

BeIA's modern structure (untramelled by 15 years of legacy baggage) allows a higher-level programming API (the entirety of which is public, I might add) which will permit much easier transition to new technologies. Imagine, for example, running Nuendo/RADAR on a bunch of ARM Thumb10 processors (which rival DSPs for price/performance but are very capable CPUs - they are the floating-point capable big brothers of the processors found in the Psion organiser).

Imagine the insurance in your musical and financial investment such portability would provide. Imagine not having to worry about patchbays, mixer settings, loading up samples from ZIP disks etc. etc. etc. And all of this will get us closer to doing what musicians should do, make music. Being spontaneous. Turning the amps up to 11. Hammering the keys of your softsynth without a care in the world.

Suddenly, the future looks a bit closer... I love you Be, mnurgh :-D

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             24-Aug-00  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: RADAR - Das Boot ist Ans Die Oder Fuss

GT

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Best post I have EVER seen on DT, outstanding!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)