aaa Drum Remix - Intensely Annoying - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Drum Remix - Intensely Annoying

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             27-Apr-98  @  11:34 AM   -   Drum Remix - Intensely Annoying

rodneyh

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

One thing I really hate about Cubase is the way it destroys your drum rhythms when you try to separate the individual drum sounds of a drum track onto separate MIDI tracks using remix.

It always resets all the note lengths to 7 ticks and there is no way to prevent this.

Fine if your drum box or synth is set to not recognise note off.

But if your drum gear does recognise it, and you have carefully set the lengths to get your rhythm, you are stuffed.

There should at least be an option to retain the note lengths.

I've rang Steinberg Tech Support and emailed them to no avail. The best I could get was the Tech Support guy to admit there was a problem when I got him to reproduce the bug.

C'mon Steinberg - do something to fix MIDI aspects that don't work instead of just developing the audio side. You're a frustrating bunch of f..ks to deal with.

Rod.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             30-Apr-98  @  10:38 AM   -   RE: Drum Remix - Intensely Annoying

m2m

There is a work around even if long winded...

Copy your drum tracks as many times as you have instruments i.e. bass drum, snare, and hi-hat = 3 copies.
and name each track as the instrument.

Open each track in list edit and select the note of the instruments you want to clear i.e. if you open up 'bass drum' its usually on the note C0 so delete for 'Do' D (snare) and F* (Hi Hat) and then save the appended events - you should now just have the bass drum.

Do this to each track in turn - you will then have separated your drums without affecting any of the original MIDI information.

Jules Marchant
Club Cubase UK

Message 3/5             05-May-98  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Drum Remix - Intensely Annoying

kilo

hmm....i'll have to try that.....cos doesnt it retain the 'LENGTH' setting made for each note value in the drum-map ?... or do you mean that you have say a hi-hat and use a different length for various notes to effect the decay time of each individual note in the pattern ?...... if you do... then that is not good..... still, i find the drum map soooooo useful, i can't think why you'd want to put the drums on seperate tracks....

Message 4/5             05-May-98  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: Drum Remix - Intensely Annoying

sox

Link?:  Link

I didn't know this about the drum editor either (changing note length), I'll have to bear that in mind. I have my student's use the drum map to write in rhythms from step time sheets and then go into edit and play with the velocities to make it more "lifelike" (ahem!). I haven't shown them how to use the remix function yet (next few weeks) but I have shown them how to copy and delete notes from their parts to create different tracks of drums for editing. They play the drums off of the keys and then put them separate tracks.
I personally prefer all of my drums to be on separate tracks for mixing purposes. I can mute or delete just the snare or the bass drum (or any other drums) for more "dub" stylee mixes. I still use the drum editor for editing my "real time" playing via my MIDI kit or to step write stuff. I get pissed off not being able to edit the velocities in the drum map (Maybe I'm doing something wrong). I'm always jumping to the Edit page to change them.

Message 5/5             11-May-98  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: Drum Remix - Intensely Annoying

rodneyh

Thanks for the responses guys.

Jules I had figured this work around but I'd just prefer that Steinberg fix the problem!

Kilo your example about the hi-hats is exactly what I meant. By reducing the note lengths to 7 ticks it absolutely massacres open hi-hat and cymbal patterns, but it also even wrecks drums with faster decays like snares and kicks.

I like to be able to remix the parts onto separate tracks because it's easy to edit the mix (like Sox suggested). What I like to do is make up some rhythms and variations with all the sounds in the drum map, then separate onto individual tracks. Then I can easily build up the drum track by recombining parts of the rhythm, muting, trying rhythms on different sounds by transposing in the inspector, cutting and pasting etc.

Sox you can *easily* edit velocities in the drum map, just click on the little icon on the bottom left corner to bring up the "inspector" - then you can select "velocity" and edit individual beats, graphically draw in velocity fades and swells etc (great for weird effects and snare rolls).

Rod.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)