aaa isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             24-Apr-98  @  09:12 PM   -   isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ?

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well, if the industry got together with MS surely they could get MS to release a fixed OS for music apps...... sounds sensible to me... then all the manufacturers/ software houses could be sure it'd work as it's be designed to assist our priorities..... then all the soundcard companies would have the same OS and all the music s/w houses too...... they could ask MS to make changes as they became apparently need......make sense ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             26-Apr-98  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ?

unity69

What's the deal with these problems you're havin' with VST?
I haven't read that stuff because it's so fucking long story there (Gubase and Cina in real world). So if you put it short, is it a problem with certain soundcards, graphic boards, opetrating systems or whatta heck?

I haven't noticed any problems with timing or much anything with VST. My kit: P2 233, 6.4GB Seagate Medalist UDMA U-ATA or what ever it is, ATI X@Pert Work, 32 MB memory, Ensoniq AudioPCI soundcard and I have one synthesizer connected to midi connectors.

Message 3/6             28-Apr-98  @  05:22 AM   -   RE: isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ?

Houseman

I don't think having a fixed OS made by MS for music apps is a good idea. This would allow MS to charge any price for the OS, and there would be no competition to keep MS fixing bugs, adding new features, and shipping new versions of the OS.

Take a look at BeOs. This OS is just starting out, and if MS isn't careful, this new OS could create a nitch within the music and graphics community, and, although not hurt MS's market share, it would make MS create a better product.

WE need the competition.

I think the major problem is that hardware companies are not creating software that complies with the set standards laid out for their hardware. PCI display adapters are a prime example of this.

This is why most of the new "cutting-edge", "full-featured" sofware apps were created on the Mac first, and then the PC. The Mac has a closed system that is the same for just about every Mac.

I, personally, like using PC's more than Mac's. But, then agian, I'm just a nerd.

Message 4/6             05-May-98  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ?

kilo

there are probs with vst and certain configs of hardware etc.... and dont tell me there aint..... all I'm saying is..... if cakewalk can install into any system and work first time... why not vst ?..... i just don't think it should be so hard to get a clean working glitchless system.....

the problems come from all over the place..... so i can't be specific... but for example... i had to remove the vst Effects.DLL from the Module directory on one system, cos it crashed vst everytime it recieved an incoming midi note.....

Message 5/6             05-May-98  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ?

sox

Link?:  Link

You're absolutey right kilo. It took them ages just to get a version of Cubase that would run on Windows properly, never mind all the problems with VST. You'd think they have it sorted by now.

I have noticed the same thingas well: different computer, different problems. Drives me mad.

Message 6/6             08-May-98  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: isn't it time we had music version WIN OS ?

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

I had a dream....... no problems with drivers, software bugs, soundcards and so on.

Maybe we will laugh about all that anoying stuff in the year 2030 !?

As long as Windows is the actual OS, trying to satisfy all the damands of all PC users (game-players, office-users, musicians etc.) we will have some problems with those IBM-compatible PC´s.

I hope there will be more competition on the market of OS systems. What motivation should Microsoft as monopolist have to create a "musicians OS" ?

Ciao

Clemens

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)