aaa Compression: plug in or hard gear-4 vocals - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Compression: plug in or hard gear-4 vocals

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             02-Sep-98  @  08:40 PM   -   Compression: plug in or hard gear-4 vocals

celtic_98

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Is it better to use a hard gear compression or a plug in? I have heard both case and am confused, I want to use it for vocals? Has anyone used both or familiar with both sides???????? Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             04-Sep-98  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: Compression: plug in or hard gear-4 vocals

B-Bob

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

While plug-ins get the job done they are no match for "hardwired" gear...especially for Vox. However...I tend to use both ...Light compression for tracking...to get smoother consistent signal input. then I add compression as needed in the mix.

Inexpensive plug-ins work ok if used disceetly on Vox...but remember the average listener knows weel what the human voice sounds like...and any artifacts introduced to the Vox track will be noticable. On the other hand with other instruments...the average listener doesn't know if they are listening to a Cheap Stratocaster clone or a $2500 Paul Reed Smith.

As far as plug ins go Waves C1 is excellent, but so are Cubase plugz. The C1 however is very smooth...much like a hard wired compressor.

Out board?? There are many to choose...but I've heard goos things about Behringer Composer...dBx 266...they both run about $250. If you want to add warmth to your mix and Vox...look at an ART TubePAC. It's a single channel tube pre-amp and tube compressor all rolled into one. It's very smooth and fairly transparent...has phantom power so you can use it for a DI box on your favorite Studio condenser mic. Cost about $220 retail...I bought one for $180 at fullcompass.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)