aaa Win98 not being supported by Steinberg - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             28-Jul-98  @  05:33 PM   -   Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

sox

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Had a chat with Steinberg UK about the Win98 crackling with audio (it only does this in VST). Only to be told that Steinberg is not supporting Win98 at this time (nor was he aware of them doing anything at the present). He stated that VST was a Win95 program and would not be supported under 98.
Any comments people?

sox

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             29-Jul-98  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

rocktone

Link?:  No link

Yeah...I've got a comment! The #%$@^# at Steinberg TOLD me to get Windows 98. I just bought VST 3.553 about 2 weeks ago. Before I installed...I called Steinberg US tech people and asked if there was anything I could do to enhance my system before I installed VST.

The guy at Steinberg Tech said "Get Win98...it's much more stable than 95...and do a clean install." I said "I thought you only supported 95." to which he said "Well 98 is just a debugged-upgrade of 95."

Go figure...I don't think any of them are sure what the hell they're doing!

Message 3/15             29-Jul-98  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

kilo

well, bear in mind ww distributors are NOT choosen for product knowledge... simple to shift stock....

Message 4/15             31-Jul-98  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

BillyBob

So what does that mean...? Does VST run under Win98 or not?

Message 5/15             31-Jul-98  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

sox

Link?:  Link

The guy also said that people who had done the upgrade over Win95 had a better chance than people who had done a clean install.
I know from experience he was probably right. I re-formatted after backing up for a clean install and now VST says that there is no ASIO driver for my soundcard, only directx (ie.playback-no record). Tried reinstalling the Win95 drivers but they wouldn't work with 98. Shame.

sox

Message 6/15             03-Aug-98  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

PM

I too was told to upgrade to Windows 98 by a Steinberg US support person. Steinberg are currently a second rate company with a large market share. Shame really. But the audio software market is expanding at a break neck pace, competition coming from everywhere, so I think things will change in the next year or two. I have very few positive experiences with Steinberg. What it comes down too is these companies advertise a minimum requirements for their products that encompass the largest slice of computer owners, while in reality much higher specs/requirements are needed to run their software effectively. Steinberg won't print 233 PII, SCSI, 128 MB etc..RAM on their adverts as minimum specs because only bloody 10% of computer owners out there have that spec, and not much more can afford to pay for a spec like that.

As computer prices drop these systems should become more realistic. Of course if Steinberg had decent programmers you wouldn't need those specs at all. The structure of the Windows programmers APIs and there memory hungry inefficient nature doersn't help their cause though. Windows struggles at good multimedia throughput unless you have top end hardware acceleration.

Shit I am ranting, OK.... bye

Message 7/15             04-Aug-98  @  03:01 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

Billy Bob

Nah you're not ranting...YOU'RE right...right you're bloody well right!

But it's not just a problem with Steinberg...all software writers are guilty of it. The hardware and chipsets are way more powerful than they are being manipulated...but market forces and apathy keep software engineers from writing really efficient code

Message 8/15             04-Aug-98  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

kilo

not the Grand Wizzard Mr Bob Lentini (IQS - Sawplus)... I can run sawplus on a dx100 with 8mb ram on win3.11 or 16mb on win95 !!!!, and get 6 stereo tracks !!!... no crashing... no problems...and it works first time with any soundcards I've tried, including 8 out cards.... he is the man in my eyes... it is such a wicked programme, i even use it as an editor it is soo fast to create multiple choice edits, remixes of tracks etc...

Message 9/15             05-Aug-98  @  05:58 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

Billy Bob

Oh no...not that Bob...he'd never say anything bad about his competitor...not THAT Bob.

Message 10/15             07-Aug-98  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

kilo

heh heh... well, who can blame him... his stuff is rock !... so why not theirs?....

Message 11/15             19-Aug-98  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

brett.adams

Win 98 and Layla are working fine for me!
It's a hardware problem with some of you guys. Buy a decent PC and soundcard and you won't come into to much problems.

Message 12/15             19-Aug-98  @  07:18 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

Kelaperse

I haven't come up with any new troubles with my VST after installing Win 98. I installed W'98 in order to get a more stable system but it didn't helped at all. Every once in a while a message pops up to say: "Program has committed an illegal function and must be closed" or something like that.

Don't know what crackling means? If its something with the soundquality, then W98 doesn't make difference to W95. My equipment is PII233, 32MB RAM and Ensoniq AudioPCI soundcard.

BTW, how much the amount of memory affects to the performance? Can I use more tracks or more effects just buying more memory?

Message 13/15             19-Aug-98  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

The amount of memory is very important for VST.
Less than 64 MB is not very good cos VST uses
this memory for effects jobs.

Your PC (233MHz) should be good for 8 stereo traks
simultaleously (do you use an Ultra DMA E-IDE controller
and a fast HD drive or SCSI-setup?)

Ciao

Message 14/15             20-Aug-98  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

Kelaperse

I've got Ultra DMA E-IDE with Seagates harddrive (9.5ms). I noticed that without using effects I can use many many more tracks.. I've done it with 12 tracks without problems and maybe could use even more.

But when I activate a couple of effects the whole system slows down to a degree of my old Commodore 64.

Thanks for the tip. Memory is so cheap nowadays that I think I will buy it some more.

Message 15/15             20-Aug-98  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: Win98 not being supported by Steinberg

BillyBob

Definitely...get MEMORY. You can configure memory per track in audio system menu in VST. I'd say get as much meme as you can afford ...at least 64 and really 128 MB if you can...then set memory per channel to 1024 kb and block size to at least 64 kb. For every track you set in these setting...VST will utilize 1MB of RAM...that's what you want if you have plenty of RAM. So if you set tracks to 24...then VST will use 24 megs of ram for tracking and whatevers left from your 64 MB's will be used for system...VST program...effects, etc.

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)