aaa AMD vs. Intel and VST - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: AMD vs. Intel and VST

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             15-Dec-98  @  09:29 AM   -   AMD vs. Intel and VST

Kelaperse

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

How VST 3.6 works with AMD processors? Any problemos?

Somebody told me AMD's aren't as good in floating point maths as Intel PentiumII's and that would be negative considering music programs, is it so?

On the other hand AMD's seem to have more cache and that would be a good thing? Do AMD's require 100Mhz memory?

How do you compare AMDK6 400Mhz and PentiumII 400Mhz? Which one is faster? AMD's are way more inexpensive at least...

If you're thinking what this kind of thread is doing in the VST chat, I'll tell you. As soon as you get excited using all those fancy effects available for VST, you notice your PII233Mhz would be more suitable for word processing or something...

Thanks in advance all you mighty computer gurus!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             16-Dec-98  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: AMD vs. Intel and VST

aselix

I've been looking into this too, and it all points to using intel chips. Maybe the AMD and Cyrix can outperform intel in business apps, but for audio, the superior floating point power of the intel chips is recommended by just about all the audio companies.

If you get an AMD 350 or 400, it will work fine. But it would be the equivalent of a pentium 300 in floating point.

good luck,Aaron

Message 3/3             17-Dec-98  @  09:25 AM   -   RE: AMD vs. Intel and VST

Kelaperse

Thanks for advice! I guess I'll wait over X-mas 'til the prices drop and buy a PII450.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)