aaa Boss DR550 - Help - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Boss DR550 - Help

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             14-Jul-98  @  11:52 AM   -   Boss DR550 - Help

daniel.e.dockerty

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am a newboy to pc music and i have a problem operating my Dr550 through VST. How do i set up ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             14-Jul-98  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Boss DR550 - Help

kilo

shit... i types it all once and it dissapeared.....

ok.... go to vst... highlight track..... set it to channel 10...... set it to be DRUM track...... set L & R cursor 1 bar apart...... double click between them... a PART appears... double click on it..... you are now in the drum grid.....

ok... go to the DR and go into the midi section.... assuming you can access ALL the drum sounds via midi, and are not restricted to accessing ONLY the amount of sounds as there are pads...... make a note of all the drum sounds... and their associated midi note numbers.....

ok.... back to the drum grid.... it has a grid on right.... names on left... & a seperator down the middle... drag the seperator across far right....exposing all the data.... name & set each row working down.... setting the OUT notes on the grid to correspond with the DR note IN numbers for each named sound.....

leave the in notes, or make them start at C1 for kik drum etc working up a semitone for each IN note...... then you can trigger them via a keyboard.....

ok... work down the list putting the most used sounds at the top... (you can drag and re-arrange the order descending by clicking and dragging on the note names so it's not a problem to grab a lesser useed sound, and move it up to work on it whilst keeping a visible window of all the sounds you're using for a particular track your working on.........)

when you've created it...... test it, by either clicking ON the little speaker ICON above the drum grid area... when you click twice slowly on a drum name, it sounds... or put in some notes and run vst....

once it's right... simply save as a .DRM - DRUM MAP FILE.... you can import the drum-map file into any arrangement to work..... that's it.....

Message 3/4             19-Aug-98  @  06:59 AM   -   RE: Boss DR550 - Help

robertyoung

ok, i've read the above instructions,but still can't get cubase to reproduce the sounds from dr550.
should the drum grid be responding somehow when drum machine keys are pressed?
I have attempted to connect dr550 to PC (note that dr550 only has "midi in" socket)via cable to soundcard(awe 64 gold version), using both midi in and midi out cables.
I have set track channel to "any", and drum grid channels to 10, set dr550 to "midi setup", attempted to set out notes on grid to the numbers which appear in dr550 screen,
but they seem to revert back to keyboard notes.
cubase is producing drum type sounds but not the sounds
from the dr550.
Am I doing something wrong? can the drum sounds from dr550 be sent to cubase and stored?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Robert Young - Sydney, Australia

Message 4/4             19-Aug-98  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Boss DR550 - Help

sox

Link?:  Link

You need to have a keyboard plugged into the MIDI "IN" on your cable and the dr550 plugged with the "OUT" of your PC cable.
You should be able to play the dr550 (assuming that the drum machine is on the same MIDI channel as the highlighted track in VST) via the keyboard. The dr550 doesn't have to be on channel 10, it is assignable to any channel you want it on.
Make a note of which note on the keys plays which drum (you can see the keyboard light up in the EDIT page) and then go a do your drum map like Kilo suggests and save it. After you've done your drum map you'll be able to write in step time without a keyboard.

sox

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)