aaa terratec ews 64 and religion - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: terratec ews 64 and religion

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             23-Nov-98  @  02:58 PM   -   terratec ews 64 and religion

E.Macarthur

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I use VST (currently on version 3.553, but trying to get the 3.6 upgrade from Steinberg UK) with a Terratec EWS64 xl (Latest drivers 2.15).
My problem is Audio Timing.
Sometimes I record an audio track (via the digital input, through a DCC recorder in pause/record mode) and it works perfectly, with tight sync.
Then, using exactly the same ASIO, buffer settings etc., the next take will be late by as much as 250 milliseconds (varies according to some unknown force).
By nature I am not a believer in the supernatural, but I find myself having to say a little prayer before hitting the record button. Musicians don't like it when I explain that their best take will have to edited, just so that it sounds ok. Such instability makes me look incompetent, even though I test the system before the session begins.
I've tried all of the performance tweaks that have been published, and my system is certainly fast enough (200MMX pentium, 64MB ram, Seagate Barracuda SCSI drive etc.). I disable un-needed wave drivers (I currently use only 2 of a maximum 32) and switch off processor intensive plugins while recording.
Does anyone know a reliable way to fix this problem? (My MIDI timing is very tight and reliable).
I dont want to resort to exorcism (or computercide).
Please send any suggestions.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             24-Nov-98  @  08:38 AM   -   RE: terratec ews 64 and religion

melon

The VST3.6 update solved so many problems for me, maybe it will do the same for you. Why don't you just download it? By the way, you've spellt the name of your sound card wrong. It's "Terror-Tech".  

Message 3/4             30-Nov-98  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: terratec ews 64 and religion

e.macarthur

Thanks for advice on 3.6 update. I use university internet facilities and can't download the 7mb file onto floppies. I have ordered a copy of the 3.6 cd rom from cubase distributor in uk. I will hopefully be up and running by early next week.

Message 4/4             18-Dec-98  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: terratec ews 64 and religion

russellc

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a school of thought that beleives that VST won't work well on anything less than a 233MMX or even higher, DESPITE all that crap Steinberg spout about P166 being the minimum. If it's any consolation, I bought a PII 233 and it's bloody unreliable on that too. I tried the 3.6 upgrade but it wouldn't download to my system.
I've given up and gone back to Cakewalk.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)